Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:34 AM

133 posts, read 129,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wow, I haven't been on this forum for a bit and I come back to see not one, not two, not three, but FOUR threads about lousy burger joints! What's your point, OP? Sounds like you have some gripe with Benderson Development, which is something most people probably don't care about.

BTW, my favorite burger is Skinny's on Anna Maria Island. Made fresh, medium-rare, with mayo....mmmm mmmm. I had never heard of putting mayo on burgers til I moved here but I'm a fan!

I have no gripe about Benderson or any other developer. I was discussing the proliferation of a specific retail segment of food establishments occupying the same conceptual space, That space of retail is overcrowded and has many many financial woes. Benderson Development happens to own ALL of the properties all around UTC, i.e. from the mall to east of the mall and even across University in Manatee County, including ALL of the retail strips and enclaves west of there which also contain all of the burger joints/fast casual restaurants that are, or shall be under financial pressure in the near future (and some are already faltering)
My comments are about economics of this area and really nationwide. YOU have the ability to simply ignore all threads that irk you. That's pretty smart isn't it ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wow, I haven't been on this forum for a bit and I come back to see not one, not two, not three, but FOUR threads about lousy burger joints! What's your point, OP? Sounds like you have some gripe with Benderson Development, which is something most people probably don't care about.

!

Just for your education, in today's WALL STREET JOURNAL (Friday, October 7, 2016), there is a FRONT PAGE article (continuing on A10 - a FULL page) discussing "burger wars", McDonald's, smaller chains and millennial behavior, and customer expectations and competition. I'll say this : the Sarasota-Manatee dining market is not dominated by millennial demographic and tastes at all. They don't make much money here, and don't exist in huge numbers compared to other age segments. If some of the newer joints are trying to attract and prosper off of the millennials in THIS market, they will starve. Maybe you will take the time to read the WSJ article for yourself. They don't put BS stories on their FRONT PAGE. It's about economics, friend...and economic viability. That's why I discussed the issue locally. Clearly the WSJ's editorial board found the topic of interest to their readers, and germane to the current competitive business environment, just as I did.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:53 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,850,828 times
I don't eat at any of those burger joints and never will. If I want a burger I make it at home or eat at one of my favorite nice sit-down full restaurants. Honestly I don't know how most of these chain restaurants even stay in business. We can't afford to eat out that much. These days I would rather save my money and eat out less often and when I do just go to what I considere a "real" restaurant.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,002,031 times
I love BurgerFi.

I do want to mention that fresh cut fries are only sustainable for about two weeks out of the year. That's it. That's why Danny Meyers restaurants all went to frozen.

Potatoes are only harvested once a year.

Potatoes must be at the perfect Ph level in order to fry up nice and tasty, crisp and crunchy and not soggy. This is only happening about two weeks out of the year.

While fresh cut fries sound nice in theory, in execution it is almost impossible.

Knowing someone will most certainly argue this with me, this information is from my husband who has both a bachelors degree in biology from UNC-Chapel Hill and a culinary degree from CIA and has also been a successful restaurateur for the past almost 40 years.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:17 AM

@blueherons~

Your claim in re so-called "fresh cut" potatoes is a good and valid point.

Perhaps some readers also don't know that many restaurants are duping their customers by claiming "their fries" are "fresh cut", when they are no such thing, they just appear visually to be fresh cut, and presented as if they are. I can guarantee that several of these joints around SRQ-Mana are lying to their customers - they are serving a new brand and wave of FROZEN fries. Similarly, some are advertising Angus Beef or Wagyu, which most times it's no such thing, and most consumers can't taste the difference between "types of cow meat" lol. Angus is not a grade of meat, it's a type of cow...lol. Ditto Wagyu. Jobbers and restaurants sometimes can't verify what they are getting and selling, and customers damn sure can't taste the difference in GROUND beef cooked patties. It's smoke and mirrors for the large part. Ditto potato fries. For example: BURGERFi only calls their fries "HAND-CUT FRIES" on their menu, which is MEANINGLESS. Hand cut where? Hand cut by whom?? Hand cut with the help of an automatic machine ??? lol...it's marketing and lies.

I'm sure that you know about the worldwide potato product called "STEALTH FRIES"...so-called hand-cut even with partial skin-on, etc. This product is ALL frozen. It's a scam...a restaurant chain can use words like "fresh", "hand-cut", "natural" to describe most anything they serve. It's like saying "locally grown"..lol.."locally sourced"..lol...."local" to where??

Last edited by TyVincente; 10-10-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,847,255 times
I did not know that about the fries, thanks for posting Blueheron. I'll check into it.

That being said, they are still my favorite fries, ever. We were there yesterday and the place was packed. All tables inside were filled, and more people were coming in when we left. So I think Ty won't be able to post gleefully about this burger joint's demise anytime soon.

And yes, consumers that eat minimally processed food on a regular basis can definitely taste the difference between garbage and quality. It's why fast food addicts don't "get" the BurgerFi concept. Or like the food there as it tastes very different than the drive-up chains.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:55 AM

^^^I don't know what's eating you. I'm not "gleefully" doing anything about "burger joints"

I'm simply posting about the economic REALITY about this particular retail segment being very very crowded, competitive, and trendy...yes, even in Sarasota-Manatee. I'm not the only professional doing that or noticing what's happening in this sector. THE WALL STREET JOURNAL printed a front page to full-page examination of this identical trend and failures.

I don't really care if BURGERFi survives or not. That's not my concern or my point.

I CAN guarantee you that there shall be continued failures, drop-outs, consolidation and bankruptcies in this very tight and overly trendy retail restaurant space of "fast-casual", and even "drive through". The evidence of this shrinkage has been all around you, if you're paying attention.

When the novelty of a new casual restaurant wears off, that's when you will see the efficacy of their business model, prowess, ROI, and viability. Any restaurant might "make it" for a while in this narrow conceptual space. I'm simply noticing tremendous pressure in this segment, from overhead such as LEASE payments, to labor costs. Just ask joints like Ruby Tuesday, and local failures like Revelry. As a side-note, I'll bet newer places such as Burgers and Beer will also become casualties as well. That's my opinion and take on that restaurant sector. Time will tell.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:21 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,847,255 times
Novelty only wears off if the product is terrible.

If the product is good, people will always come back for seconds.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 AM

547 posts, read 921,178 times
I wonder how many Burgers (meals) they need to sell to cover monthly expenses?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:52 AM

For your information and TRUTH, provided and written about by investigative reporters: (Forbes Magazine)

Most recently, a thorough investigation by the Tampa Bay Times found that so-called “farm to table” restaurants routinely lie about the quality, freshness, and source of their ingredients, passing off industrial feedlot beef as grass fed; regular produce as organic; frozen farmed fish as fresh wild caught; and so on and so on.

Forbes Magazine also reveals other truths already known to ME:

They confirm unequivocally that almost ALL “Kobe Beef” sold in this country is fake, and so is a lot of so-called Japanese “Wagyu.” Wynn Las Vegas resort has the best selection of Real Japanese beef in the Western Hemisphere.It
ain't happening in Sarasota/Manatee.

Believe what you wish. You're not getting premium anything. You're getting hosed.

Again I'm not gullible or dumb enough to believe that a burger joint like BURGERFi is providing "real DOUBLE WAGYU" on their "CEO burger". I would be a FOOL to believe that in MOST of these burger joints you're actually even getting ANGUS BEEF !! NO WAY. I would be a BIGGER FOOL to believe I'm getting KOBE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area