U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best area to live Sarasota ,Bradenton or Venice?
Lakewood Ranch 2 28.57%
South Sarasota 3 42.86%
Venice 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 4,404 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Sarasota from Atlanta. We will like to buy a house (3 bedrooms ) in a subdivision with pool , near by restaurants, shopping centers, and movie theathers. We heard good things about Lake Wood Ranch what other areas do you recomed?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,392,492 times
What is your price range?

Old 06-11-2017, 09:15 AM

87 posts, read 61,410 times
I lived in Smyrna, then west Cobb/Vining, then moved to Sarasota. The area in toto is not comparable in many ways, but there are a few similarities. One is that residents of Atlanta come from all over the US and even the world. That is also true about Sarasota and Manatee counties...very true
If you are a true ATL suburbanite as perhaps DeKalb, Gwinnett or west Cobb, then you will like looking at the planned "township" encompassing "Lakewood Ranch" which has a variety of price points, from the high 200s to 1.6mm.There is no area comparable to around Buckhead or Powers Ferry.Besides LWR, there is Palmer Ranch which is a bit older and earlier developed, but there are newer south Sarasota communities around Ashton for instance....and even newer stuff near Nokomis/Casey key etc, but hardly as close to the amenities that you cited which are massively available now (and much more planned) around "greater Lakewood Ranch".

Tons of newer options going in and very close to amenities....north Lockwood Road (west side of road) from north of University all the way to SR70 (both sides east and west of road).....Whitfield and Tuttle, Tuttle and Honore (aka 63rd),Tuttle and south of Tallevast, Tallevast just east of us301, Honore and Lockwood Ridge, the older Palm Aire, University Park in total (w/ Country CLub)....Then there is a plethora of newer developments EAST of I75, along SR70, SR64, University Parkway......not to mention the newer stuff around SR64 north around Upper Manatee River Road, Range Road, etcLots of choices.Take your time...visit....don't buy anything for at least 6 mos, until you know what you *must* have and what you can do without.It's not Atlanta...heck, it's not Tampa either...it's Sarasota-Manatee.

Frankly, having been a very long time permanent resident HERE, I would also recommend strongly that you look closely around the vast new areas and growth aroung North Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs and areas around Estero and close to Naples (not Naples proper, it's stupid high for really no good reason, you can live exceptionally close to Naples proper without getting screwed in price)Sarasota-Manatee is NOT the only highly desirable and booming area in SW FL - not by a longshot.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:58 PM

11,755 posts, read 3,529,994 times
Legacy Estates at Esplanade in Palmer Ranch if $550k fits your budget. Its more conveniently located than Lakewood Ranch, and less traffic.

I lived in Lakewood Ranch before is was Lakewood Ranch and it took me 45 minutes to get to Siesta Key Beach, so I didnt go much. Palmer Ranch is 1/3rd the drive time to the beaches and to all the retail and restaurants along 41. Driving East-West is a pain, so you want to locate as far West as possible.

Palmer Ranch is close to the retail and other things we like, such as:
Sprouts
Trader Joe's
Publix (we'll be 1 mile from the one on Central Sarasota Pkwy)
Total Wine & More
Downtown Farmers Market
Costco
Movie Theatre at the Mall
Downtown Restaurants
Target
Lowe's
Lots of new car dealerships for servicing cars
Legacy Trail

We're from Atlanta too (Suwanee) and I'm heading down July 1st to an unfurnished Villa in Palmer Ranch we rented on a 6 month lease for $2,000/month. I'm bringing our older furnishings in a small rental truck that we'll donate when the lease ends.

Everyone we talk to, and everything we're read, says to rent 1st before buying to be certain you like the area. We're quite familiar with the area, but are still renting for 6 months to be sure. If we decide to settle there, we can extend for another 6 months, or buy a home.

If we dont decide to settle there, we'll donate all the furnishings, and try somewhere else.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:46 PM

94 posts, read 171,267 times
I would take a good look at the south Sarasota area to Osprey. It's the best and most livable area of Sarasota, imho. Some really nice neighborhoods to consider. Great shopping/dining options, close to the beach and not too far from downtown. This from a current resident of LR...not for long though!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 AM

The amenities (current and developing NOW, and future) of "south Sarasota" are dwarfed by what is currently happening in SE MANATEE county (including of course Lakewood Ranch proper).

SE MANATEE COUNTY, including massive developments in and around University PWY to SR64, offers 3 times the variety and newer variety of housing in a much more diverse price points.

