U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:14 AM

4,590 posts, read 3,852,207 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season.

Sarasota vs. Bradenton: An Outsiders Perspective - Raymmar.com

I found this article interesting, and some things that were mentioned in this article, I have heard, and noticed when the two cities are discussed, and among locals. How does everyone around here feel about this? Bradenton is hardly an inexpensive place to live IMO, so I don't really understand the way it's portrayed and feels. However, there does seem to be a bit of an obsession with Sarasota among some Bradenton-ites (for both good and bad reasons).

One of the things I have noticed that is somewhat unique IMO, is that it seems like Bradenton, despite being only a half hour from St. Petersburg (only 2 minutes closer to Sarasota, or perhaps further, due to not taking a freeway) and 45 minutes from Tampa, tends to associate itself much more with Sarasota than it does with Bradenton. I don't know if the natural boundary of the Bay contributes significantly to this? Perhaps it is because of an older avg. population, but even across age groups, it seems like people from Bradenton hardly, if ever, travel to Saint Petersburg or Tampa to partake in sports, museums, restaurants, etc. I know that perhaps part of this is that Bradenton-Sarasota (if considered one MSA) is not a small economic force in it's own right (5th largest MSA GDP in the state, after Jacksonville). Still though, in similar instances/distances, say Akron with Cleveland, Fort Worth with Dallas, etc., there seems to be much more of a relationship/people going to and fro. Just some random thoughts and curiosities, that's all. I think it would help the overall region if there was more collaboration, but perhaps there is and I'm not fully aware of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM

44 posts, read 39,653 times
Not sure if I understand your theme...but there has always been economic collaboration between SRQ-Mana....the social construct is another matter ....Sarasota has long tried to alienate Bradenton (the city) along social lines for decades. This is evidenced by most residents and officials in the City of Sarasota, and Sarasota County, referring to all of Manatee County as "Bradenton" - in a left-handed attempt to super-imposing a negative image of anything going on in the huge county of Manatee by calling it "bradenton", which was deliberate and intentional. At one point, residents and official within Sarasota County referred to Lakewood Ranch as even "Bradenton". I remember those same people referring to areas like Tara and Rosedale as "east Bradenton" ! (these areas are miles and miles east of the City of bradenton, but it didn't stop people in Sarasota County from perpetuating the intentional malignment and falsehood.

Having said that the two areas are very much tied to each other. Developers like Benderson have been instrumental in bridging the economic gap in the last 15 years.

Sarasota however has made an intentional effort to gentrify the city itself, and price the locals out of the market. Example: the city and county doesn't allow much manufacturing, or multi-family developments - Manatee welcomes it.

Manatee has more in common with Pinellas/St Pete than Sarasota. Sarasota wants to become another Naples, FL. Manatee doesn't have that kind of interest or attraction.

Keep in mind, Manatee is part of the Tampa BAY region - it back up to the larger Bay and the huge Manatee River and Port....Sarasota does not. Manatee is right next to huge Hillsborough County thus has a connection to the City of Tampa....Sarasota doesn't.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 PM

15,956 posts, read 33,679,512 times
I have been discussing this very thing lately with hubby and friends. We live in Whitfield, which is smack in between Bradenton and Sarasota. To me the two could not be more different. The things that I appreciate about Bradenton (and Manatee County) are the many funky (and nicer) waterfront places to dine and/or listen to live music, the preservation of trees and historic architecture, the many nice nature preserves and parks, and the fact that Bradenton pretty much lives up to its name "The friendly city." It is definitely WAY more friendly to small businesses. There is a pretty good downtown authority in place. The Riverwalk is awesome.

Sarasota for all it's beautiful waterfront, has almost nothing for the public to enjoy as far as restaurants and music venues, etc. It is mostly for the rich. The downtown caters to the older artsy-fartsy crowd, and always puts the "kibosh" sooner or later on fun events. They stupidly ran the beautiful "chalk festival" out of town, among other things. And most of the wonderful historic buildings are now gone. I moved here in the 80s and almost cry when I think of what has been lost in this city! I have to agree it seems they want Sarasota to be the next "Naples." Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to enjoy in Sarasota, but much of it comes at a cost.

