Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,242 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to florida. On a recent visit, i fell in love with the gulf coast. Trying to find a community, with a pool, recreation activities, workout facility, if possible sauna and steam room and of course a whirlpool by the pool. Looking to spend between 250,000 to 300,000. Want taxes under $3000 and hoa under 300, does anyone know of a community like this. In addition, i would like advice, as i have heard bradenton has gang activity and northport might not have anything to do and has high taxes.
would love to get input on this, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 06:34 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,168,733 times
Your price and requirements are about 5 years too late. You'll have to up your price range for all of those amenities, or lower your amenity expectation for those prices, taxes, and HOA fee.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:46 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,675,430 times
We just moved into North Port 6 months ago and absolutely love it! Taxes for us are reasonable, but cannot say for everyone. We are not in a community - no HOA but very happy with the area. Homes are well maintained and the neighbors are great - again for us cannot speak for everywhere but I'm very content with where we choose.

For not having anything to do.. this is dependant on your experiences and situation because we think there's plunty to do. We came from a small town that didn't have a target anywhere nearby. Never had a hobby lobby or michaels or Marshall's. So for me, shopping is good and we love shopping at Aldis and the marketplace Walmart. North port has had several community events we have gone to and enjoyed. The area is friendly and no where as busy as Sarasota areas. Its a quick drive to the ocean (25min for us) and port Charlotte, Venice, englewood areas. I know we really love Venice to and it would of been our 2nd choice. I haven't heard much positive things about Bradenton and from the visits I personally wouldn't choose it but it would put you closer to other ammenities. If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Old 01-27-2017, 05:06 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,470,632 times
North Port homes are usually not in a planned community. Have not heard that their taxes are high. North Port is a much cheaper area than Venice. The population is younger in North Port and they have more big box stores than Venice - Venice has nothing but Mom and Pop - I have to go to either North Port or Sarasota to find many stores, etc.

You can get a home for 300k in a planned community but with the amenities you want you are going to pay a much higher HOA and don't forget CCD fees. And don't forget insurance - here you have not only home insurance but wind insurance and flood insurance if needed. I pay more in insurance that I do for my mortgage.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,602,807 times
We know people who bought in planned community in North Port, at the top of the RE binge, and will likely never get what they paid for their house out of it...

You need to run a search on this forum for all the cities you mentioned--
There are plenty of threads in past 2 yrs that give an overview

The market has gotten much better--more competition and prices are up
There are many RE professionals on this site with good insight and experience
Read some of their posts and see if you feel an affinity
Make contact via private message
I am sure they can offer you specifics about your likely targets...

Old 01-30-2017, 01:55 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,506,767 times
There are still a few communities with homes in your price range. Try Lakeside Plantation, Kings Gate 55+, River Club, Riverwood, Bobcat Trail, Villas at Charleston Park. They all have a community pool and fitness.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:29 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,364,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Your price and requirements are about 5 years too late. You'll have to up your price range for all of those amenities, or lower your amenity expectation for those prices, taxes, and HOA fee.
They can get a condo for well below that price and taxes; condo fees might be higher and may have some but not all of the amenities listed. Most communities have pool, clubhouse, activities, shuffleboard or tennis, etc.

To the OP: Bradenton is a very big place. There are some areas that are run-down and seedy, mostly those close to Route 41, but going out to West and Northwest Bradenton you can find some lovely communities. Most are on the older side but some have been updated to modern tastes. There are newer communities "out east" around I-75 but of course, you'll pay accordingly.

I do not feel "unsafe" in Bradenton but I am ALWAYS on my guard at places like gas stations and shopping centers. There are a lot of homeless in Florida in general.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM

137 posts, read 192,394 times
Venice does not have only Mom and Pop stores. There is Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Stein Mart, Staples, Bealls etc.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,470,632 times
You are right - Venice has some big box stores but does not have Best Buy, Books A Million, Shoe Carnival, Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, Kohls, Ross, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Bath and Body Works, Hobby Lobby, T.J. Maxx, Michaels, and many other stores I have to go to Sarasota or North Port -

Also there is no major department store in Venice -maybe Bealls but that is just a small regional store - I have to go to Sarasota for a Saks, Macys, Dillards, Sears, Penneys, etc.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:01 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,414,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
You are right - Venice has some big box stores but does not have Best Buy, Books A Million, Shoe Carnival, Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, Kohls, Ross, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Bath and Body Works, Hobby Lobby, T.J. Maxx, Michaels, and many other stores I have to go to Sarasota or North Port -

Also there is no major department store in Venice -maybe Bealls but that is just a small regional store - I have to go to Sarasota for a Saks, Macys, Dillards, Sears, Penneys, etc.
Hadn't thought of that but you are right, although BAM does have a store in Venice. I still haven't figured out Bealls yet, whether I'll like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area