Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:20 AM

461 posts, read 554,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hmmm...lots of questions!

Actually, I have no seen an influx of Californians to SRQ. So that's number one.
The biggest drivers of growth are probably:
1. Retirees - or at least 50+ - who come from various places.
2. Snowbirds - could be younger than some retirees - or could overlap.
3. Escapees - Florida has always been a place that unhappy (or dreaming) people ran to in order to start a new life. It rarely works out as planned - but this demo can include everyone from singles to divorcees to families...of any age and from most anywhere.
4. Foreigners - LOTS of folks from other countries - Russia, Peru, Germany, UK, etc. moving either full time or 1/2 time to SRQ.

It's interesting how "californication" can be something in the mind which may conflict 100% with reality.

For example, I have a daughter who lives in the Bay Area. Every neighborhood is like a small village - they know everyone, they have get togethers, help each other out and even have a neighborhood tool borrowing list.

On the other hand, a lot of people who move to Florida full time find it very hard to integrate into the community because - well, lots of reasons. Some of the longer term residents and "natives' of the SRQ area are quite "different", running the gamut from "coal rollers" (trucks that intentionally spew out pollution) to "Trump Nation" (Donald had a landslide here). I think we all can agree that "Californians" would not give Trump a massive victory.

So that shows a bit of the personality of the populace. I have some friends who moved here full time from New England and they found they often have to hide their "real" life (they are, as New Englanders will be, very liberal on just about everything). It's as if the locals expect everyone to be a winger....I saw much the same thing when I visited friends in Hilton Head. The local tennis folks I played with "took me in" and immediately started spewing the (confederate) party line.

Anyway - the real point to the above - and the answer...is that Sarasota is a VERY diverse place. I mean - heck, we have Amish! We have a massive Jewish (liberal, arts, etc.) population. We have midwesterners - th nicest people on earth when it comes to the opposite of "me me me". And, yes, we have blue collar hard working trades people, the usual over-abundance of "Kings and Queens of Real Estate" and plenty of criminals, meth freaks, homeless, etc.

We have the stuck up crowd - driving around in the $100K BMW's and then trying to walk in heels 8" high. I don't picture them being from CA, but who knows?
Anything else you wanna know?
Yea I am just in a trial process to see if I will stay here longer than one year or not. Depends what happens but I know I have little interest for the whole coal rolling bs or even seeing the circus people. I saw enough of that in Gibsonton.. got more of a mouthful moving into an ex clowns house also but long story kind of.. He was a nudist though. I find people overall aren't easily ready to include others in their activities though. Its like pulling teeth to meet people and if I post ads on craigslist, I get these wackobird types or closet gays who want to be "friends" but I think they want to work on me over time is what I think to possibly like them in that way and I'm just not interested at all.

I am a New Englander.. I just think I fit in very little with the Midwesterners and Floridians here.. that's what I think. And the northeasterners here I feel are dwindling.. not coming down in droves as much. I think the Midwesterners can adapt to FL easier as in live here for 20 years or more. A lot of us seem to go home sooner it seems or a lot left after the housing crisis. I knew a NY'er briefly who hinted he liked Los Angeles better than here and he felt stuck in LWR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 04:52 PM

128 posts, read 166,981 times
I have noticed an increase of Californians moving to Sarasota. Most definately.

Today I noticed a huge surge in traffic. It is worse then I have ever seen traffic in Sarasota.

Re: "coal rollers". Thats the first hearing that term. That is the quintessential Floridian attitude. Its cowardice and sad. Why arent those people arrested? Why would those trucks be street legal? They are made for being hostile and for being road ragers. Those trucks are my biggest complaint in all of Sarasota.

Here is a photo for you to enjoy, of more Retirees:

Last edited by yalaspa; 11-22-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalaspa View Post

Today I noticed a huge surge in traffic. It is worse then I have ever seen traffic in Sarasota.

Re: "coal rollers". Thats the first hearing that term. That is the quintessential Floridian attitude. Its cowardice and sad. Why arent those people arrested? Why would those trucks be street legal? They are made for being hostile and for being road ragers. Those trucks are my biggest complaint in all of Sarasota.