If Bradenton were larger, it could be a St. Pete. It does share a lot in common with that city on a smaller scale. Sadly the downtown is all broken up by the one way thoroughfares so it's hard to pull it all together. While it is not necessarily a "cheap" place to live, it is far less expensive than it's "rich stuck-up brother to the south." lol

Old 12-29-2016, 04:03 PM

Interesting. Yeah, you listed a few points you preferred about Bradenton, while I think Sarasota is nice in it's own right also, I think that Bradenton's waterfront definitely beats Sarasota's, the way the Riverwalk was pulled off is phenomenal.

You believe that Bradenton is more similar/closely tied to St. Petersburg? That is interesting. I'm not necessarily saying I disagree, and it does back up to Tampa Bay unlike Sarasota, but somehow, it seems like locals rarely venture across the Skyway, and that relationships and such tend to stay Bradenton/Sarasota rather than St. Petersburg. I could be wrong on that though, or it could just be in my circle that it is that way.

As per economic collaboration, I was more talking about between Bradenton/Sarasota and the larger Tampa Bay area, as I think it could really take us places given that the Tampa Bay CSA population is approaching that of Seattle's.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:12 PM

176 posts, read 162,176 times
We are fans of Manatee County because of its location and vibe. Besides Bradenton, there is Anna Maria, Cortez, Palmetto, Ellington, Parrish, LWR & Points east. It is in a Location where running to St Pete, Tampa or Sarasota is an easy drive. Northern Manatee is growing with the new bridge under construction and the Manatee River is a very broad & Scenic river. (For Florida). I expect Manatee county will grow into a more desired destination in the next 20 years.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:17 PM

15,956 posts, read 33,679,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumble View Post
We are fans of Manatee County because of its location and vibe. Besides Bradenton, there is Anna Maria, Cortez, Palmetto, Ellington, Parrish, LWR & Points east. It is in a Location where running to St Pete, Tampa or Sarasota is an easy drive. Northern Manatee is growing with the new bridge under construction and the Manatee River is a very broad & Scenic river. (For Florida). I expect Manatee county will grow into a more desired destination in the next 20 years.
I agree with all of the above ^^.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:54 PM

I agree with that. The location is more central and it has some cool stuff in its own right.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 PM

128 posts, read 135,888 times
Downtown Bradenton is already expensive. I got a small coffee and a cuban sandwhich to go for like $16. But the riverwalk is great because its free... Other then that downtown Bradenton is expensive and gear towards drinking expensive beer and getting drunk at bars. Bummer.

There are a few outstanding Florida dive bars in Btown. 5 star rated dives with package stores. There are a few decent inexpensive hispanic food places that serve big portions. I do not know of any places like that in Sarasota. Theres plenty of gems like that in Bradenton.

Bradenton still has a Bradentuckyness that keeps me away sometimes. Sometimes the people just do not seem very educated so I decide to go into snooty-Sota instead... Overall Bradenton wins in almost every category but its slowly losing points from me due to growing population.

Yeah the Manatee River is sturdy. Its sad to know its all going to be developed over.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:04 PM

20,975 posts, read 6,370,994 times
Given the current and future traffic situation, I expect more and more people will attempt to stay closer to home - thereby eliminating some of the possibilities of cooperation. After all, if it takes a hour crawling in traffic past a bunch of mangled cars to get from one to the other, the closeness is somewhat lost.

Maybe it's me but I see the future (and actually, most of my present) where everything I need is within 10-12 minutes of me by car. Sure, we go to the airport in Tampa (that's a nightmare a lot of time also)...but would never thing, due to traffic and distances, of just shopping or visiting Tampa...and/or even St. Pete. I mean - we've been to both places a number of times - and it's not like they are so different.

Up north going from Sarasota to St Peter would be like going to Hartford CT from where we live (north of Springfield, MA). Very few people do that when most everything is within 15 minutes from where we are.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM

44 posts, read 39,653 times
For heaven's sake !!! it's ELLENTON , not "ELLING-TON" !!!!!!!!! I hate this mispronouncing !!!

Come one, it's shows a brand of ignorance that Manatee County doesn't NEED more of....it's an EASY name

it's "ELLEN"-ton....the town of "ELLEN" !!! like the female NAME for godssake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area