Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:55 AM

128 posts, read 166,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
I find people overall aren't easily ready to include others in their activities though. Its like pulling teeth to meet people
That means you do not fit in with Sarasota and probably never will. You ever notice how a certain narrow brand of working class people fit in and find their niche simply without much effort at all, and you have to put in extra effort and still have no friends? It is because you do not fit in with Sarasota and probably never will.

There is a certain brand of people who fit in with Sarasota. They love it here. But if you do not fit in with their vibe and have no friends then there is no way you will grow and be nurtured by Sarasota. You will always sort of be left out and shut down for no reason other then not fitting in with the few groups of people.

Also you say you are single and in your 30's. How is that going for you in Sarasota? Probably extremely cruddy because this is a city designed mostly for safety and kids and families and retirees. This town only welcomes a specific brand of single guys, and single women act an uptight sort of an anti-fun. They are not easy going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 02:29 PM

32 posts, read 49,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalaspa View Post
That means you do not fit in with Sarasota and probably never will. You ever notice how a certain narrow brand of working class people fit in and find their niche simply without much effort at all, and you have to put in extra effort and still have no friends? It is because you do not fit in with Sarasota and probably never will.

There is a certain brand of people who fit in with Sarasota. They love it here. But if you do not fit in with their vibe and have no friends then there is no way you will grow and be nurtured by Sarasota. You will always sort of be left out and shut down for no reason other then not fitting in with the few groups of people.

Also you say you are single and in your 30's. How is that going for you in Sarasota? Probably extremely cruddy because this is a city designed mostly for safety and kids and families and retirees. This town only welcomes a specific brand of single guys, and single women act an uptight sort of an anti-fun. They are not easy going.
Truth right here folks. I wish more people were open about it. Probably would save a lot of sorrow and grief when it doesn't work out in sota.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Sarasota is changing this fast

//www.city-data.com/forum/naple...g-classes.html

Old 11-28-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrysota View Post
Truth right here folks. I wish more people were open about it. Probably would save a lot of sorrow and grief when it doesn't work out in sota.
It is nothng new, sorrysota. It is called being Sarasota'd

Urban Dictionary: Sarasota'd

Old 11-28-2016, 09:44 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
You should really get out of Sarasota. It is quite obvious it is detrimental to your health. It is quite easy. US states have no border papers. Just leave. Problem solved. Do not let others deceive you into that is not doable. It is quite simple. People relocate all the time. If you feel stuck it is nothing more that your own will and attitude. Sorrysota=someone not willing to pony up and change their lot.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:48 AM

461 posts, read 554,111 times
Quote:

I may have to revisit going to the Pacific NW again. An opportunity may come where my mom and stepdad could move there and I may not instantly move there when they do but I for sure will in time anyhow or within 5 months of them getting settled maybe. That could be another year but needless to say yes I established I don't fit the culture of Tampa Bay period. I tried St Pete/Largo/Tampa.. it all doesn't fit. Sarasota fits more than those to me so if this doesn't, then my FL time will be ending. This is the last stop for me I determined and I have been here 2 years.. Prior, I lived in Manatee County 7 before leaving to go to Sacramento area with them.. my mom refused to live in Portland so that's where they compromised. He wasn't a fan of that though so he wants Olympia/Seattle area and I got news for you I'M TAKING IT if the chance comes. Better for people my age. Sarasota had/has a young vibrant class of people but they either all left or they're here but leaving once they're done with Ringling but dude, it really looked like Sarasota was picking up and becoming a hot place for young singles back in 2004.. or was that just my illusion? Maybe it was real but maybe all those people just disappeared.. I have no idea anymore man.

When I was in St Pete, I saw it as too uppity. The young crowds I didn't fit with there either as they had a pretentious attitude like young versions of the older people here sometimes I'd like to say living off mommy and daddys credit card. I am white working class from MA originally so I have that attitude more than the yuppie types. I relate to bathroom humor, alternative rock (like WA scene), and just general indie/alternative types. I am in the wrong year here or I was always in the wrong area.

My mom once lived in Parrish ok.. I thought my problem was that I lived far out there but I learned it wasn't really. I thought if only I lived in Sarasota that would solve all my problems or even back to Bradenton. It was hell living in Parrish.. Totally nothing there. But now I tried a lot of the population centers here to live in and I got news for you, you may be closer to more but you also run into more Aholes too and I think its worse now than it was 8 years ago even. I wont lie. I also don't like University very much either and HATE Lakewood Ranch!

Old 12-01-2016, 04:51 AM

All in all, I don't go to bars around here.. they do nothing for me really. I might stop at Shakespeares or **** N Bull once in awhile but usually you'll see me up at Tobacco Depot off Bee Ridge or Maduro on Tamiami. Probably 4 times a month I go to each of these combined. Maybe Bennington in St Armands once in awhile.. I like St Armands Circle.. I don't like Siesta Key though. St Armands is actually where I go in place of Downtown Sarasota. I don't like running into the homeless bums down there.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
You should really get out of Sarasota. It is quite obvious it is detrimental to your health. It is quite easy. US states have no border papers. Just leave. Problem solved. Do not let others deceive you into that is not doable. It is quite simple. People relocate all the time. If you feel stuck it is nothing more that your own will and attitude. Sorrysota=someone not willing to pony up and change their lot.
Very generic non helpful advice you are giving me here. I never said ALL places here were bad. I like some parts but overall I have questions about it for the long haul. I am not done seeing everything.. I will see more but I may be done within a years time.. I HAVE TO DECIDE. Depends what happens when my savings nearly runs lower and I cant live off them anymore, what happens for a job, what happens SOCIALLY. I haven't fully decided but I am leaning toward my decision as I do see some patterns and they worry me.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:03 PM

Hi SouthSota, I read your replies.

