Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Absolutely not true. I lived there 12 years. There are plenty of professional jobs in Boca/Delray, as well as access to WBP, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami for additional opportunities. There are opportunities for professionals in all fields there.

If Sarasota is trying to be another Boca/Delray as a poster claimed, they need to support professional jobs. The areas do not compare.

In Boca/Delray: A decent home is $275K minimum. For $400K you get a really nice home. You can also spend $200K and live in a rundown area. A 2-2 townhouse in a decent area will be $150K minimum. If you want nice, $200K.

We clearly have different opinions on what is considered a decent home and how the job market is.
I've lived in South Florida 22 years... interesting how you and I see it very differently.
Good luck!

No clue why any area would want to be like Boca.
It's a hot mess - they ruined it.
Too many people and poor city planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 10:35 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Boca and Delray have plenty of professional jobs. If Sarasota is looking to be another Boca/Delray, it needs jobs to attract a population that can get well-paying jobs so it can build a demo of working professionals, that's what I meant. And in comparison to Boca/Delray, Sarasota is very affordable. You cannot get a single family home in a decent neighbor for less than $275K in Boca/Delray, and that's a fixer upper.

They are very different areas.
I totally agree with you in respect to jobs.

As far as a sfh in a decent neighborhood, price range is same.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
We clearly have different opinions on what is considered a decent home and how the job market is.
I've lived in South Florida 22 years... interesting how you and I see it very differently.
Good luck!

lol, you should see what the city planners have currently allowed & what's yet to come.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
lol, you should see what the city planners have currently allowed & what's yet to come.

Oh no!
I'm so sorry to hear that.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM

Google images for "The Vue" Sarasota. It's being built right on top of the sidewalk.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Good luck!

i think we differ on what "decent" means. To my sis, anything less than $700K is a dump, that's her perspective.

A family CAN find a decent, not nice, not luxurious, home in Boca/Delray for $275K. It's doable. Rainberry Park in Boca is a perfect example. Would I want to live there? No, not for me. But it's an OK neighborhood for families. And everyone I knew worked, no one was without a job. Were they always thrilled? No. Did they find other work and "move up"? Yes.

And I do agree 100%, not sure why they would even attempt to be like Boca, all chains, all the time. Ugh. They won't be able to sustain it without professional jobs.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
i think we differ on what "decent" means. To my sis, anything less than $700K is a dump, that's her perspective.

A family CAN find a decent, not nice, not luxurious, home in Boca/Delray for $275K. It's doable. Rainberry Park in Boca is a perfect example. Would I want to live there? No, not for me. But it's an OK neighborhood for families. And everyone I knew worked, no one was without a job. Were they always thrilled? No. Did they find other work and "move up"? Yes.

And I do agree 100%, not sure why they would even attempt to be like Boca, all chains, all the time. Ugh. They won't be able to sustain it without professional jobs.
Here's the deal: Sarasota=retired community ~ retirees' children have added to the housing pool because they liked the sleepiness of the town in the 80s/90s when visiting ~ fast forward to the eastern development of the Lakewood Ranch & Palmer Ranch between 2000 and 2005 ~ communities to which the "professional families" gravitate towards ~ downtown has done a drastic condominium download in the past two years with it looking like every builder in motion got a permit at the same time ~ the groundwork was laid ten years ago during the mortgage collapse ~ banking on foreign investors & baby boomers, the word is build it up until you can't out on the street ~ within the next five to seven years, we'll see if this remains true. Again, there are professionals working here ~ check out the revamped exits at University Parkway and I-75....just kidding, they had to redo it due to population growth. Construction professionalism at it's finest...

Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Google images for "The Vue" Sarasota. It's being built right on top of the sidewalk.
Ick.. just heartbreaking.
Concrete everywhere.

What I don't understand..
IMO it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when...
a major hurricane's going to tear through some area of the state and with all this over building/developing... insurance companies will all go out of business?

Old 05-17-2017, 12:08 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
The plans are to reconfigure the exits at State Rd 70 & I-75, State Rd 64 & I-75 as well in the next 1-4 years due to growth in the area. The people that bought the hundreds of new homes off of Rye Rd will soon have to deal with something similar to what's been going on at I-75 & University Parkway.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
A family CAN find a decent, not nice, not luxurious, home in Boca/Delray for $275K. It's doable. Rainberry Park in Boca is a perfect example. Would I want to live there? No, not for me. But it's an OK neighborhood for families.

Not sure how long ago you lived in the area.. but that area around 441 & and going south... I think it's referred to as Sandalfoot...
Lots of problems with drugs and the crime that goes with it.

It's a shame as I have very fond memories of that area...going back many years though.

I should clarify... the homes themselves look fine.. it's that neighborhood that would scare me away... seems that's the rule of thumb in South Florida... if it's something I might afford... the neighborhood's bad

Last edited by cfbs2691; 05-17-2017 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area