Here is a photo for you to enjoy, of more Retirees:
So you actually have noticed Californians coming to Sarasota? They only add to the madness but ya it explains why its even worse around here than it used to be though. This has to be within the last 5 years they started coming to Sarasota. I thought more in St Pete myself though prior.

And I agree, coal rollers are braindead individuals. For all I know they might have been the ones squeaking their wheels when I heard it down the street from here.. I mean stopped in the neighborhood probably on their property. This place has a lot of nuts though. While some people try to talk positively about it, the negative has to be focused on in order to think about improving things.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:39 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
And I agree, coal rollers are brain dead individuals. For all I know they might have been the ones squeaking their wheels when I heard it down the street from here.. I mean stopped in the neighborhood probably on their property. This place has a lot of nuts though. While some people try to talk positively about it, the negative has to be focused on in order to think about improving things.
Coal rollers reflect 100% the attitude of the....should I say.....candidate who won Sarasota by a landslide. Fly around in a personal jet and helicopter. Cruise in a 130 foot boat. Poop in a gold plated toilet.

Is spewing out some smoke "because you can afford it and and pollution and global warming are a hoax" any different than that? Remember, dirty coal is now coming back. We'll all soon be breathing plenty more black smoke.

If those same dudes with the trucks could afford pollution spewing planes and yachts or factories they'd use them instead. But they can't. So they stick it to "us folks who care about the environment" in the best way they can.

So if improving things is spewing more pollution (as our new leaders claims), then these guys are Messiahs. They will soon be presented with the Presidential Medals of Freedom...

Can't have it both ways.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalaspa View Post

If you want to clean up the area, start by arresting the dudes who have the motorcycles modified so that we hear them for a mile or more around. Can you imagine being such a sad human being that your thrill in life consists of making sure you make as much noise as possible...and the heck with what anyone else thinks? Why don't they just stay home (or drive a quite bike) and put on headphones to blow their own ears out?

I'll tell you why. They are little children in their minds. They have not grown up and found ways to attract attention in positive ways so they get a tiny pulse of pleasure knowing people are sitting in their years 1/2 mile away hearing them...

Old 11-24-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
If you want to clean up the area, start by arresting the dudes who have the motorcycles modified so that we hear them for a mile or more around. Can you imagine being such a sad human being that your thrill in life consists of making sure you make as much noise as possible...and the heck with what anyone else thinks? Why don't they just stay home (or drive a quite bike) and put on headphones to blow their own ears out?

I'll tell you why. They are little children in their minds. They have not grown up and found ways to attract attention in positive ways so they get a tiny pulse of pleasure knowing people are sitting in their years 1/2 mile away hearing them...
I have a saying for people like this and I adopted it from my great uncle. Small things for small minds.

Relates exactly to this. I hate d-bags who think its perfectly ok to make all that noise.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Coal rollers reflect 100% the attitude of the....should I say.....candidate who won Sarasota by a landslide. Fly around in a personal jet and helicopter. Cruise in a 130 foot boat. Poop in a gold plated toilet.

Is spewing out some smoke "because you can afford it and and pollution and global warming are a hoax" any different than that? Remember, dirty coal is now coming back. We'll all soon be breathing plenty more black smoke.

If those same dudes with the trucks could afford pollution spewing planes and yachts or factories they'd use them instead. But they can't. So they stick it to "us folks who care about the environment" in the best way they can.

So if improving things is spewing more pollution (as our new leaders claims), then these guys are Messiahs. They will soon be presented with the Presidential Medals of Freedom...

Can't have it both ways.

You could say that's another way of looking at it. I guess its why I had 2nd thoughts voting for Trump. I was going to consider it though. Trump does have a big private jet though and usually just him on it and a few other people. So ya, all these people are, are lower grade versions of Trump pretty much. A good point you made. Lets hope we're not breathing in more black smoke.. but you know I have some sort of weird feeling that Trump wont be president for very long. He may not even last a term and people are going in on him so hard this early on.. its a sign of things to come.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:47 AM

11 posts, read 10,280 times
People have the freedom to ride motorcycles, and they're legal.

People like driving trucks, some diesel...they're legal

Some pinheads like driving Pruis vehicles...they're legal,, AND SLOW

Some people like Sarasota, and some don't. don't like FL or SRQ? easy solution...MOVE

Don't like Trump ? fine. Get over it, stop whining. Go vote.

