Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:45 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You have to override irrational thinking that you allow your brain to engage in.

If you think about the potential hazards on the road, the bridge is probably the lowest you face. When was the last time you heard that a motorist accidentally drove over the sides of the Skyway Bridge?

You really should be concerned about the head-on collision or wrong-way driver - or DUI drivers on the road. Those are more rational concerns and are more likely going to "do you in".
Phobias are irrational fears by definition...and I bet whether willing to admit it or not, everyone reading this thread has at least one.

That being said - there are so many bridges in Florida there are times you probably wouldn't even realize you were going over one.

Best of luck OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 PM

809 posts, read 746,271 times
Quote:
You get over it. I had it for the Sunshine Skyway, but nowadays it's an after-thought. Take the inner lane. Keep your eyes forward and imagine you're just on another roadway/tunnel. I've lost track at the number of times I've gone over (driven, of course) the Skyway, hundreds?
AHH, so that's why people are driving 55 mph in the "fast lane"

Seriously, if you can't handle the skyway, just take I-75 all the way to and from Tampa.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:47 AM

87 posts, read 119,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Phobias are irrational fears by definition...and I bet whether willing to admit it or not, everyone reading this thread has at least one.

That being said - there are so many bridges in Florida there are times you probably wouldn't even realize you were going over one.

Best of luck OP!

No, you're absolutely mistaken on this one. Everyone does not suffer from a single irrational fear (phobia), or mental illness. You might lose you bet on this assertion or claim.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:35 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
I don't blame you. Considering the dilapidated condition of some bridges, I don't like them either. Most older bridges are at the end of their lifespan.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 AM

149 posts, read 140,788 times
Here is one for you..... when I lived in Washington State the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is a bit freaky... because it has a history... I put the link for the footage here for your viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XggxeuFDaDU

It sways in the wind now, and with quakes etc it makes the bridge safer... but still a bit nerve wracking...

Old 03-04-2017, 12:32 PM

695 posts, read 996,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I don't live in Sarasota, but it's not a ridiculous question to ask, lots of people have bridge phobia. There is a bridge in America that frightens a lot of people, not only ones with a phobia about bridges, sometimes the people hire a guy to drive them across the bridge to the other side. I wish I knew the name of this bridge, maybe some one knows the name of it.
There may be others, but the Mackinac Bridge between the lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan is one bridge that has a Drivers Assistance Program, at no additional fees. You ride as a passenger and one of the Bridge Authority "drivers" will take you across. I've driven myself across a few times, and it's not that high, but the problem is that you can see the water through the bottom of the bridge, which does not have a solid paved road on the bottom, and it sways a bit in the wind. It's a suspension bridge with an open metal grate on the bottom. It is a bit nerve-wracking for me when I've driven over it, kind of a white-knuckle experience a few times, but others may not be bothered by it. I've never had any driver assistance on that bridge. Beautiful bridge and beautiful part of the state, however. Worth seeing and driving over it.

From the website:

"The Mackinac Bridge Authority has a 'Drivers Assistance Program' available 24/7 for all vehicle types. The program provides drivers for motorists who are uncomfortable with driving across the Mackinac Bridge. If you are traveling northbound, pull over on the wide shoulder of I-75 located immediately after the last exit (James Street) to Mackinaw City. If you have a cell phone you can call 906-643-7600 to ask for a driver or there is a phone booth near the fence at that location. Instructions for using the phone are posted in the phone box. If you are southbound, just ask a fare collector for assistance. There is no additional fee for this service. If you have questions, please call 906-643-7600."

Mackinac Bridge Authority, St. Ignace Michigan

Personally, I don't particularly like the high, narrow bridges or the steep ones over open water, like the Skyway between St Pete and Bradenton, for example. But if one lives there, it's probably something you get used to driving over. There are a lot of tall bridges around the country. I've been on the Ambassador Bridge between the US and Canada at Detroit, which is high (and scenic) but always slow, with lots of traffic, so less scary somehow. No one is driving fast. There are also very high bridges around the Niagara Falls area, which are well maintained and scenic.

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 03-04-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 08:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
There may be others, but the Mackinac Bridge between the lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan is one bridge that has a Drivers Assistance Program, at no additional fees. You ride as a passenger and one of the Bridge Authority "drivers" will take you across. I've driven myself across a few times, and it's not that high, but the problem is that you can see the water through the bottom of the bridge, which does not have a solid paved road on the bottom, and it sways a bit in the wind. It's a suspension bridge with an open metal grate on the bottom. It is a bit nerve-wracking for me when I've driven over it, kind of a white-knuckle experience a few times, but others may not be bothered by it. I've never had any driver assistance on that bridge. Beautiful bridge and beautiful part of the state, however. Worth seeing and driving over it.

