Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:20 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times

Advertisements

Those of us who've been on C-D for awhile have seen that question a million times. This website seems to be pretty accurate, if not a bit conservative. Thought I might post it and let you all take a look and see what you think. Like it, tear it apart, whatever you like...

Isoscope - Your cruising radius
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 AM

87 posts, read 79,655 times
Hard to negotiate, site is too sensitive. Doesn't account for lots of variables here in Florida, such as emergencies, school bus stops, disastrous traffic light timing, seasonal drivers, downpours of rain, constant road construction, and other factors.

In short, it's not that helpful at all.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:17 AM

547 posts, read 926,622 times
It takes as long as it takes. Like 63 wrote, too many variables. Add in the Diverging Diamond, or getting distracted by the bling at UTC. And getting there is only part of the fun. You have to find a parking spot.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Geez...I didn't say it was miraculous.

Using my location, I found it was pretty much dead on for the places I drive to under what I consider normal conditions. So, yeah, I'm not accounting for zombie apocalypses and meteor strikes. I think they expect users to do that for themselves. OTOH, most people don't ask here for that kind of info. They want to be within x minutes of whatever and I think they are talking about under normal conditions. I'd call normal conditions to be outside those circumstances where weather, emergencies, snowbirds, etc. cause worse conditions. That's not to say they shouldn't be forewarned of those factors. It's just a tool for buyers to use.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,747 times
Thanks for posting it, B. Some people are ungrateful.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 AM

87 posts, read 79,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Geez...I didn't say it was miraculous.

Using my location, I found it was pretty much dead on for the places I drive to under what I consider normal conditions. So, yeah, I'm not accounting for zombie apocalypses and meteor strikes. I think they expect users to do that for themselves. OTOH, most people don't ask here for that kind of info. They want to be within x minutes of whatever and I think they are talking about under normal conditions. I'd call normal conditions to be outside those circumstances where weather, emergencies, snowbirds, etc. cause worse conditions. That's not to say they shouldn't be forewarned of those factors. It's just a tool for buyers to use.

Well as a salesperson of real estate feel free to recommend the site to THEM. No worries. For most very long time residents of Sarasota-Manatee, we realize that the "what ifs" and unexpected variables come in to place well over 50% of the time, thus we wouldn't find that site reliable or very useful. It might be used as a "selling tool" for a salesperson trying to act informed, but for the everyday intra-county traveler, we would know better. Most of us would just trust are own daily, weekly, seasonal experience thus knowledge. Newcomers wouldn't know any better so they might buy in to it.

Far more useful data affecting time of travel when it counts is Google's real time traffic flow "radar screens", or FHP's own data...or of course on-board traffic NAVs.

I suggest this point of view because traffic patterns, road conditions etc are changing much too quickly here in Sarasota-Manatee county practically from week to week or month to month, for a site like that to be reliably CURRENT even if they use various theoretical algorithms...which never reflect reality on the street - never.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:58 PM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
I drove from State Road 70 and I-75 (Braden Woods) to Siesta Key most weekends departing at 9 am for 3 years and it took me 45 minutes to get there via 72 Clark Road, and longer to return due to heavier volumes around 2PM. This was 20 years ago though. I suspect it would take a little longer now.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:07 PM

Just another tool on the toolbox, Shekkie. I use Google, too.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:36 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
I thought that all the Full Timers enjoyed the Africa Hot/Humid summer time for easy access to all of the empty beaches?
GL, mD

Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Funny, MD...

Anyone use Waze--the phone app? I find it helpful when we travel our TX/Fl route and have used it a few times when there have been very slow conditions on 41...
People I know in DFW who commute use it daily...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area