Don't believe in global warming ? fine, even if you do...the earth will change, you too shall die.

Hillary supporter ? fine....she's washed up....move on to the next clown...maybe old Bernie again. Go vote.

Don't like migrants or immigrants? too bad...that's the history of the US

Don't like Spanish speakers? fine....go learn Chinese or any other language.

Don't like construction on the roads ?...stay off of them, no problem.

Don't enjoy midwesterners ? fine...go live in the PNW.

Don't like black smoke ? I understand....invest in a smog mask or respirator

SRQ too noisey ? buy a set of headphones, no problem...better yet, move to the great Plaines around the wheatfields

Old 11-27-2016, 02:41 PM

128 posts, read 166,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylme Nisley View Post
People have the freedom to ride motorcycles, and they're legal.

People like driving trucks, some diesel...they're legal

Some pinheads like driving Pruis vehicles...they're legal,, AND SLOW

Some people like Sarasota, and some don't. don't like FL or SRQ? easy solution...MOVE

Don't like Trump ? fine. Get over it, stop whining. Go vote.

Don't believe in global warming ? fine, even if you do...the earth will change, you too shall die.

Hillary supporter ? fine....she's washed up....move on to the next clown...maybe old Bernie again. Go vote.

Don't like migrants or immigrants? too bad...that's the history of the US

Don't like Spanish speakers? fine....go learn Chinese or any other language.

Don't like construction on the roads ?...stay off of them, no problem.

Don't enjoy midwesterners ? fine...go live in the PNW.

Don't like black smoke ? I understand....invest in a smog mask or respirator

SRQ too noisey ? buy a set of headphones, no problem...better yet, move to the great Plaines around the wheatfields
Phylme,

Because motorized vehicles are not meant to be used as machinery for terrorizing people on the road.

The coal rollers are blantantly building and using their contraptions for scaring people. The plumes of smoke spraying about are there to assault other drivers. It is a total danger. If it leaves soot residue on another vehicle it should be considered attempted property damage. The smoke can cause accidents too. It reduces visibility. Their trucks are oversized, difficult to see around in traffic, and from what I understand they have a burning fire cooking on board their motor vehicle? Having a fire on board should be totally against the law. Additionally they often have illegally tinted windows (cowards, hiding) and are usually blaitantly tailgating people in smaller cars at stop signs, and overshadowing smaller vehicles and shining their lights onto the backs of passengers smaller vehicles. That is light intrusion and that causes distractions and puts unneccessary stress and pressure on innocent drivers. The coal rollers are completely instigating road rage incidents.

How can we even be having a discussion about whether or not coal rollers should be illegal and/or arrested?

With overly loud motor cycles: they are exceeding noise levels on purpose. It serves no purpose other then scaring people who do not want to hear it. It is a disturbance to the public. They do it on purpose. Anybody who knows how to trick out a bike like that and make it operate exceedingly loud like that all know it is louder then it would ever need to be. It is a public nuisance and public disruption. Those bikes should not be street legal. Neither should be using train horns and beeping them at people for no reason other then to be hostile and cause potential accidents.

Why would any motorcyclists even try to defend these practices?

Old 11-28-2016, 06:43 AM

11 posts, read 10,280 times
You sound upset and easily disturbed or even intimidated.

Coal rollers ? gee man, who cares? Hate to tell you, most are not illegal in Manatee, Sarasota or the state of FL

Complaining about this stuff does no good whatsoever. Go Vote. Call your local or state representative.

The trucks and bikes certainly don't "SCARE" me...are you kidding?

Horn blasts ? nope, don't "scare" me either and they shouldn't scare you either....do blasts from an EMS transport offend your little ears too ?

Is the boogeyman "hiding" behind tinted windows ? how are they "cowards" ?

If someone is breaking the law, be a good citizen and call the cops or sheriff deputies. Tell them you are offended by the "coal rollers" in front of you on sr70, University, I75, or US301......I assure you they will laugh at you. They have better LE issues to deal with.

You want to "ARREST" owners and operators of "coal rollers" ?? gee man, you're a victim of your own bs

If you're "terrorized" by another driver in a truck simply driving down a public road, you're a pretty weak, limp-wristed sista

Last edited by Phylme Nisley; 11-28-2016 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area