U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM

30 posts, read 94,321 times

Advertisements

HI there-

We are a family of five (kids ages 5, 3, and 1) who are in the process of very consciously deciding where to live, after having spent our entire lives in and around the Chicago area.

We are looking for a community that has natural beauty, good weather, beaches, is progressive, liberal, has a vibrant arts scene, easy access to health food and healthful living and a Waldorf school.

These criteria have lead us to Sarasota. My husband's business has a branch in town and as a violinist, I can play/work anywhere, so career-wise, there are no issues. We are looking for an area that we would fit into and that is conducive to a slower,easier pace of life in which to raise our family.

Also, one of our sons has bad allergies (molds, seasonal, indoor, outdoor, etc) and we're wondering what allergies are like in this area? We can handle it if it's the same as Chicago, would prefer better, but definitely do not want worse!

If you have any opinions or experience with any of the aspects of community life that we listed and you have a spare moment, we'd love to hear from you and would be grateful for any insight you may provide.

Thanks in advance, Lynn & Mike
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 03:47 PM

849 posts, read 3,333,654 times
Unhappy Those

allergies are , unfortunately the most common ones everywhere. I have them but have always felt better near the salt water. There is something about the ionization of the air and the salt. Israel has built salt rooms for severe asthma suffers and spending some time in them really helps. Does your son use Singulair? I don't like taking meds but that stuff is great and has kept me asthma free for years, that and Advair. I only got asthma late in life but it is allergically induced. These things really help and I haven't had negative effects so it's worth asking your sons' doc. They do not cause drowsiness.
Sarasota sounds like a good place for you for the reasons you mention. Only a doctor can really assess how your son will do because everyone reacts differently. You can try to make your home more "green."
For that reason you may want to try to buy although usually renting for a bit is a good idea.
I noticed HGTV is doing a "green" house and has lots of info on the web site. Whatever you do avoid carpeting. It is a dust and mold magnet, has chemical treatments in it that take years to "out gas" and who needs them? It's not cold enough in the winter to really miss them in the bedrooms.
There are "green" finishes now for floors and I'd suggest wood because tile, while very pretty, is major upkeep. The grout can hold all that stuff that's so bad.
One more interesting thing about allergies I just discovered. I've always had pets with no ill effects. I became a little allergic to the present kitties and couldn't understand it. We just happened to switch their food and the allergies stopped
Best to you and try Sarasota. As a musician I think you'll like it and maybe just maybe, the kid will actually be better near the Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioLynn33 View Post
HI there-

We are a family of five (kids ages 5, 3, and 1) who are in the process of very consciously deciding where to live, after having spent our entire lives in and around the Chicago area.

We are looking for a community that has natural beauty, good weather, beaches, is progressive, liberal, has a vibrant arts scene, easy access to health food and healthful living and a Waldorf school.

These criteria have lead us to Sarasota. My husband's business has a branch in town and as a violinist, I can play/work anywhere, so career-wise, there are no issues. We are looking for an area that we would fit into and that is conducive to a slower,easier pace of life in which to raise our family.

Also, one of our sons has bad allergies (molds, seasonal, indoor, outdoor, etc) and we're wondering what allergies are like in this area? We can handle it if it's the same as Chicago, would prefer better, but definitely do not want worse!

If you have any opinions or experience with any of the aspects of community life that we listed and you have a spare moment, we'd love to hear from you and would be grateful for any insight you may provide.

Thanks in advance, Lynn & Mike

Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM

16,224 posts, read 34,767,837 times
Sarasota is probably a great town for you for most everything, but maybe not good on the allergies. As the poster above mentioned, everyone reacts differently. I lived there for 17 years, I have allergies, but never so bad as when I lived in Sarasota. First, red tide happens often, and makes me violently ill. There are also a lot of noxious invasive tropical vegetation which grows there (melaleuca or "punk" trees, Brazilian pepper, carrotwood tree to name a few) and I can't tell you how sick these make me. As soon as I moved further north my allergies became much less, except during spring pollen season (like right now). I met a woman in the area when I first moved there who was deathly ill from the vegetation and was a prisoner in her home (doctors orders) and was selling her house due to the problem. Please also keep in mind that this is Florida, a state with a huge problem with mold, and coastal towns are the worst due to the high humidity - you will want to check any home out thoroughly before you move into it.

All that said, I would check it out for yourself, see if you can rent or spend time in the area first to see for yourself how it goes, might be no problem at all for your family.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 AM

4,844 posts, read 13,233,910 times
I'll second the above....I've always lived "at the beach" and had no allergy issues due to less vegetation around...however, since moving downtown to Sarasota, I've experienced more sneezing due to all the beautiful flora/fauna all around town....however, when it rained last week, we were all sneezing on Longboat as well....sometimes it's just a mixture of rain & humidity that does it...however, I've never been allergic to anything flowery...maybe it's just the pollen/age thing?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 AM

8,190 posts, read 29,704,243 times
I have mold allergies. I find that in the late summer is when I really start to have trouble. Rain and high heat during Aug-Oct are the worst for me.

The closer I am to the beach the easier it is for me. I am not sensitive to red tide, so that has never been an issue for me.

Right now the pines (and everything that looks like a pine) are pollinating. If I sleep with the windows open I have a touch of congestion first thing in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area