Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
I spent about a month in St Pete, and I stayed on Treasure Island in a condo on the beach. I actually looked around at possible rentals, but became somewhat discouraged at what was available. My impressions are only based on about a month's visit, so they are limited, but I found that "safe" neighborhoods were generally the old NE section of the city, along Tampa Bay on the eastern edge of the city, or the west side (Treasure Island, St Pete beach, etc).

The middle of St Pete is being gentrified, but didn't feel all that safe for a single retiree, and seemed run down. What I looked at in the old NE area was really overpriced and not modern (condos for rent in small complexes, and apartments in rehabbed houses). Way up north in the city (Gandy Blvd, no man's land in my view) there were some nice, modern apartment complexes, but they were too far away from the center city for me, and I would feel isolated as a retiree. Tons of nice high rise condos along the eastern edge of the city on the water (Tampa Bay), but very expensive.

I didn't look at apartments or rental condos in S Pasadena, but driving around there looked fine as far as safety, though the rents listed online were high. I also looked in Gulfport, but to get in or out of Gulfport, it was a bit of a drive north through questionable areas in south St Pete to get to downtown, for example, or to larger stores for shopping. I found Gulfport too small for me, though I did look at 2 different complexes there, mostly ok, but overpriced for their condition.

I also looked at rentals in St Pete Beach and Sunset Beach, but decided I didn't want to live that close to the beach with the seasonal crowds, much higher rents and potential for tropical storm damage. I stopped into one Senior Community Center near St Pete Beach and Treasure Island, and it was depressing, quite honestly. A few old ladies playing electronic bingo on a large screen in a large empty room on a beautiful sunny day. Definitely not for me. (I'm retired, but would be bored with indoor bingo.) But I'm sure there are other activities for retirees in that area that are more interesting, at least from my perspective. But, it's good that there are a wide range of activities available.

There seemed to be a lot of smokers around. It might be something more prevalent in Florida than in other states, or maybe just more obvious since people are outside, or maybe a characteristic of the older crowd who moves south to retire. I don't know the reason, but a lot of people smoked.

I liked Treasure Island for a beach vacation, however. It was not crowded on the beach itself, it was clean and beautiful, not filled with huge high rises, and definitely felt safe walking around at night.

I was there in late May/early June, and when it rained (thunderstorms nearly every day in the afternoon), the streets flooded at most of the intersections to the point that I had to pull over and wait. Otherwise I would have been driving through deep water. Apparently this is normal when it rains, according to the locals.

There were a lot of motorcycles on the western side of the city, close to the beaches, and they are loud. I'm not sure I'd want to live with that noise on a regular basis, if I was in a rental near a main road or street near a beach where the motorcycles were prevalent at all hours of the night.

I liked the downtown area (Vinoy) and the museums on the eastern edge of the city a lot, and visited all of them. There are cute shops and restaurants along Central and 1st Ave N, near the water, and those were interesting, but it's not a large area. Walking in that immediate area felt safe, but a few blocks north or west or south of downtown was a different story. More transients and vagrants around. The university is south of downtown.

I drove back and forth between the eastern side and western side of town on Central Ave. It was a reasonable way to get across the city. The middle of St Pete doesn't look that safe, quite honestly, though I did look at one newer apartment complex near downtown in a gentrified area, but it was too close to noisy bars and a sports complex, and parking would have been a challenge, even with off street parking in a covered garage. Plus the residents were mostly young folks, and I'd rather have a mix of ages wherever I live.

It takes a while to get oriented in St Pete, but it's a grid system of streets and once you learn the numbers for streets and avenues, it's not that bad. Overall, city traffic didn't seem that congested, but I stayed off of the big interstates and highways, and only drove around using city streets so I could see the city and get a feel for various neighborhoods.

People I met were very friendly and helpful, and I can't think of a negative encounter. I met a lot of people who had relocated from northern states and the midwest, so it was a mix of backgrounds. Most of the people I met had lived in Florida or St Pete for many years.

One word of caution, the city of St Pete is prone to significant flooding during tropical storms. Tropical storm Hermine last August caused significant flooding across St Pete and Tampa. I guess all of the coastal areas of Florida have varying degrees of storm risks, but given how much flooding St Pete has even during a daily run-of-the-mill thunderstorm, I can only imagine what it's like in a tropical storm.

