Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:43 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Thanks for the comments. Lots of issues are tied up in homelessness, and I did read that there was talk of another shelter in Sarasota, but as someone mentioned in this thread, it hasn't been built. The reality is that there is a percentage of homeless who don't want to stay in shelters, regardless of the rules, and with a warm climate, they can live outdoors year round, if that's their choice.

My concern would be walking around the downtown Sarasota area and getting hassled by panhandlers. I visited St Pete last year and didn't see panhandlers in the waterfront downtown area by the Vinoy, or the museums, etc. Nor did I see them on Treasure Island or on the beaches. But I'm sure they were around. St Pete is a large city (250,000), compared to Sarasota (55,000), so even a few hundred homeless in a small city can feel like a lot. The main thing is how the city deals with it, or ignores it.

Here in SE Michigan, I get panhandled in parking lots in front of grocery stores or gas stations or restaurants. Very unpleasant. Downtown areas are magnets for panhandlers, but they also "work the ramps on highways." In New England (Portland, ME), they were 4 deep on exit and entrance ramps to highways, staring into cars as they waited by the traffic lights. Downtown Portland was full of transients and panhandlers, especially for a small city (75,000). None of this is as bad as Portland, OR, which is ground zero for the homeless.

Anyway, I was wondering about Sarasota, which is more spread out geographically than some northern cities, but with the warm climate and tourists, likely attracts a population of homeless. Thanks again for the information.
There are two groups here - "panhandlers/beggars/scammers" and the true homeless. The true homeless you will see in groups in and around downtown, on certain side streets and near the library. Panhandlers are on major street corners holding up signs and pretending to be disabled. You will occasionally be approached by a panhandler in a shopping center parking lot. It's pretty much the same in St. Pete. In neither city will you be overly bothered by them. As an aside, Sarasota was once tagged the "meanest city in America" toward the homeless. You can google it.

I have been to cities where the "homeless" (and I am mostly talking lazy bums who could easily work) was far worse; like Asheville, NC, the mini Portland. This is NOWHERE near that scale. Honestly, I go months without encountering any at all except the beggars on the street corner when I am in my car, and they are not allowed to go up to cars now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 PM

695 posts, read 996,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There are two groups here - "panhandlers/beggars/scammers" and the true homeless. The true homeless you will see in groups in and around downtown, on certain side streets and near the library. Panhandlers are on major street corners holding up signs and pretending to be disabled. You will occasionally be approached by a panhandler in a shopping center parking lot. It's pretty much the same in St. Pete. In neither city will you be overly bothered by them. As an aside, Sarasota was once tagged the "meanest city in America" toward the homeless. You can google it.

I have been to cities where the "homeless" (and I am mostly talking lazy bums who could easily work) was far worse; like Asheville, NC, the mini Portland. This is NOWHERE near that scale. Honestly, I go months without encountering any at all except the beggars on the street corner when I am in my car, and they are not allowed to go up to cars now.
Thanks for the good info. Interesting you mentioned Asheville. I visited last year for a week in June, and when I was in the downtown area, I didn't see any homeless or panhandlers (thanks for clarifying the two groups). I asked some locals why I wasn't seeing any in the immediate DT area with so many tourists out and about, and they told me that Asheville has an ordinance against panhandling in the downtown area.

I don't know what the street boundaries are, but I didn't see any homeless or panhandlers at any time walking around DT over several days. It's a very small area, and I would imagine that there are panhandlers and homeless in Asheville, perhaps in areas adjacent to downtown. I was only there for a week. I don't know who actually enforces the ordinance against panhandling. It would have to be the cops, I guess, and I didn't see many of them around. Anyway, it was the first city I've visited that had an ordinance against panhandling. Thanks again for your good information.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM

461 posts, read 554,198 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Lots of issues are tied up in homelessness, and I did read that there was talk of another shelter in Sarasota, but as someone mentioned in this thread, it hasn't been built. The reality is that there is a percentage of homeless who don't want to stay in shelters, regardless of the rules, and with a warm climate, they can live outdoors year round, if that's their choice.

My concern would be walking around the downtown Sarasota area and getting hassled by panhandlers. I visited St Pete last year and didn't see panhandlers in the waterfront downtown area by the Vinoy, or the museums, etc. Nor did I see them on Treasure Island or on the beaches. But I'm sure they were around. St Pete is a large city (250,000), compared to Sarasota (55,000), so even a few hundred homeless in a small city can feel like a lot. The main thing is how the city deals with it, or ignores it.

Here in SE Michigan, I get panhandled in parking lots in front of grocery stores or gas stations or restaurants. Very unpleasant. Downtown areas are magnets for panhandlers, but they also "work the ramps on highways." In New England (Portland, ME), they were 4 deep on exit and entrance ramps to highways, staring into cars as they waited by the traffic lights. Downtown Portland was full of transients and panhandlers, especially for a small city (75,000). None of this is as bad as Portland, OR, which is ground zero for the homeless.

