Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,692 times

Advertisements

I have a balcony/lanai on a 2nd floor condo on SK. The flooring is original to the condo and has a rolled-on membrane with wood underneath. Water has gotten underneath and now the floor is starting to sag. Looking for a contractor to fix this. According to the property manager they will need to remove all of the current flooring.. which will involve removing the lanai screen. ugh. Any contractor recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 10:44 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Have you checked your condominium documents to confirm that you are responsible for this repair?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:20 AM

704 posts, read 771,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Have you checked your condominium documents to confirm that you are responsible for this repair?
That's what I was thinking when I first saw this thread that the HOA is probably responsible for this.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:02 PM

809 posts, read 746,653 times
Default Rare props to BB

There is a big difference between a Condominium and a Homeowner's Association. If the OP owns a condo, the mention of HOAs is a source of confusion. FS 718 vs. FS 720. Probably sounds geeky, but I think it makes a significant difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
That's what I was thinking when I first saw this thread that the HOA is probably responsible for this.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:24 PM

704 posts, read 771,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
There is a big difference between a Condominium and a Homeowner's Association. If the OP owns a condo, the mention of HOAs is a source of confusion. FS 718 vs. FS 720. Probably sounds geeky, but I think it makes a significant difference.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know Florida law. In Texas, there is a good chance that the HOA would be responsible. The HOA or whatever it is called here of a condo I owned in Dallas firmly stated in I believe it is call their Declarations that I was only responsible for the repairs within the sheetrock unless there was an assessment then I was only responsible for a certain percentage. With that being said, I think it is worth the OP's time to check it out.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM

809 posts, read 746,653 times
OK OP, check out your condo documents. And if significant money is involved consider consulting with a lawyer (no worries I'm not a lawyer, and still adjusting from a divorce from one).

Don't just read your Association documents (as they may be an umbrella thing) but your condominium documents.

In my opinion, florida condo's were created to pander to the developers. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,692 times
Yes I have checked the condo docs. No, they are not responsible.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 PM

287 posts, read 299,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_please View Post
Yes I have checked the condo docs. No, they are not responsible.
sunshine_please:

I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Old 06-09-2016, 05:34 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_please View Post
I have a balcony/lanai on a 2nd floor condo on SK. The flooring is original to the condo and has a rolled-on membrane with wood underneath. Water has gotten underneath and now the floor is starting to sag. Looking for a contractor to fix this. According to the property manager they will need to remove all of the current flooring.. which will involve removing the lanai screen. ugh. Any contractor recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
I find this hard to believe that the condominium association is not responsible as this would still be consider within common shared elements even thought it's off your unit ~ have you contacted the BOD regarding this? If you're having the problem, you're probably not the first. You need to contact the management company for past documentation. I went through a repair on SK with a condominium & this was an association expense.

As far as contractor recommendations, Waterproofing Contractors along with Slider Engineering do major work as far as this kind of issue.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:01 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
There are many different arrangements for condos when it comes to who is responsible for what. I agree that the norm would be that the association would be responsible (that's why I brought it up) but I can recall a condo of single family homes where the association was responsible for almost nothing. That's one of the reasons condo buyers need to review their docs before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area