I think that I would visit St Pete for the museums if I lived in Sarasota or Venice, for example, but at this point in time as a retiree, I'd rather live in a smaller city. (St Pete is 250,000)
You posted a fantastic synopsis of St. Pete from your visit; and as a lifelong resident of the Tampa Bay area I 100% agree with all you said. People here know we live in Sarasota now. We do love much about St. Pete, but the cons are all that you mentioned: while downtown is beautiful and very nice, anything (real estate) near is overpriced. The middle and immediate south sides of the city are ghetto, with much of St. Pete being run down. Very little upscale shopping (for those who care). The city was originally planned as a retirement haven, and until the past 10 years ago or so was still mostly for very senior citizens. The younger set are really only found near downtown. It is also far more segregated, and racial relations can be intense, even now. Midtown is scary! Water quality there is poor; also as mentioned many areas are prone to bad flooding, even in a small storm. In the event of a hurricane, evacuation is a real problem, as Pinellas County is the most intensely developed in the state, and is a peninsula. Very difficult to get off in a hurry! When you live in Florida, this is important.

I give Sarasota the edge these days because it is a much smaller city, has an amazing array of arts and cultural activities, an unbelievable music scene, fantastic beaches that are FREE, and much more. It is a cosmopolitan city, with people from all over the country and world living here part or full time. We even have a thriving Amish village! And of course Sarasota has the circus heritage. It makes for an interesting and diverse city, especially considering its small size. Yes, there are a lot of older people here, but there are a lot of "boomers" in 50s and 60s who are fit, active, intelligent and very vibrant. There are young people as well due to New College, USF and Ringling Schools of Art and Design.

You mentioned smokers - there seem to be very few in Sarasota, as least wherever I go. Fitness is big here, so smokers are in the minority. (Bradenton, however is a another story, lol) Anyway, I don't want anyone to think I am knocking St. Pete - it is indeed one of my favorite cities in Florida. We thought at one time we wanted to move there; but after considering the cons I mentioned we decided that (for us) Sarasota was the better place to live.

Hope this helps you and anyone else considering these two amazing cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 02:11 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Yes - all I saw was Trump and anti Hillary bumper stickers - most people hated Hillary around here
Went to Northport today doing errands, taking 41, which is a very busy, heavily traveled road. I was the passenger, so I was on the lookout for bumper stickers/signs/anything left over from the election.

Anti-Trump bumper stickers: 0
Pro-Trump bumper stickers: 1

Anti-Hillary bumper stickers: 0
Pro-Hillary bumper stickers: 0

I was also in downtown Venice last night and there was a huge pro-Hillary sign hung on the second story of one building.

But that's it. I realize it's February, but did everyone who had a bumper sticker suddenly scrape it off after the election? Possibly. But I am finding the discrepancies in what people are seeing very odd. I even looked at the cars in the driveways in my neighborhood. No bumper stickers.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 PM

133 posts, read 149,411 times
One thing I just realized may be very different in Florida (compared with AZ) is home owners insurance. With regard to any damages that have happened to my homes previously, I always have paid for repairing them myself without reporting a claim - now, these repairs have not been over $3000, I suppose I would report a claim if it were two or three times that tho. So, I am comfortable having a fairly high deductible. But, what are people paying for insurance? I am sure the flood zone a house is in also comes in to play. I will be trying to stay out of flood zones I suppose, too.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
I spent about a month in St Pete, and I stayed on Treasure Island in a condo on the beach. I actually looked around at possible rentals, but became somewhat discouraged at what was available. My impressions are only based on about a month's visit, so they are limited, but I found that "safe" neighborhoods were generally the old NE section of the city, along Tampa Bay on the eastern edge of the city, or the west side (Treasure Island, St Pete beach, etc).

The middle of St Pete is being gentrified, but didn't feel all that safe for a single retiree, and seemed run down. What I looked at in the old NE area was really overpriced and not modern (condos for rent in small complexes, and apartments in rehabbed houses). Way up north in the city (Gandy Blvd, no man's land in my view) there were some nice, modern apartment complexes, but they were too far away from the center city for me, and I would feel isolated as a retiree. Tons of nice high rise condos along the eastern edge of the city on the water (Tampa Bay), but very expensive.

I didn't look at apartments or rental condos in S Pasadena, but driving around there looked fine as far as safety, though the rents listed online were high. I also looked in Gulfport, but to get in or out of Gulfport, it was a bit of a drive north through questionable areas in south St Pete to get to downtown, for example, or to larger stores for shopping. I found Gulfport too small for me, though I did look at 2 different complexes there, mostly ok, but overpriced for their condition.

I also looked at rentals in St Pete Beach and Sunset Beach, but decided I didn't want to live that close to the beach with the seasonal crowds, much higher rents and potential for tropical storm damage. I stopped into one Senior Community Center near St Pete Beach and Treasure Island, and it was depressing, quite honestly. A few old ladies playing electronic bingo on a large screen in a large empty room on a beautiful sunny day. Definitely not for me. (I'm retired, but would be bored with indoor bingo.) But I'm sure there are other activities for retirees in that area that are more interesting, at least from my perspective. But, it's good that there are a wide range of activities available.

There seemed to be a lot of smokers around. It might be something more prevalent in Florida than in other states, or maybe just more obvious since people are outside, or maybe a characteristic of the older crowd who moves south to retire. I don't know the reason, but a lot of people smoked.

