Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM

133 posts, read 589,622 times

Advertisements

We have looked at apartments online both in Lakewood Ranch and Palmer Ranch. Looks like they are on opposite ends of the city. Are they similar or totally different? What do each have to offer in terms of things to do with family, access to shopping and dining, and reasonable housing? Is one "nicer" than the other (ie safe, better maintained neighborhoods, etc)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Here's some info I wrote about LWR and Palmer Ranch:
Lakewood Ranch

The exceptional gated community of Lakewood Ranch is really a city right on the Sarasota County and Manatee County line on the fabulous west coast of Florida. Award winning Lakewood Ranch is graced by numerous natural lakes as large as 160 acres and has its own shopping district and schools. Lakewood Ranch is comprised by five villages – Summerfield, Edgewater, Riverwalk, Greenbrook and the Country Club of Lakewood Ranch. It is home to young families, singles, retirees and winter residents.

Minutes from Sarasota Bradenton International Airport, Lakewood Ranch offers the privacy you want and the convenience and activities that simplify your life. Lakewood Ranch spreads gently across beautifully landscaped property, featuring lakes, nature preserves, and parks. Here you will feel close to nature but you are not far from shopping, schools, medical facilities and engaging entertainment. This gracious, master planned community covers 8,500 beautifully landscaped acres and supplies residents with an abundance of recreational activities. Golfers love Lakewood Ranch for its 54 holes of championship golf. The course was designed by the Arnold Palmer design team and is complemented by the natural setting and gentle fairways. And there is more! Lakewood Ranch has a spectacular country club with a swimming pool, fitness center and facility, well-maintained tennis courts, and even a community medical facility.
The Lakewood Ranch community was designed in harmony with its natural surroundings with miles of trails and sidewalks for biking, jogging and hiking. Lakewood Ranch homes exist in concert with nature - more than half of the 8,500 acres of land has been set aside as open space. Single-family homes, villas, estates and condos are available to satisfy every taste. Homes in the Country Club area range from 1,500 to 8,000 square feet. In Edgewater Village you can live in a 1,600 to 3,000 square foot home on a beautiful lake, and launch your boat at Wharf Park. Greenbrook Village is perfect for nature lovers, with natural Florida preserves and easy access to Adventure Park. Summerfield Village is the ideal family community, within walking distance of great schools like
Lakewood Ranch High School, and surrounded by lakes and parks. Riverwalk has miles of nature trails for bird watching and nature hikes, and beautiful lakes that sparkle in the sunlight.

Palmer Ranch
Palmer Ranch is located in fast-growing and peaceful south Sarasota. From anywhere in Palmer Ranch, the beach can be reached in about ten minutes, downtown in about twenty. Not that you would need to go anywhere at all if you lived in Palmer Ranch – it has its own grocery store, mall and a variety of other amenities including gas stations and shopping centers. Palmer Ranch is a massive master-planned community spreading over 10,000 acres. At this size, it is by far Sarasota’s largest single development, and is one of the friendliest communities to be a part of.

Regardless of what type of home you’re looking for, Palmer Ranch has it. The community is full of individually maintained subdivisions, from condominiums and villas to single family homes to grand estate homes. Lifestyles, architecture and prices differ but the one thing that they all have in common is that they’re located in one of the most impressive communities in Sarasota. The entire development, including all the smaller communities within all have a very manicured and luxurious feel; this makes driving from your home to the supermarket not such a chore!
Just a few of the communities that lie within Palmer Ranch are Silver Oak, Prestancia, Turtle Rock, Deer Creek, Arielle, Serenade and Pinestone. Many of these communities offer homes or condos with lakefront or golf course views. These communities within a community all offer different amenities and lifestyles, so be sure to check out each one for the benefits that suit your family best.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Hey SoFLGal - are you showing off again!
Beautiful pictures, they look like really nice places.

Hey Buckeyegal, I hope you find this site useful. I hope you and your husband have great time scheduling your trip down. Make sure you take some time for your self, and check out Siesta Key's beach, and hit a couple of the beach side / road side bar / restaurants. You guys will love it!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM

166 posts, read 603,941 times
They are different, but its hard for me to quantify. Lakewood Ranch is more of a small city on the edge of Sarasota and Bradenton. Palmer Ranch, while a large development, is more of an area within South Sarasota. I think traffic is better on Clark Road (palmer ranch) than University (lakewood ranch). Personally, I like South Sarasota more than the University Parkway area, but South Sarasota is my neck of the woods.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:25 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegal78 View Post
We have looked at apartments online both in Lakewood Ranch and Palmer Ranch. Looks like they are on opposite ends of the city. Are they similar or totally different? What do each have to offer in terms of things to do with family, access to shopping and dining, and reasonable housing? Is one "nicer" than the other (ie safe, better maintained neighborhoods, etc)

Thanks!
We bought in Palmer Ranch. It was a better fit for us than Lakewood Ranch. I wouldn't say that one is nicer/safer than the other, but Atroxanautin has kind of highlighted the differences.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
i miss lakewood ranch---many friendly neighbors there

Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
One caveat about Lakewood Ranch - some of the homes there have been built with that Chinese drywall, (Lennar homes) which there are articles every day about it in the local paper. It makes people sick, smells foul, and corrodes pipes and wiring. Be sure any home you look at there was not built with the stuff. It affects homes built from about 2006-2007, during the boom.

Palmer Ranch is older, so I don't think there are any worries there.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:14 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
One caveat about Lakewood Ranch - some of the homes there have been built with that Chinese drywall, (Lennar homes) which there are articles every day about it in the local paper. It makes people sick, smells foul, and corrodes pipes and wiring. Be sure any home you look at there was not built with the stuff. It affects homes built from about 2006-2007, during the boom.
Thanks for mentioning this Gypsychic! I hadn't heard about the Chinese drywall problem, but will do research and make sure I remember it when searching in Florida. Sounds like a terrible problem to have.

SoFLGal ~ those pictures and accompanying information are great!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:52 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Glad you like the pics! Here's a few stories referencing what Gypsychic mentioned about the drywall issue: Drywall worries affect Lakewood Ranch homeowner | HeraldTribune.com | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Homeowners Say Chinese Drywall Making Them Sick

Drywall From China Raises Health, Safety Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Thanks for mentioning this Gypsychic! I hadn't heard about the Chinese drywall problem, but will do research and make sure I remember it when searching in Florida. Sounds like a terrible problem to have.

SoFLGal ~ those pictures and accompanying information are great!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM

133 posts, read 589,622 times
You all have been so helpful! I have only made one major move in my life and that was twelve years ago, so as you can imagine I'm kinda nervous moving someplace where I don't know anyone. My husband and I are coming to Sarasota for a week in April to explore and get to know the area. Any recommendations on things to do while we are there (when we are not looking at apartments?!) I most definately will be going to Siesta Key beach, but what else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area