Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 05:35 AM

12 posts, read 9,703 times

Advertisements

I am interested in purchasing another house in Florida. I own one now that is not in a community that I plan on selling and I am looking to move in to a community. One community that has caught my eye is Heron Creek Golf & Country Club in North Port FL. Any opinions?

I never lived in a community before so what should I look for as a first time community home buyer? I am looking for an approximately 2,000sq foot home +/-. Should I look at Villa's or Houses??

Any recommendations for other golf or non golf communities in the area would be helpful. I am open to all suggestions.

Your help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:06 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Heron Creek is a beautiful community and I've sold many homes in there.

I have a few questions- Are you a golfer? I usually don't recommend a golfing community for a non golfer. The main reason is that most people buy in golfing communities because they like to golf. Everyone at the pool, clubhouse and so forth will be talking about golf and you will probably feel left out if you can't join in on the golf conversation (I just noticed your user name and I'm assuming you do golf). Even some golfers don't want to pay the fees of a golfing community because there are so many courses nearby. My next question is, what type of amenities are you looking for? Golf, tennis, walking trails, pet parks, pools, etc. You want to be in a community with amenities that you will use. Do you have animals? Some communities have restrictions on what type, how many or the size of your pets. How far do you want to be from the beaches? Heron Creek is about 35 minutes from the beaches. You'd be closer if you were in the Venice area. Most villas aren't 2000 sq ft.

In a community you would want to see what they have been talking about in their meetings and get a copy of the budget to make sure they're solvent and of course look over the HOA rules to make sure you're comfortable with them.

Good luck with your home search!

Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
Giving suggestions for communities in the area would depend on what you are looking for as far as price range and amenity must haves. Keep in mind that some of the golf course communities such as Heron Creek require a membership fee on top of HOA fees and some communities also have CDD fees. So you really need to look at all costs involved for living in each different community.

You can learn more about Heron Creek by visiting their web site. It has the different membership options and additional information about the community. It is a nice gated community close to amenities in North Port for shopping, restaurants, etc. And it is not too far to go to the beach in Venice.

What cities or towns are you interested in? I would assume you are looking for a single family home. Here are just a few of the communities.

North Port
Heron Creek - golf
Bobcat Trail - golf
Sabal Trace
Cedar Grove
Cypress Falls
Lakeside Plantation
Talon Bay

Port Charlotte & Charlotte County
Deep Creek - golf
Kings Gate - golf
Riverwood - golf
River Club
Suncoast Lakes
South Gulf Cove
Rotonda West

Old 09-14-2016, 04:25 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
Be award that Heron Creek was built on a landfill

Old 09-15-2016, 06:52 AM

27 posts, read 31,823 times
I will be glad to explain all I can about Heron Creek as I have lived there for the past 7 years as a Snow Bird.

First if you are not interested in a Golf & Tennis environment then don't look in Heron Creek. Heron Creek is a full Golf & Tennis Country Club. No sense in buying in a place you are not going to use.

I have lived in Heron Creek for 7 years and never paid a Membership fee on top of the HOA. I never heard of it and It does not exist. For comparisons of HOA fees here's a list below of what is provided in the Villa I live in.

I live in a 1980 square foot Villa. Heron Creek Villas are Doubles Back to Back. Most are larger than a single home. But, they rarely come up for sale and are prime property within the community.

I pay $729 per quarter for my HOA fee (Please Read and Compare to other Communities)

Outdoor Maintaining Lawn, Mulch, Bushes, Weeds & Common Areas.
Yearly around outside house Pest Control
Tile Roof Washing every two years. Cleaning Under warranty. If dirty prior roof will be re-cleaned free.
Dryer Vent Cleaning in House every 5 years
All common area maintaining. Example power wash sidewalks yearly.
Exterior House Painting every 5 years
Sprinkler/Irrigation Water and Maintaining

Here is the Real Bargain included in the HOA. Comcast Cable is included. Full High Speed Internet & Digital Cable TV.

Compare what many other communities in the area provide for Cable and you only get basic TV with about 10 TV Stations.

I pay $0.00 per month for Comcast Cable and I get High Speed Internet Service/Modem and Digital Cable TV with DVR all included in my $729 per quarter HOA fee. Value$$$$

Drive around Heron Creek then compare the street and homes view ambiance and compare it to other Communities. I've been in every surrounding community in the area and nothing beats the pristine well designed look of Heron Creek.

