Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:07 AM

12 posts, read 11,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I don't know how to make it any clearer...almost NOBODY cares what you do in your own home so long as you are not breaking the law. Why are you making a big deal out of nothingness? I find that strange.

Maybe it's because homosexuals are consumed with their own homosexuality, and the homosexual world, the homosexual sex acts, and the homosexual agenda, while MOST other people could care less. Many homosexuals are preoccupied with being homosexual. They make an issue out of something that isn't necessarily an issue. What's worse, many tend to recoil with indignation if other normal everyday people and families may not be so eager to agree with their own private sexual proclivities or even people's perversions of all kinds. Some of us out here in society may agree with polygamy and some of us may find it despicable and immoral. Everyone isn't forced to believe in the same things. Some of us have a sense of right and wrong, moral and immoral, and some of us have absolutely no sense of any morality.

Some people out here don't believe in God, and some do believe in God. Beliefs are individual. Some believe in the edicts of a specific religion, and others scoff at the identical edicts and principles.

Agreed, whatever kind of sexual appetites you have and pursue in you own home is your business, no matter how perverted as long as you're not breaking civil law. But it's foolish to expect and demand that others must endorse, embrace or support your private behavior, or really want to know about it. Disagreement or lack of endorsement doesn't make someone else "homophobic", but that's a homosexual's go-to comeback and defense mechanism. Employing that tactic is plainly ineffective, except in their own heads. The other tactic they tend to use is to suggest that the disagreeing party *must* be a closet homosexual themselves, or have some deep-seated, latent homosexual tendencies or *desires*....which is also rubbish of the worst order. It is very very strange indeed as you suggested above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 11:27 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
I'm beginning to understand that when people say "gay friendly" that what they really mean is "gay celebrated."

Is Sarasota and surrounding areas "gay friendly"? YES

Is Sarasota and surrounding areas "gay celebrated?" NO

Substitute "heterosexual marriage" in both questions and you'll get the same exact answer.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTWeston View Post
Its not about forced association... the paranoia comes from violence and nastiness by supposed christian people. Gay people just want to be treated as any other person... and not have to fear violence or nastiness from their neighbors. Thats what the gay friendly means... is it a place where people are decent to each other no matter their differences...
And being treated as "normal" ALSO means that people have the right NOT to like or accept you. It's a fact of being heterosexual, too. It's a plain fact of life for EVERYONE> I don't expect every person I meet to like me or accept me. Not sure why the LGBT movement does.

I expect civility. That's all.

And that's what you'll get in Sarasota.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:00 PM

144 posts, read 158,819 times
Agreed. I'm a gay man and I don't expect everyone to like me . Most people I meet don't care either way about it. Once in awhile someone will have a problem but that's exactly what it is, their problem. I treat people the way I want to be treated. It's a simple concept but its golden

Old 06-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintItBlack79 View Post
Wow, the haters are doubling down.

You invent your own meaning for "gay-friendly" to make it as abhorrent as possible, and then complain how abhorrent it is.

I'm straight, but if I were gay I'd absolutely want to find out if people in a new area I was thinking of moving to were going to be hostile. And you all have totally proved that they will be here in the Sarasota area.

Nice work. I bet you're all at church this morning pretending to be Christians.
Nope. Nice assumption thought. Haven't set foot in a church in decades, do not belong to any religion.

You are 100% misinterpreting the posts here. You do not want gay friendly -- where people seriously don't care what you do, they wont pay attention to you or ask you when you came out and your first gay experience, etc., instead they'll ask you what you do for a living say hey nice sunset, looks like rain and MOVE ON ...

You want gay celebrated -- to be noticed and congratulated and pointed out in a group as the "gay" one so everyone can fawn all over you and stand in line to be your friend .. just BECAUSE you are gay. Which quite frankly is also discrimination.

But hey, of that's what people are looking for, you're right, this is NOT the place for them. Because in this area NO ONE CARES if you are gay. Just like NO ONE CARES that I'm married.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 AM

144 posts, read 158,819 times
It’s not about being celebrated. It’s about me not having to look over my shoulder when walking with my partner hand and hand . If that’s considered “ in your face “ then too bad . My partner and I have been together since we were in the 11th grade . We are now both 44. He was a marine and in law enforcement and I’m in healthcare . Both have contributed to society . Live life on your on terms and be nice to one another . Religious people have every right to their beliefs as do non religious . No reason there can’t be respect for each other’s differences . When you start imposing your beliefs on me in a disrespectful way then there will be an issue . I’m not someone who preaches acceptance if it’s not the way you believe but I won’t let someone disrespect me either.

