Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 05:22 AM

12 posts, read 8,121 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Florida in the next month or 2. I'd love to live in Sarasota or Bradenton but am thinking Tampa may be cheaper. Any suggestions on towns in between Sarasota & Tampa?

I don't want to pay movers to move my stuff because it'll cost too much, but I also don't want to drive a uhaul, any other suggestions that might be cost effective?

Finally, what would you think would be the best way to look for a job? I have an address in Tampa I can use, but if they want an interview, I'd have to fly down. Should I look before I move or just wait to get there? Other than indeed & those types of sites, is there another place I could look for local jobs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 06:32 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
What kind of job are you looking for? If you are looking for a lower paying service job or office work, you could probably find something after arriving but that is still risky if you don't have money saved up. If you are looking for more of a career type position, you are better off utilizing the local address and flying down for an interview. It might be cheaper to live here than in the NE but that doesn't mean it is cheap. Coming to Florida without a job and without a fairly large bank account is basically the same as starting a new but under-capitalized business. Extremely risky....

Old 08-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Great, thanks. I have more than enough in savings to not have to work for a couple of years, but of course I don't want to do that. Any suggestions on steps to start the relocation process? I've called a couple of chambers to get help with finding a place.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:29 PM

Chambers of Commerce? I don't think they will help much with a place to live. You didn't mention whether you wanted to rent or buy but, either way, start be searching the MLS to get an idea on price vs. what you get for the money. Our MLS can be searched at www.MyFloridaHomeMLS.com. I would find the job first, then find a place within a reasonable distance. You could do it the other way but, again, it's probably more risky.

What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Uship for moving.....

Tampa has some great areas with houses at amazing prices! I have a nephew who is a great young realtor there and the stuff he posts is much more reasonable than Sarasota.

If you have years worth of savings....and it were me, I'd take the plunge and move down and then look for a job. But that's me.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:13 AM

Bbronson I was in the investment field for over 15 years but I think I want to do something new. I was thinking of possibly working with seniors in a home or some type of administrative work to get my foot in the door of a different industry.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:14 AM

Craigirl would you be willing to share his contact info?

Old 08-14-2016, 08:00 AM

18 posts, read 14,033 times
If you still have a 7, etc you'd be wise to contact Raymond James at their home in St Pete...also DTCC, the others with massive presences are Capital One, Citibank, Aegon, and huge Franklin Templeton...also JPMC has a huge presence.

Don't come to FL without a job.That's nutty.

Alternative moving are noted freight carriers. I've even moved boxes etc cheaply with UPS freight, and over the road carriers. PODS may be an option as well.

Driving a Uhaul truck, governed with a speed control sucks. You don't want to drive from the NE

Old 08-14-2016, 02:14 PM

I don't know what the job market is for senior care positions but I doubt they pay very well. If you don't need much, though, I have seen that there is a fair amount of turnover in the two places I know first hand, and I also can tell you that there have been several new independent and assisted living facilities open around here. It would not surprise me to hear that there are more coming because the population is aging and the need will continue to increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area