Heron Creek has 27 Golf Holes which I can speak for because I play often. The Golf course just completed a 1 Million dollar renovation. 18 Greens were rebuilt and fairways have been replaced. I will say, the courses finish maturing they will be the best golf courses in the area.
Speaking for Tennis I can't because I do not play. The clubhouse & three restaurants are well priced and the food & service is excellent.

Buying any real-estate, the most widely used words are "Location, Location, Location" Heron Creek is in the middle of every amenity you can think of. From Shopping, City Services & Major Highways. 2 miles from 41 and 2 miles from 75.

The landfill rumors are all poppy **** from the people who purchased early on up to 2007. No problems have surfaced in the 15 years Heron Creek has been around. Buyers remorse if you ask me. It happened to millions who purchased in FL during the Get Rich Era.

NOTE***** Heron Creek except for 3 homes out of 700 are not in the County Flood Zone areas. Caution when buying a home in the area. Get the Real facts if your potential buy is in a Flood Zone. If it is, you could pay an arm and a leg for Homeowners Insurance.

Heron Creek has 27 Holes of Golf and has 350 Members. They do filter in the public, but your paid membership provides you priority Tee Times over outside play. Heron Creek only allows the Public to play the courses 10 rounds. A Computer System keeps track. Heron Creek will refuse play for outside players trying to play Round #11. This protects the paying members. Also, with 350 members I've never not been able to get a Tee Time. It's unheard of at Heron Creek. And, I don't see them ever going belly up like Sable Trace Country Club down the street did last year.

Do your homework. Many golf course communities have shared Tee Times. Meaning you may only be allowed to play on example; Tuesday, Thursday & Sundays. Ask the questions.

YES, Heron Creek has a required membership as a home owner. A social membership is the minimum requirement. Fee is approximately $2200 per year. Again, makes no sense to belong to a CC and not play golf or tennis.

Heron Creek does not have a DDA Fee. An approximate $1,000-$2,000 savings on your City Tax Bill yearly. Ask the question when you are out shopping at other communities. These fee's can be hidden.

Well, I think I said enough for you so far. If anybody would like any back up to anything I stated feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you be as informed as you can be.

I will say it again. If you are looking for a Community only environment there's many many places besides Heron Creek. But, if you are looking to buy a home in a community that has Golf, Tennis, Pool and numerous social activities then in my opinion Heron Creek is the place to live with the greatest value.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:51 PM

It is not a rumor - Heron Creek IS built on a landfill - and if you don't believe it you are just kidding yourself -

Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 AM

Nancy, I will not disagree with you that some of the land area at Heron Creek has been raised with Land Fill Material. Florida is one big swamp and has to be filled in. Most of the coastal developments in the USA are built on land fills. Land fills are not a bad thing as long as they are installed properly. 80% of all typical residential homes in FL are raised via Landfill.

I haven't heard of any problems with the solid land fill area of Heron Creek. The "Hill" at the Heron Creek clubhouse has been there for 15 years and nobody I know of has grown a 3rd arm yet. If that's what you assume the problem with the land fill could be.

I'm not really sure of your point.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:09 PM

There was a big controversy about what Heron Creek was built on - I wish I could find the links - they were saying it was toxic - my point is - since I am originally from NJ - the toxic landfill capital - is that I would not risk my health in that particular area - I could be extra paranoid - I just want people to know what they are getting into. You might think I am totally wrong - I would research before buying -

Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
There was a big controversy about what Heron Creek was built on - I wish I could find the links - they were saying it was toxic - my point is - since I am originally from NJ - the toxic landfill capital - is that I would not risk my health in that particular area - I could be extra paranoid - I just want people to know what they are getting into. You might think I am totally wrong - I would research before buying -
Is this what you're looking for?

//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...-landfill.html

Old 09-22-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post

I have lived in HC for years. I have seen all the U-Tube videos and heard all stories of toxic waste under the "Hill" at the clubhouse. Over the years the "Hill" has been drilled, bored & tested many times with "NO" toxic chemicals found. The owners and the City of North Port put the fabricated story to bed many years ago. You do not hear much about it anymore as it was never a problem to begin with. I guess the originator of the story never received her ransom as probably intended from the HC owners and quit beating the false lame story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area