I do not know anything about Olympia or Seattle, but it sure is far away. A girl that I work with lived in Seattle and told me it can be the most awful place for meeting new people. It is called The Seattle Freeze and there are lengthy discussions about the freeze here at City Data.

I have heard that Washington State can be a little depressing. After all, grunge music, is depressing.

St. Pete, Tampa, and Sarasota, are all similar with how working class people are exclusionary and clique, uppity, or whatever. If you really want to fit in here you have to change. People in Sarasota are not "grunge" at all. Literally you need to shop at The Gap and play golf.

You are probably right, Sarasota is a better spot in Florida for you to be, but what is the use without any friends? None really. And the dating scene is a tough one in Sarasota for some people (not everybody but some).

About the bar scene in Sarasota. This city does not need any more bars. It needs places working class people can go at night without spending money and without having to drink booze or drink coffee. Meeting people should be fun and not cost money. Lastly this city is not so cool about single men drinking on their own in public. It is just not a cool town like that and to bar staff you probably look like a loser (nobody) without realizing it.

People in Sarasota go out with people they already know and they mostly stick to themselves.

Honestly the only bars you should be in are smokey Florida dive bars. I am not even kidding you. They are way better then the places you suggested. Real deal Florida dives have some of the best bartenders. The places you mentioned like Siesta Key and Saint Armands and downtown, they have weak bartenders that were hired through the same friends networks that will not give you a chance socially.

One of the best things about Real Florida are our dive bars. Just think about it. These bartenders are not entry level.

About vacoders response: it is generic and unhelpful. How can any working class person up and move when they do not make enough money to save money in the first place? That is our/my dilemma.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Hi SouthSota, I read your replies.

I do not know anything about Olympia or Seattle, but it sure is far away. A girl that I work with lived in Seattle and told me it can be the most awful place for meeting new people. It is called The Seattle Freeze and there are lengthy discussions about the freeze here at City Data.

I have heard that Washington State can be a little depressing. After all, grunge music, is depressing.

St. Pete, Tampa, and Sarasota, are all similar with how working class people are exclusionary and clique, uppity, or whatever. If you really want to fit in here you have to change. People in Sarasota are not "grunge" at all. Literally you need to shop at The Gap and play golf.

You are probably right, Sarasota is a better spot in Florida for you to be, but what is the use without any friends? None really. And the dating scene is a tough one in Sarasota for some people (not everybody but some).

About the bar scene in Sarasota. This city does not need any more bars. It needs places working class people can go at night without spending money and without having to drink booze or drink coffee. Meeting people should be fun and not cost money. Lastly this city is not so cool about single men drinking on their own in public. It is just not a cool town like that and to bar staff you probably look like a loser (nobody) without realizing it.

People in Sarasota go out with people they already know and they mostly stick to themselves.

Honestly the only bars you should be in are smokey Florida dive bars. I am not even kidding you. They are way better then the places you suggested. Real deal Florida dives have some of the best bartenders. The places you mentioned like Siesta Key and Saint Armands and downtown, they have weak bartenders that were hired through the same friends networks that will not give you a chance socially.

One of the best things about Real Florida are our dive bars. Just think about it. These bartenders are not entry level.

About vacoders response: it is generic and unhelpful. How can any working class person up and move when they do not make enough money to save money in the first place? That is our/my dilemma.
Right I've heard about the Seattle Freeze. I would look at the outer areas though as I don't want the big city necessarily. And Tampa Bay could very well have a freeze now too you know. I think it worked its way here and more of it is coming, not less. Seattle area at least reached its peak and no more people are coming in droves than already. I figure hey, FL is expensive to live and you got lesser schools, not a good job economy so why not go for the gusto? Even if it isn't perfect or theres less sunny days. Its still around WATER.. I like that. I would get help to move if it happens and my mom and stepdad could help financially with it too to get me closer to them. Get my truck shipped and so forth.

I didn't think my stepdad down here would pass away so soon though, my 1st stepdad passed away in Parrish where he lived. I moved down here partially to take care of him and then reexplore places I didn't experience living in and I'd go and live in them.. but along the way I found my stepdad was actually quite stubborn and often left me out as he has pride and didn't wanna tell anyone he was doing bad but more initially I saw him more so things certainly have changed there for sure. I am not making the headway in FL that I thought I would though. And again, you get sucked into thinking FL is good socially because theres lots of transplants but NO.. the cliquey ones move here only or its been that way more in the last 8 years anyhow.. I don't think it was once this way though as badly. I think FL is becoming like SoCal to tell you the truth now or like a NY with palm trees and some CA influence both.. 2 evils right there.

I don't go to dive bars really but I don't even go to Cck N Bull or Shakespeares much either though too.. There have been nights I gone into those places, mainly **** n bull where its just crowded with cliquey folks. I like cigar bars most if anything. That's the compromise I find and I do smoke them so when I am in places like that, that's the best fit for me seeing I am "grunge" lol.

I would say I am into some grunge but not as much as you think.. I like alternative rock, indie, punk.. pretty much non conformist overall or I for sure used to be more heavily into this stuff.. I like Brian Setzer and stuff like that. Guitar Slinger. I don't find people in many open subcultures though.. its pretty much just transplants who come from where they come from and don't bother with anyone else really. Makes it harder when what should be common folks segregate themselves hard from eachother let alone racially, people of the same race as you do it most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area