Last edited by crag73; 06-03-2018 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Spelling.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The ONLY person who's saying that is is you. I can't imagine why you would decide to assign intent to me or to the OP. Perhaps you're a mindreader. What a marvelous skill to have.

No, you simply say ugly things like that because you ARE a gay hater and are trying desperately to camouflage it.

I don't know what's so hard about admitting that people are still ugly towards the gay community and unfriendly to gay folks, and that it only makes sense to inquire before moving it you're going to be discriminated against.

Since I already live here, I thank heaven I'm straight. Because the nasty things you are inventing about me and the OP are quite vile. I wonder if they're against the TOS here. I'll have to check.
Saying there is a difference between gay friendly and gay celebrated is not hate. It is defining behavior that LGBT seek to surround themselves with. If people want to know if Sarasota is the new San Fran (gay celebrated), well, no it's not. And if that's what they are seeking, they should probably move elsewhere. That's not hate, it's ADVICE. Kinda like someone saying that they like mountains. Great, you like mountains. They aren't in Sarasota, so you'd be happier in Colorado, so maybe move there.

But would they have issues if they moved here? No. Absolutely not. People don't care. And that is not hate, it's fact. No one cares who you have a relationship with. LGBT are treated like everyone else. If they are nice, they will be treated kindly. If they are jerks, well, the same standard will apply.

The fact that YOU see gay friendly behavior as hate shows you feel that gay friendly is not enough. That the area should be gay celebrated.

But, if you have a problem with understanding words and what they mean as impartial and unemotional, go argue with Webster.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I'm ignoring the rest of the tripe being posted here by bigots, but I WILL reject this ignorant statement, which is a COMPLETE LIE.

I do NOT see "gay-friendly behavior as hate", and have never said such a thing either here or anywhere else.

What I see is people inventing intent for the the OP and other gay people, which makes them seem abnormal and self-centered. This is an insult and extremely bigoted.

No one here has met me or the OP. Yet some of you insist over and over that our intent is to "celebrate" being gay as if it were a fact. You do not read minds. You do not know this. It is not a fact. I imagine it's your fear and/or religious bigotry that causes you to invent such bilge about people you've never met.

And it says MUCH more about you than about some poor woman hoping to find a nice place to live where no one would harass her, her wife or their kid.

That's the last I'm going to post on this matter, and I would hope the mods would close this thread that started out with an innocent question and turned into a gay-bashing circus. So far I'm not encouraged by this forum, which seemed so friendly when I started reading it and signed up.

Oh, and I can assure the poster who says I need to check my dictionary that I have been a writer for 40 years and I most certainly do not need help, thanks. Rather it's people who think the word "friendly" means "celebrate" that should check their dictionary.
Sarasota is a great place to live. It will treat everyone the same. True statement.

LGBT person reads that and moves here, and expects pride parades, LGBT weekends, rainbow stickers in every store window ... CUE TO ... what?? they don't have that here??? they told me Sarasota was gay friendly????

If by "gay friendly," however, you are talking about living in a San Francisco/South Beach vibe, where LGBT stores, clubs, activities, etc., are the norm and seen everywhere, well, Sarasota might not the place for you.

There is absolutely NOTHING hate-filled in either statement I posted. You need to understand the difference between FACT and EMOTION. And check your emotion at the door and realize people move places for all different reasons, and to give them a clear picture of the environment is not hate. it's advice.

If someone wants mountains, you don't tell them to move to Sarasota. If they want the beach? Great, perfect place for you. Realities people. Some of us live in them, and some of us don't.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:45 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I think it would REALLY help if posters specified exactly what they mean when they ask if a place is "gay friendly." Because honestly, a lot of us really don't know what they are looking for. I have lived here for many years, know many in the gay community going back to the 1980s, and no one I know has ever really had any problem. It is kind of like when people come here and ask if a place is "progressive." I have no idea what THAT means, either, at least in their world.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Well, you apparently don't know any gay folks, or you'd know what the OP meant. Instead you went straight past sane and into an EMOTIONAL rant about gay people wanting to be "celebrated" and be "treated as special."

Meh. You can try, but your colors are showing.
You know nothing about me or who I know or don't know. So don't assume anything. Stop being so emotional. and actually listen and understand what people are saying

People need to be specific when they say gay friendly. What does it mean? What does it REALLY mean???

But apparently you believe all gay people are the same, so , well, colors showing and all that stereotypical nonsense.

LGBT will get along fine here if they like to be left to their business and treated like everyone else. If they want a vibe like San Fran/Miami/Wilton Manners? Maybe Sarasota is not the right place. They won't be happy here.

And there is nothing hate-filled or homophobic about that. It's R E A L I T Y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area