I liked Treasure Island for a beach vacation, however. It was not crowded on the beach itself, it was clean and beautiful, not filled with huge high rises, and definitely felt safe walking around at night.

I was there in late May/early June, and when it rained (thunderstorms nearly every day in the afternoon), the streets flooded at most of the intersections to the point that I had to pull over and wait. Otherwise I would have been driving through deep water. Apparently this is normal when it rains, according to the locals.

There were a lot of motorcycles on the western side of the city, close to the beaches, and they are loud. I'm not sure I'd want to live with that noise on a regular basis, if I was in a rental near a main road or street near a beach where the motorcycles were prevalent at all hours of the night.

I liked the downtown area (Vinoy) and the museums on the eastern edge of the city a lot, and visited all of them. There are cute shops and restaurants along Central and 1st Ave N, near the water, and those were interesting, but it's not a large area. Walking in that immediate area felt safe, but a few blocks north or west or south of downtown was a different story. More transients and vagrants around. The university is south of downtown.

I drove back and forth between the eastern side and western side of town on Central Ave. It was a reasonable way to get across the city. The middle of St Pete doesn't look that safe, quite honestly, though I did look at one newer apartment complex near downtown in a gentrified area, but it was too close to noisy bars and a sports complex, and parking would have been a challenge, even with off street parking in a covered garage. Plus the residents were mostly young folks, and I'd rather have a mix of ages wherever I live.

It takes a while to get oriented in St Pete, but it's a grid system of streets and once you learn the numbers for streets and avenues, it's not that bad. Overall, city traffic didn't seem that congested, but I stayed off of the big interstates and highways, and only drove around using city streets so I could see the city and get a feel for various neighborhoods.

People I met were very friendly and helpful, and I can't think of a negative encounter. I met a lot of people who had relocated from northern states and the midwest, so it was a mix of backgrounds. Most of the people I met had lived in Florida or St Pete for many years.

One word of caution, the city of St Pete is prone to significant flooding during tropical storms. Tropical storm Hermine last August caused significant flooding across St Pete and Tampa. I guess all of the coastal areas of Florida have varying degrees of storm risks, but given how much flooding St Pete has even during a daily run-of-the-mill thunderstorm, I can only imagine what it's like in a tropical storm.

I think that I would visit St Pete for the museums if I lived in Sarasota or Venice, for example, but at this point in time as a retiree, I'd rather live in a smaller city. (St Pete is 250,000)

Thank you for this great information!! Much appreciated!

Old 02-19-2017, 12:55 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Just a couple comments on the above posts:

I think any Senior Community Center will be depressing for someone newly retired looking for a fun, active lifestyle. The easiest way to accomplish this is to move into a 55+ community with activities, and pool and neighbors already built in. But a word to the wise if you take that route: These communities can be brutal and I am living proof of that, because I got way too involved, too fast, too much, and taken down by a bunch of hateful/jealous biddies who made my life miserable. So my main social life is outside this community, I am not involved in ANYTHING here, and how much more peaceful I am!

If I had my choice, I'd move closer to Sarasota -- more upscale, more sophisticated, more culture than Bradenton. Different kind of crowd. Way fewer trucks on lifts and more Mercedes and Lexus -- less redneck crowd is what I mean. However, I am in love with Anna Maria Island and would HATE to give that up. That is the best thing about this area and it's just glorious and not as jammed as Siesta.

NewtoVenice, I know you're trying to make the point that the area is not political, but looking for bumper stickers and signs after the election is over, not the right time to start the project. I don't know about Venice but trust me, Bradenton is mostly red. And politics will worm its way into the convo, somebody mentions Obamacare and we're off to the races. Sarasota is more liberal and got a great turnout for the Women's March and hopefully for the Tax Day march on 4/15.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:22 AM

695 posts, read 996,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You posted a fantastic synopsis of St. Pete from your visit; and as a lifelong resident of the Tampa Bay area I 100% agree with all you said. People here know we live in Sarasota now. We do love much about St. Pete, but the cons are all that you mentioned: while downtown is beautiful and very nice, anything (real estate) near is overpriced. The middle and immediate south sides of the city are ghetto, with much of St. Pete being run down. Very little upscale shopping (for those who care). The city was originally planned as a retirement haven, and until the past 10 years ago or so was still mostly for very senior citizens. The younger set are really only found near downtown. It is also far more segregated, and racial relations can be intense, even now. Midtown is scary! Water quality there is poor; also as mentioned many areas are prone to bad flooding, even in a small storm. In the event of a hurricane, evacuation is a real problem, as Pinellas County is the most intensely developed in the state, and is a peninsula. Very difficult to get off in a hurry! When you live in Florida, this is important.

