Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 PM

83 posts, read 277,556 times

Advertisements

Love the Darien, CT comment and totally agree! We're moving from uptight, insular, pressured Fairfield County, CT (both professionals) to Bradenton....and CANNOT WAIT!!
Stepford Wifedom is highly overated and give me normal life anytime..

Old 04-30-2008, 09:36 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I can't see making more than $10 an hour. That's what I make. Five years from now...I should STILL be making $10 an hour. I won't, they'll give me raises throughout, but that amount of money is more than anyone "needs".
C'mon now, wait till next year when gas is $10 a gallon.....

Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 AM

50 posts, read 205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariadbd View Post
We've been to and from Bradenton for over 10 years now and have done a heap of research before we decided to make the move. I felt a huge amount of indecision and concern from reading many of the comments on the boards - but I've made numerous visits in recent months, and every visit meeting with people living there, other families, schools, waiting staff in restaurants, the mail guys - everyone - has given me a totally positive perspective. M
I completely agree with this! My husband and I were researching this move for the past few years. But the overly inflated housing market had forced us to stay in TN longer. Now, so much has changed. And having not visited since the summer of 2006 (during the last wave of the inflation) we relied on these forums to get a feel for actually living there. We had actually let comments on these forums sway us a bit.

Then we finally visited again in early April and fell in love with the area all over again. It may not be for everyone, but it is certainly for us. The people are so friendly and laid back. There is so much to do and Bradenton is in an excellent central location! If you feel like going to the beach, take your pick! It's quick drive to Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, Siesta Key or St. Pete! Not to mention the active art communities surrounding the area. Take a visit and see for yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM

11 posts, read 27,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

You should be grateful it IS that cheap, its more than 2 dollars a litre here in the UK, and it's still rising!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Don't really drive all that much. Every two weeks, I probably put $30 in the tank of my girlfriend's car--I don't own one.

I walk, or ride the bus. Sometimes I might borrow her car, but I don't like driving--traffic's one of the reasons.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingfromUKtoAmerica View Post
You should be grateful it IS that cheap, its more than 2 dollars a litre here in the UK, and it's still rising!
I don't find it cheap. I've given up driving to work & take the bus. $1.50/day vs. $4.00 in gas....in fact, found more people on the bus today than ever.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
I don't find it cheap. I've given up driving to work & take the bus. $1.50/day vs. $4.00 in gas....in fact, found more people on the bus today than ever.
at $2 a litre, that's almost $8 a gallon...what the poster is saying is be grateful that it isn't almost $8 a gallon!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
at $2 a litre, that's almost $8 a gallon...what the poster is saying is be grateful that it isn't almost $8 a gallon!
I hear ya....no math ability here...when it gets $8 here, we'll all be a bit unable to do the math.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 10,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblimo View Post

But there are positive aspects to living in our area. We know most of our neighbors, so the "thugs" outsiders see are, to us, okay young guys who keep an eye on things and scare away thieves. And barking dogs and lots of Mexicans with children... all this keeps our crime rate LOWER than in the "out east" areas where both parents are working and the kids are abandoned after school, and half the houses are empty either because they are owned by failed speculators or because they are second homes for up-north richies who only come here a few months a year.
Are you serious? How long have you lived here? IMO this is very inaccurate all the gangs and violence in Bradenton are West of I75. Typically in any area the further you go out towards the country the less violence there is. I transport my kids South (out East) using school choice because even though we live out east the county wants to transport my children 45 minutes into town where racial tension is high (Lincoln and Palmetto schools) just to keep the mix even. I read the newspaper and watch the news there are other high schools with problems, like Southeast. What about the little boy's anniversary who died a year ago because he was caught in gang cross fire while riding his bike (Stacy Williams ring a bell). Here's a good article to read Bradenton.com | 05/18/2008 | Remembering Stacy: Lessons of tragedy (broken link) . We lived off of Cortez Ave for 9 months while our house was being built and the police were in the complex every night for some kind of problem.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:29 PM

17 posts, read 82,979 times
Default Bradenton Does Not Suck, And Is Not Crime-ridden.

I've Lived Here For Years And Want To Move; However, We Hear Nothing About Any "huge" Crimes, Or Crime Areas, Or Whatever. It's Like Any Other Town.... Bad Things Can Happen Anywhere....
But No More So In Bradenton Than Anywhere Else. People Here Don't Even Think Of This Area As Being "filled With Crime" Because It Isn't. I've Lived In A Very Nice Area For 25 Years, And I've Never Had Any Type Of Problem Happen To Me Or Anyone I Know. I Also Grew Up Here And Spent 10 Years In Bradenton Before Going Off To College... Again.. No Problems, Or Thoughts Of Problems. I Guess Things Happen In "iffy Areas," But That's The Same Everywhere. My Problem With Bradenton Is That It's Totally Unsophisticated And Has The "good Ole Boy" Attitude.
Also...... There Is Nothing To Do, Nowhere To Go, And Boring!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area