Anyway, I was wondering about Sarasota, which is more spread out geographically than some northern cities, but with the warm climate and tourists, likely attracts a population of homeless. Thanks again for the information.
The homeless are in St Pete but they are near Vinoy yes, across from Ruth Chris Steakhouse up there around 1st Ave N or off under the bridges.. They aren't as apparent as they are in downtown Sarasota though no way. It can be deceiving that you get a better quality of life in Sarasota than in St Pete. I mean if I could, I'd stay up near Gateway if my rental had everything I needed or I didn't meet as many crazies which I did or heavily eccentric types that I didn't click with. I have more things available to me at this rental house here off Bee Ridge so therefore I will stay here but honestly, I love that 4th St N corridor area. Its nice up there. Bee Ridge looks to be becoming Ulmerton Rd part 2. But ya personally if I could have found the right situation in a good part of St Pete, that's where I'd be. Theres also more parks up there too than there is here. Celery Hill looks like a good place here though, the closest thing there is to a good park. Its just a hassle to get over there though.

I know the scammer homeless also.. and I troll them each chance I get too.. I don't give them jack.
I would imagine the real homeless in Sarasota are in that park near Whole Foods though.

Portland OR huh? I been there also. I was over in SE Division area. A lot of tweakers out there. I think if I were to be in the Portland area, I'd take Beaverton or Milwaukee, Vancouver. I like some parts of that areas very much but it gets tricky in the way that theres some I do not either. Hawthorne is overhyped. 4th St/Old NE area is the closest thing there is to Hawthorne though for the TB area. Maybe MLK ave going up to North Portland. That's fixing up pretty nice now. I'd say 4th St N sort of reminds me of that but so does North Florida Ave in Tampa too. Some areas here remind me a little of Portland just with palm trees. Not Sarasota though but a part of St Pete may and Tampa.

BTW I am from New England too.. MA on the NH border I grew up in.. Around Lowell.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:24 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
I was hit up by an old guy reeking of alcohol at a gas station south of Proctor the other day. I was getting in my car; he came up right at me before I could close the door. That was a first; don't think that just because this is Sarasota that the homeless are going to be nice when begging. It's frightening & yes, they're out on the keys here as well ~ this town just likes to wallpaper over the homeless.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:53 AM

695 posts, read 996,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I was hit up by an old guy reeking of alcohol at a gas station south of Proctor the other day. I was getting in my car; he came up right at me before I could close the door. That was a first; don't think that just because this is Sarasota that the homeless are going to be nice when begging. It's frightening & yes, they're out on the keys here as well ~ this town just likes to wallpaper over the homeless.
I had the same experience here in SE Michigan. I was getting into my car in the evening outside a pizza restaurant, and a woman and young girl came up to me as I was getting into my car. I usually just ignore panhandlers, but I was caught off guard since panhandlers usually don't work at night around here in the winter (cold!), and because it was a woman and young girl. Anyway, I hesitated getting into my car as she started talking to me, and after a sentence or two, I realized it was a scam asking for money. Then I closed the car door and quickly drove off. What's frightening is that they were likely not working alone, and some guy they were working with could have been sitting in a car in the lot while sending them out to panhandle people in the lot.

This area has plenty of shelters, warming centers, free breakfast and dinners at all the churches every day, so there is no shortage of assistance for those who are truly homeless or hungry. I suspect this woman and girl were professional scammers. They looked well-dressed. I have also been hit up for money by panhandlers working the parking lots in front of grocery stores and at gas stations, though they move along if someone comes out and tells them to leave. Those lots are all private property.

We had another scam around town in the fall with two guys dressed in the local college gear holding clipboards, intercepting everyone going into local grocery stores, even chasing them down before you got to the door, very aggressive. They were carrying around a fake survey, and after they got your attention with the clipboards, they asked for money. Creative! The managers from the grocery stores chased them away, but then they just moved to another grocery store parking lot.

Speaking of well-dressed. It always makes me laugh when I see this young woman holding up a cardboard sign on a local expressway entrance ramp wearing new Nike's and other designer clothes. At least they should look the part! LOL

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 02-19-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 PM

461 posts, read 554,198 times
Quote:
I had the same experience here in SE Michigan. I was getting into my car in the evening outside a pizza restaurant, and a woman and young girl came up to me as I was getting into my car. I usually just ignore panhandlers, but I was caught off guard since panhandlers usually don't work at night around here in the winter (cold!), and because it was a woman and young girl. Anyway, I hesitated getting into my car as she started talking to me, and after a sentence or two, I realized it was a scam asking for money. Then I closed the car door and quickly drove off. What's frightening is that they were likely not working alone, and some guy they were working with could have been sitting in a car in the lot while sending them out to panhandle people in the lot.

This area has plenty of shelters, warming centers, free breakfast and dinners at all the churches every day, so there is no shortage of assistance for those who are truly homeless or hungry. I suspect this woman and girl were professional scammers. They looked well-dressed. I have also been hit up for money by panhandlers working the parking lots in front of grocery stores and at gas stations, though they move along if someone comes out and tells them to leave. Those lots are all private property.

We had another scam around town in the fall with two guys dressed in the local college gear holding clipboards, intercepting everyone going into local grocery stores, even chasing them down before you got to the door, very aggressive. They were carrying around a fake survey, and after they got your attention with the clipboards, they asked for money. Creative! The managers from the grocery stores chased them away, but then they just moved to another grocery store parking lot.

Speaking of well-dressed. It always makes me laugh when I see this young woman holding up a cardboard sign on a local expressway entrance ramp wearing new Nike's and other designer clothes. At least they should look the part! LOL
Rich people suck at trying to be homeless. And they're lazy. I cant stand the Ffffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area