U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 09:11 AM

93 posts, read 369,356 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been looking at Venice, and the surrounding areas for a home for my husband and me. We are retired.

I noticed that there are a lot of homes, that do not seem to have any RV parking available. If anyone knows about these areas, could you tell me how do you store your boat/trailers? What if you have a cab over camper? Not a lot of garages there. I have seen some, just not as many as I would think. Is there a reason for this? Flooding maybe?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 AM

40 posts, read 283,612 times
No RV parking can be due to lot size or community restrictions. A lot of home owner associations have rules prohibiting parking of recreational vehicles, boats, commercial vehicles on the property. They do allow you to have it there temporarily for loading and unloading, but that's about it.

There are a number of RV storage areas that allow you to park in either community parking or shaded parking for a monthly fee. I know the inner circle of Rotonda has a very large gated RV/boat parking area available to residents.

Garages also depend on when the home was built. You will probably see a lot of older homes that either have a one car garage or what used to be a one car garage which has since been converted into additional living space. If you have a cab over camper you'll probably need a higher garage door opening in order to fit it into the garage which then leads to needing a higher ceiling, etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbowley View Post
No RV parking can be due to lot size or community restrictions. A lot of home owner associations have rules prohibiting parking of recreational vehicles, boats, commercial vehicles on the property. They do allow you to have it there temporarily for loading and unloading, but that's about it.

There are a number of RV storage areas that allow you to park in either community parking or shaded parking for a monthly fee. I know the inner circle of Rotonda has a very large gated RV/boat parking area available to residents.

Garages also depend on when the home was built. You will probably see a lot of older homes that either have a one car garage or what used to be a one car garage which has since been converted into additional living space. If you have a cab over camper you'll probably need a higher garage door opening in order to fit it into the garage which then leads to needing a higher ceiling, etc.

Hope this helps.
Yes, it sure did. Thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,166 times
Be sure you know what you are getting into, if you are retired you might want to try moving to a *slightly* more rural area that isn't too far away from the bigger cities. I live in Sarasota County and most of my co-workers are people who have been dragged out of retirement because they moved here and they couldn't afford it anymore. If you are loaded, than its all good, there are some really nice places out here, but I might try looking more towards Arcadia or even as close as North Port and Port Charolette, thats where the REAL deals happen, Venice is almost as pricey as Sarasota itself and Nokomis and Englewood aren't enough of a savings to make it worth it... Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Thank you. It looks like we will rent for awhile, and look around.

At least we can then get some real figures as to the cost of the mortgage, with taxes and what ever insurance is going to be.
Thank you. So many people are really very helpful to try and answer the questions put to you guys out there

I sure want to live within our means if you know what I mean.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,234,728 times
A number of people here in Port Charlotte have those big garages . Ask SOFLGIRL for some help in the northport-port charlotte area

Old 02-27-2008, 06:04 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,595,645 times
This is right down my alley since we've spent the last 6 weeks looking for a home that we could also keep our small RV at.
We loved Nokomis, it's a cute small town,but couldn't find anything we wanted to buy. Came close though. Be sure to ask whether the house has central water/sewer. Quite a lot of the area is on well/septic and the water needs major filtration (whole house reverse osmosis machine). Parts of South Venice are the same.
I think you will have a difficult time finding a place in Venice that is RV friendly since it has a lot of homeowner associations there.
We wanted to have our RV at home with us for convenience and FINALLY found a great home in Englewood, just south of Venice.
Renting is a great idea but you will have some of the same RV problems with renting. (We thought about going that route also).
Good luck with your search.
PM me for realtors names, we met a couple great ones in our 6 week search.

Last edited by imagardener; 02-27-2008 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
This is right down my alley since we've spent the last 6 weeks looking for a home that we could also keep our small RV at.
We loved Nokomis, it's a cute small town,but couldn't find anything we wanted to buy. Came close though. Be sure to ask whether the house has central water/sewer. Quite a lot of the area is on well/septic and the water needs major filtration (whole house reverse osmosis machine). Parts of South Venice are the same.
I think you will have a difficult time finding a place in Venice that is RV friendly since it has a lot of homeowner associations there.
We wanted to have our RV at home with us for convenience and FINALLY found a great home in Englewood, just south of Venice.
Renting is a great idea but you will have some of the same RV problems with renting. (We thought about going that route also).
Good luck with your search.
PM me for realtors names, we met a couple great ones in our 6 week search.
Thank you Iamagarder for the heads up on the water issue. My husband is a retired Water Treatment supervisor out in northern Ca. I will send your info on to him. He is a lot more knowledgeable then me concerning water issues.

We mostly have lived in areas where our own home had wells and septic system. We live in a rural area now, about 5 miles from town. We have about six home sharing the well system here.

My husband added a generator to the well system last year, as we would often be with out power due to the storms up here in Northern Washington. Most of us had generators for our homes, but that well would be off for 3 days sometimes. If you ever been with out water for a few days, you know how much we take it for granted. I never realized how often I washed my hands til then.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 PM

69 posts, read 223,997 times
You must not be looking in the right areas for a location that you can park your RV on your lot. There are places also that you can store your RV in Venice. I can help you if further with both real estate rental info and storage. if you need further information. There are locations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area