From the website:

"The Mackinac Bridge Authority has a 'Drivers Assistance Program' available 24/7 for all vehicle types. The program provides drivers for motorists who are uncomfortable with driving across the Mackinac Bridge. If you are traveling northbound, pull over on the wide shoulder of I-75 located immediately after the last exit (James Street) to Mackinaw City. If you have a cell phone you can call 906-643-7600 to ask for a driver or there is a phone booth near the fence at that location. Instructions for using the phone are posted in the phone box. If you are southbound, just ask a fare collector for assistance. There is no additional fee for this service. If you have questions, please call 906-643-7600."

Mackinac Bridge Authority, St. Ignace Michigan

Personally, I don't particularly like the high, narrow bridges or the steep ones over open water, like the Skyway between St Pete and Bradenton, for example. But if one lives there, it's probably something you get used to driving over. There are a lot of tall bridges around the country. I've been on the Ambassador Bridge between the US and Canada at Detroit, which is high (and scenic) but always slow, with lots of traffic, so less scary somehow. No one is driving fast. There are also very high bridges around the Niagara Falls area, which are well maintained and scenic.
I haven't heard of the Mackinac Bridge - I think the fact that it has an open metal grate on the bottom and you can see the water is rather unnerving especially to walk across it. It sounds like a bridge with gorgeous views though. Maybe, some people would also rather have a driver drive them across so they could enjoy the beautiful scenery.

One day I want to visit the Niagara Falls area, it's an amazingly beautiful place and I've heard stories from people that have gone there. Used to be a big honeymoon spot, too.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:10 PM

695 posts, read 996,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I haven't heard of the Mackinac Bridge - I think the fact that it has an open metal grate on the bottom and you can see the water is rather unnerving especially to walk across it. It sounds like a bridge with gorgeous views though. Maybe, some people would also rather have a driver drive them across so they could enjoy the beautiful scenery.

One day I want to visit the Niagara Falls area, it's an amazingly beautiful place and I've heard stories from people that have gone there. Used to be a big honeymoon spot, too.
Thanks! I guess unless you are from the upper midwest and have driven around northern Michigan or northern Wisconsin, you might not have heard of the Mackinac Bridge connecting northern and lower Michigan. Beautiful scenery, though, for anyone who makes the drive north.

Huge sand dunes and nice beaches in western northern Michigan on the Great lakes also, on the Leelanau Peninsula. Not the ocean, of course, but still nice........in the summer and fall. Winter, on the other hand........is only for those who like real winter weather, cold and lots of snow. LOL

The Official Website of the Sleeping Bear Dunes Visitors Bureau | Sleeping Bear Dunes

Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Thanks! I guess unless you are from the upper midwest and have driven around northern Michigan or northern Wisconsin, you might not have heard of the Mackinac Bridge connecting northern and lower Michigan. Beautiful scenery, though, for anyone who makes the drive north.

Huge sand dunes and nice beaches in western northern Michigan on the Great lakes also, on the Leelanau Peninsula. Not the ocean, of course, but still nice........in the summer and fall. Winter, on the other hand........is only for those who like real winter weather, cold and lots of snow. LOL

The Official Website of the Sleeping Bear Dunes Visitors Bureau | Sleeping Bear Dunes
I haven't heard of Mackinac Bridge, but I thought Mackinac sounded familiar, then I found out that Mackinac Island is around there and that's where they filmed that old movie, Somewhere In Time. They filmed on or around that island, Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel. I still remember the gorgeous scenery in that movie. I never knew that Michigan was so blessed with the natural beauty it has. The Sleeping Bear Dunes looked like some place exotic, maybe in Europe or Africa. After seeing the pictures, I am not surprised it was named Most Beautiful Place In America. I am putting this place on my bucket list. We never know about all these special places right in our backyard!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
You have to override irrational thinking that you allow your brain to engage in.

If you think about the potential hazards on the road, the bridge is probably the lowest you face. When was the last time you heard that a motorist accidentally drove over the sides of the Skyway Bridge?

You really should be concerned about the head-on collision or wrong-way driver - or DUI drivers on the road. Those are more rational concerns and are more likely going to "do you in".
I don't think anyone has ever driven or been pushed over the low concrete barriers of the new bridge -- BUT, there's always a first. I've certainly seen accidents happen where cars get impaled on the sides of a bridge and are hanging over, so it could happen. But that IS why I hug the inner lane. The idea of plunging down into that bay are frightening, where with surface road accidents, there's places theoretically you can try to avoid the accident.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...1&disp=safe&zw

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area