Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 AM

733 posts, read 759,278 times

Advertisements

For those interested in Venice, here's a nice article on the current and future plans for the city. It details a variety of residential builders and developments, with some notes on commercial, restaurant, hotel and hospital development.

Venice on the verge || Business Observer

Some interesting notes:
  • "Venice Mayor John Holic says about 5,000 new homes will be coming in the next 10 to 20 years within the boundaries of the city. Most of those will be in the North Venice area where there’s still the most open land."
  • "Who’s buying all of these homes? At Neal, 80% of customers come from outside of Sarasota and Manatee counties, and about half of all its sales are cash purchases... The Midwest has become a big source of buyers."
  • "...such low inventory when it comes to resales of existing homes, new homes are where many purchasers gravitate."
  • “Every 4,000 homes brings a new Publix. And every new home represents about 16 jobs for a year.”
  • "The city’s median age has been inching downward during the past several years, but it’s still in the mid-60s — not exactly appealing for a restaurant or retailer that targets a younger crowd."
  • new Wawa, Culver's, and Burger King coming near Jacaranda Boulevard and East Venice Avenue, with "more national chain restaurants coming to the area."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,543 times
Very interesting. With all the planned growth, I wonder how it will eventually affect resales in the current older communities. Granted no one knows but hopefully they will at least hold their current values.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:09 PM

174 posts, read 231,602 times
I don't understand the comment about there being a shortage of resales. I did a search on zillow for Venice homes for sale between $250k and 500k, and there seems like a pretty substantial inventory of resales available right now. Actually, very substantial, with many on market for a long period of time.

What am I missing?

Old 01-12-2017, 06:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGittes65 View Post
I don't understand the comment about there being a shortage of resales. I did a search on zillow for Venice homes for sale between $250k and 500k, and there seems like a pretty substantial inventory of resales available right now. Actually, very substantial, with many on market for a long period of time.

What am I missing?

Most likely you are seeing 'buyer resistance' and opportunistic sellers. Substantial inventory of resales should bring prices down.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:

What am I missing?
Some of that article is specific to things going on within the city limits of Venice. This leaves out a large number of properties that have Venice addresses but they are outside of the official city limits (thus under official jurisdiction of Sarasota county). The article did mention some activity that is going on outside the city limits but they qualified it specifically by saying it was outside city limits.

Even when the article mentions demographics(age), they are specific to ages of people that live within city limits. I would guess that the larger majority of people that have a Venice mailing address actually live outside the boundaries of the city.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Some of that article is specific to things going on within the city limits of Venice. This leaves out a large number of properties that have Venice addresses but they are outside of the official city limits (thus under official jurisdiction of Sarasota county). The article did mention some activity that is going on outside the city limits but they qualified it specifically by saying it was outside city limits.

Even when the article mentions demographics(age), they are specific to ages of people that live within city limits. I would guess that the larger majority of people that have a Venice mailing address actually live outside the boundaries of the city.
Partly... Guess it depends on whether you are referring to only addresses in Venice, or if you are including North Venice. The article definitely includes the North Venice area, which doesn't have a Venice address but was annexed and is under the jurisdiction of Venice. That distinction is not totally clear to me.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:08 AM

I think a lot of articles like this one are driven by the big developers. They cherry pick the stats to support their plans and requests for more building approvals. All I know is, when you enter "Venice FL" and hit search within the above price range, there are A LOT of homes for resale on the market in the area. Lots....and that's not even counting townhomes and condos which my searches exclude.

Maybe the big developers ought to start side companies that do tasteful rehabs (i.e. Fixer Upper style) to '70s-80s houses, which may be even better located than these new developments??.....just a thought.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I think a lot of articles like this one are driven by the big developers. They cherry pick the stats to support their plans and requests for more building approvals. All I know is, when you enter "Venice FL" and hit search within the above price range, there are A LOT of homes for resale on the market in the area. Lots....and that's not even counting townhomes and condos which my searches exclude.

Maybe the big developers ought to start side companies that do tasteful rehabs (i.e. Fixer Upper style) to '70s-80s houses, which may be even better located than these new developments??.....just a thought.
I think given how many home buyers are probably retirees, it's unlikely they want a 70s-80s fixer-upper, unfortunately.

Let's look at how quickly "A LOT of homes" can get narrowed to not enough choices. For example, in our recent search we were looking for a 2+ BR house between 1600-2100 sq ft. A Trulia search returns 321 results. But we'd actually like a little newer - changing it to the homes built in the last 20 years returns 142 results, last 15 years drops the choices to 118. Now, we'd like to have a little water view, which will rule out many more. Also the cost of many existing homes is the same as new construction, so given that, many buyers will choose to build their own home with an interior they choose on a lot they choose, rather than an existing home. Additionally, many other buyers now would like to have community amenities/activities, which many older neighborhoods don't include.

Given all these factors, and how many people continue to move to SWFL, these new construction communities will definitely continue to find buyers.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,439,200 times
Look at all the new construction in West Villages. Partly in North Port, part unincorporated, but with a Venice ZIP code. Looking at the existing housing adjacent to the area, housing prices are strong.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 AM

I agree with the above comments that people like new houses, and new amenities, and modern floorplans, and thus often gravitate toward these new communities even though they are farther out. (Of course in 10 years, these communities will be older and the cycle will continue, but even farther out, away from the coast.)

But I just don't accept the comment in the article that more development is needed due to a shortage of suburban resale inventory in Venice. If you want an 1800-2500 square foot one story resale within 15 minutes from downtown Venice (island), it looks like there are plenty of choices sitting on the market.

I have family that live in zip 92011 in California. Now that's got limited resale inventory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area