I give Sarasota the edge these days because it is a much smaller city, has an amazing array of arts and cultural activities, an unbelievable music scene, fantastic beaches that are FREE, and much more. It is a cosmopolitan city, with people from all over the country and world living here part or full time. We even have a thriving Amish village! And of course Sarasota has the circus heritage. It makes for an interesting and diverse city, especially considering its small size. Yes, there are a lot of older people here, but there are a lot of "boomers" in 50s and 60s who are fit, active, intelligent and very vibrant. There are young people as well due to New College, USF and Ringling Schools of Art and Design.

You mentioned smokers - there seem to be very few in Sarasota, as least wherever I go. Fitness is big here, so smokers are in the minority. (Bradenton, however is a another story, lol) Anyway, I don't want anyone to think I am knocking St. Pete - it is indeed one of my favorite cities in Florida. We thought at one time we wanted to move there; but after considering the cons I mentioned we decided that (for us) Sarasota was the better place to live.

Hope this helps you and anyone else considering these two amazing cities.
Thanks so much for the positive feedback! I really appreciate it!

You mentioned the water quality in St Pete. I should add that when I stayed on Treasure Island, I bought bottled water during the entire stay, which was a bit of a hassle (carrying it from the car), but the water had a bad odor coming out of the faucet, so I elected to purchase drinking water from the get-go. I figured it was because I was on an island, and I have no idea what the water was like in St Pete city. Hopefully the water quality in Sarasota is better.

I think in general St Pete is more "up and coming" for a younger crowd willing to live in areas being gentrified. There were some very nice homes in the old Northeast, and if one had lots of resources, living in a high rise condo along the eastern edge of the city, north of the Vinoy, would be a beautiful location. No question about that, with easy access to museums and restaurants and the waterfront. But for retirees on a more modest budget, that's probably not in the cards.

Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Old 02-19-2017, 06:14 PM

13 posts, read 10,761 times
Hi Sailelsa,
I am also mid 40's, single, with 2 dogs looking to move from San Francisco to Dunedin, Gulfport, St Pete area? I considered Sarasota and/or Bradenton? I enjoyed reading these posts as they are helping me decide. My house range is closer to 250-300$. I want to be near the beach. Currently I live 0.5mi from Beach. If anyone has any recommendations for me of an area that is open, laid back, lots of restaurants/taverns, dog parks, biking, blading, kayaking, boating, anything outdoors to do... I am a RN so most of the hospital openings seem to be in Tampa/st Pete area...
thank you!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphyandmolly View Post
Hi Sailelsa,
I am also mid 40's, single, with 2 dogs looking to move from San Francisco to Dunedin, Gulfport, St Pete area? I considered Sarasota and/or Bradenton? I enjoyed reading these posts as they are helping me decide. My house range is closer to 250-300$. I want to be near the beach. Currently I live 0.5mi from Beach. If anyone has any recommendations for me of an area that is open, laid back, lots of restaurants/taverns, dog parks, biking, blading, kayaking, boating, anything outdoors to do... I am a RN so most of the hospital openings seem to be in Tampa/st Pete area...
thank you!

Hi MurphyandMolly! (My one dog's name is Molly ) I will be there shortly. I am going to check out Dunedin, St. Pete and Sarasota. I am kind of honing in on St. Pete. I know Sarasota is gorgeously beautiful and less crowded so I don't want to cross that off the list. St. Pete seems to be a very vibrant up and coming area - could be an exciting place to be over the next 5 years. Dunedin seems like an eclectic area that may be somewhat younger than Sarasota. I think, from what I am reading, that all three of these places have trails. That is important to me. I LOVE walking on trails or along the beach (or near the beach) with my dogs.

Quick question: what has made you decide on the West Coast vs East? I am 80% set on West, but still going to take a look at the East... I have a feeling it will be too crowded for me though.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:05 AM

So, I am here now. Just drove all of Sarasota and omg, I love it! It is beautiful. A city, but not too big and not too much traffic. I found St. Pete very, very crowded and kind of run down. It did not give me that Florida feeling I am looking for. So, it looks like it will be Sarasota for me if I stay on the West Coast. I have a dear friend on the East Coast of Florida - Space Coast, Satellite Beach - which I also found beautiful... but my impression is that Sarasota has more going on for a divorced 45 year old with no children - idk. As an aside, I did consider Dunedin and Safety Harbor but learned about a much higher frequency of sink holes and expensive foundation repairs there. It is a risk I do not want to take considering I do not have to be there for a job or family.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:30 AM

155 posts, read 154,181 times
Hey sailelsa, read through the thread and felt I had a lot of similarities with you and also have been looking at Sarasota so I was glad to hear you are liking it!

How would you compare your impression of the east coast with west coast of florida?

Is sarasota a retirement community with a lot of older people? I'm early 30's so want to avoid living in Boca Raton type place you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area