Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 5,195 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. My husband and I are trying to decide the best place for us in or near Venice. We are not fond of 'old Florida' style homes. They feel a little closed in for us. We also have been surprised at the lack of yard. We'd like a little privacy, especially in our backyard. And a little room for our dog.

What I'd like is at least 12,000 square foot lot. I am not opposed to HOA restrictions, but I will need a fence to keep the dog contained.

I don't want to live on a golf course (I'd never be able to keep my dog off of it!).

Our search led us to Englewood and eventually to the Rotunda. Going in, I was not a fan. It felt too planned and too large. However, we did meet a builder who recommended buying two lots in Rotunda Heights. It would give us about .4 acres, we could do a fence and be around nicer, newer homes.

It sounds good and I do like the location. But I am concerned about the amount of lots that are for sale. Literally hundreds of lots. I am concerned that they don't sell -- and in 10 years my home won't hold value. AND I'm concerned that they do sell and the area will become the exact thing I don't want -- over crowded with cookie cutter homes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or on the Rotunda in general? Are there any alternatives I should consider given what I'm looking for? We are open to an existing home or building. We are not in a huge hurry to relocate, but want to be in Florida in the next 12-18 months.

We are also looking for property off of Manasota Beach road. Not sure we can swing the cost, but honestly this area would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM

704 posts, read 771,563 times
We live in South Venice and our lots total 3/4 of an acre. We are not far from Manasota Beach Rd. Have you wandered around in this area? If you are not adverse to building I think you should be able to find lots for sale that are larger. I'm not sure you can find a "newer" home in this area though.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
That area seems to be filling in nicely so I wouldn't worry too much about "too many lots". I don't think one can count on property values going up...like in the past. A home is to live in.

Make sure the property you choose is checked out carefully - by various sources - to be a certain distance above sea level. Check out all the flood maps and drainage in the area after MANY heavy rains.

Years ago a Hurricane came right up the bay there - big time. Between Global Warming and Storms I wouldn't want my property to be less than 12+ feet above sea level. Same goes with ways in and out of where you live.

Also, you are probably aware that the lifestyle in that area means a lot of driving...that is, many places you may want to go are a good distance. But everyone is different in that regards.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:35 PM

Good information. We stayed on Lemon Bay Drive; loved the ferry over to the beach and how close everything was (Publix, restaurants, even the dog beach). South Venice would be our first choice for lots of reasons.

I've looked, but haven't found any large lots or double lots in that area. Is there somewhere specific I could look to see what's available?

Old 01-23-2017, 05:41 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
I've never been to the Rotunda area, but I'm just going to tell you what my realtor told me when I asked her about houses there in 2012/2013 when we were looking. She said she lived there when they first came down to FL and lived there for 10 years. She said after 10 years her property hadn't appreciated. She moved to Venice.

There is some spot building around Manasota Beach Rd. I would stick to Venice or Englewood.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:06 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
We live in one of the outer Rotonda subs and are also about to build 2 new homes in the Heights.

there are some factors you should have been told about

Most lots are in a flood zone and MAY need a stem wall, this can add costs dramatically.
ALL lots require a mini sewer -cost $5400
here is the big one - power , if you cant see a pole BEWARE, running power can cost thousands.
Clearing, if the lot is heavily tree'd (!) it can cost extra to clear.

we offer a free lot appraisal service where we check all of the above for our clients, including a visual check for any 'unknowns' in my humble opinion any reputable builder should do the same

all the subs are great areas for dogs, we have 3 (plus a foster) and they love their walks.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:40 AM

Good information. What is a stem wall? As you can see ... I am gathering knowledge.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
sent you a PM

Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 AM

21 posts, read 27,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Between Global Warming and Storms I wouldn't want my property to be less than 12+ feet above sea level.
Watch not to buy in a flood zone I would agree with .
Attached Thumbnails
Rotunda Heights-img_0146.jpg  

Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quick look on FEMA seems to show entire area is flood zone - elevations 10-12 feet. There may be a few lots and areas which are a foot or two higher. The higher the better!

I think the "stem wall" may simply mean a little wall to keep the ground around the house or lot a bit higher....I assume a little bit of fill can be used?

One big problem IMHO about Florida building is that everyone seems to do these slabs on grade due to the very low cost. If I were building from scratch on a low lying lot I'd pay more and get something raised up a bit. Of course, no one wants to pay more...but I think such an investment would add to the value of the home now and later. It may even drop the insurance rates.

If the "1%" flood happens (and that is a great possibility) a flooded lot is not that big of a problem. A flooded house is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area