Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 06:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times

Advertisements

Hi,

How many of you have pool heaters? Do you use them a lot? Are they a waste of money or helpful?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
I do. They extend the swimming season. Don't need the heater from May thru Sept. It is best to have some king of pool cover though. We use solar rings.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,000 times
they are expensive, but if you have children, especially, they could definitely extend the season for you.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM

OK, thanks for the response. We are having a low budget pool put in (by low budget, I mean two of the PB we had come by didn't even bother to follow up with quotes), and are going to include a heater. Since it is an additional cost, I just wanted an idea of how useful they are. And we are intending to use the pool year-round.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:26 AM

809 posts, read 746,171 times
I'm assuming by pool heater, you mean "heat pump". Kinda like an air conditioner in reverse.

If you want to use the pool year round, I think it make sense to have it installed with the pool. Obviously no marginal cost when you don't run it.

I was interested in moving to a townhome with a small pool. Bad sun exposure. No pool heater. Just one of a few reasons I didn't bid on the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
OK, thanks for the response. We are having a low budget pool put in (by low budget, I mean two of the PB we had come by didn't even bother to follow up with quotes), and are going to include a heater. Since it is an additional cost, I just wanted an idea of how useful they are. And we are intending to use the pool year-round.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
We bought house 4 yrs ago with pool original to late 70s house--
Had electric heat pump/pool heater installed about 2 yrs ago as Christmas present to ourselves.
We run at holiday times when we have family in and other times in winter if we know people will swim--we are not big pool people ourselves and will turn off heater/set lower if it is just us.
Takes about 2 days to heat the pool to 86 or so since in the winter we would not run the pool pump at night--

Right now temp is set at 86 on heater--if the water in pool falls below that and the pump is on, the pump will route water through the heat pump and warm it up...

I was in early Saturday like before 10am--grandson was here and wanted to swim--
The pump was not running but the thermometer said temp was 86--so ground water has warmed up with heat of the days to help pool retain warmth...
Husband just hasn't set the temp o heater lower...

If you are installing a pool you might consider solar heating for pool--
Much more cost effective than heat pump---
People in my neighborhood which has no natural gas option have been wanting people to turn in their preference to TECO to see if it is viable to have NG lines laid in neighborhood
I think they think it will be inexensive and they can switch to NG water heaters/heaters and pool heat...but running lines and adding mains is normally cost prohibitive after homes are in...

Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
There are a few options for 'pool heaters'.
Solar panels on the roof cost involved for operation is the pump.
Electric
Gas [propane]
Heat pump

Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM

Thanks for all the perspectives and comments, much appreciated.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:03 PM

51 posts, read 80,112 times
Newtovenice,
I am curious who you are using and how your experience has been so far. We live in South Sarasota and thinking about installing a pool.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:12 PM

Hi Volgirl65,

Still haven't signed a contract. We had 6 companies come out, received 4 quotes and are deciding between two companies. We are on a very low budget, hence, the 2 companies that didn't bother following up with us. I had a really tough time trying to figure out who to even contact. No one wants to recommend anyone. No one wants to say stay from anyone. I just did a bunch of research and starting calling to set up appointments. After the first two appointments, we had enough info to kind of feel out whether the company would be a good fit. Things the person mentioned or did NOT mention.

But can't give any feedback re actual installation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area