Shopping ? the available and planned shopping in SE MANATEE to SR64 is far more developed and will be developed. Huge brand new Home Depot sr64, Lowes sr70, Home Depot/University just to name a few...brand new Ace on Lockwood sr70 and Ace on Lakewood Ranch BLVD/sr64

True "south Sarasota" doesn't offer the variety of restaurants, from fine dining at Saks to a multitude of casual and upscale casual. Folks in "south Sarasota" have to drive to DT Main Street SRQ to get ripped off. Even newer sports bars are brand new in SE MANATEE (Duffy's, Rusty Bucket, Paddy Wagon, Geckos (2), Burgers and Beer, LeeRoy Selmon's, etc examples only)

Supermarkets ? too numerous to mention with specificity for SE MANATEE, from 5-6 Publix clustered around upscale neighborhoods, to farmers market at Lockwood/Univ, to ALdi, to super Target, to super Walmart etc...even Dollar Trees from University and to SR64). ALso a brand new HUGE Whole Foods at University and Honore opening this summer.

Other shopping ? heck Saks Fifth Avenue MOVED from "south Sarasota" to the SE Manatee/University corridor....In SE MANATEE there are also 2 or 3 homegrown successful clothing stores by the name of Bealls.

Healthcare ? brand new hospital in LWR, and a brand new very large clinic being finished right now on SR70, just eats of I75 near Braden River. Many dental offices sprinkle the area as well. The VA clinic is on SR64. Fitness centers are also sprinkled all over (e.g. Crunch, LA Fitness)

Transportation? SE MANATEE county is closer to I75 and major state routes - US 41 in south Sarasota is an antiquated nightmare by comparison. SE MANATEE county residents can get to events in Tampa much easier....including the airport.

SE MANATEE county has far more housing options as well.....and the taxes are quite different as well.

Police/Fire ? comparable, but Manatee County Sheriff's Deputies are twice as visible in all shifts than in south Sarasota...no comparison.

Government Services? getting things approved in Sarasota County and The City of Sarasota is a nightmare compared to Manatee county . Period.

The future of the MSA in general is south and southeast Manatee County, much to the chagrin of a few of the old guard still touting Sarasota proper, and the "west of the trail crowd".

It's a new day in urban and regional planning. The world has changed around here in the last 25 years, and it's changing now at light speed, in favor of SE and S Manatee County. The bifurcation shall become even more evident.

Stating that "south Sarasota" is the "best and most livable of SARASOTA" is misleading. The FACT is that the MSA is NOT simply The City of Sarasota, or Sarasota County. That statement obviously purposefully ignores the realities on the ground of MANATEE COUNTY in total. Keep in mind, the vast majority of "Lakewood Ranch" is in fact IN MANATEE COUNTY, nor Sarasota county......lol

Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 AM

^^^ in your opinion, just like everyone else post here, in their opinion. ^^^

Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 PM

Of course it's my opinion , based on my own experience thus knowledge being a very very longtime resident of both counties.

Formulate your own opinion, then express YOURS. Gain years of experience and vocalize your own instead of stating the OBVIOUS of "in your opinion"........ just a feeble left-handed, transparent personal attack, fair enough ?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63SeaRay View Post
Of course it's my opinion , based on my own experience thus knowledge being a very very longtime resident of both counties.

Formulate your own opinion, then express YOURS. Gain years of experience and vocalize your own instead of stating the OBVIOUS of "in your opinion"........ just a feeble left-handed, transparent personal attack, fair enough ?
Too funny! Nothing feeble about it, nor was it a personal attack. I simply responded to your attempt to marginalize my brief input. I did formulate, vocalize and give my "opinion" as you suggested. It is nothing more than that, my opinion...just like yours! You seem to believe yours is the gospel though because you're a very-very longtime resident. It's not!

Old 06-12-2017, 01:50 PM

11,755 posts, read 3,529,994 times
The reason I suggested Palmer Ranch over Lakewood Ranch is proximity to beaches and the retail we prefer. Most retirees move to Coastal Florida because they like the beach (or their families do). I found myself only going to he beach once a week when I lived at State Road 70 and I-75 because of the drive time. I would go to Siesta Key (via 72) at 9 am Saturday or Sunday to beat the crowd and be sure I got a parking spot. It took me 45 minutes there, and ~1 hour home. That drive time stopped me from going more than 1x/week.

We hardly ever drove to Downtown Sarasota at night for Dinner. It was just too darned far for us. Back then, the Mercato was there and we'd go there a couple of times/month for a drink and a dance.

We also like being near some of the more unique retail over the more common chains, but we go to the common ones too. For us, Palmer Ranch is much better for our lifestyle. Sarasota schools are slightly better than Manatees (won't matter to us), and property taxes are a bit lower, & the Library's are bit nicer (both matter to us). Being closer to Sarasota Hospital could become important in the future as we age. The place we are looking to buy has very low HOA fees (<$1,500) and no CDD's.

For working families, I think Lakewoood Ranch is better due to proximity to I-75 and more folks their own age, but for retirees, I feel Palmer Ranch is better.

Its just my opinion after having lived in the Lakewood Ranch area. After I experience Palmer Ranch for the next 6 months, I'll be better equiped to speak to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area