Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 08:53 PM

59 posts, read 56,485 times

Advertisements

My husband and I plan to retire to the Sarasota area in the next five years. Why? Fell in love with Siesta Key last year. We have a week booked in early August. What can't we miss in both Sarasota and Venice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:28 AM

18 posts, read 31,392 times
Visit the chamber's website, Visit Florida, SRQ magazine, The Ticket (particularly good for events), Sarasota Magazine.

Keep in mind the month of August is sort of dead by comparison, but you'll have the hot and miserable beach practically to yourselves

Old 06-25-2017, 01:52 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
I ain't wait'n no stink'n 5 years...I'm semi-retiring down there Friday! Yep June 30th Friday.

Siesta Key's beach never gets hot...the sand stays cool all year long due to its very high quartz content. The air gets hot in most places South of the Mason and Dixon line in August, but I do agree the humidity in Florida can be daunting day after day. Try to stay inside from Noon until after the 5PM daily shower, or go to the beach, or hang at the pool.

There's a park at the Southern tip of Lido Key (South Lido County Park) where you can be on the beach, but under large shade trees if you stay on the bay side. I never get too hot there. Bring Binoculars to view the Dolphins, Osprey, the wading birds at the hidden lake, and to watch the cool yachts go by.

There's too many "don't misses" to list. My favorites are:
South Lido County Park mentioned above (don't miss the hidden lake viewing deck)
St Armands Circle
Saturday morning Downtown Sarasota Farmers Market
The Legacy Trail for walking, biking, or rollerblading
Celery Fields for birding
Morton's Gormet Market
Anna Maria Island off Bradenton (beach at the Northwestern edge and the top 3 or 4 waterside restaurants)
Spring Training MLB games
Hanging out by any of the Inlets watching the boats pass by (with a fine hand-rolled Tampa cigar of course)
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens
Gator Club for live Blues (if it's too loud, check out the Bourbon bar upstairs)

Just a few of my don't miss places to see, and things to do. See y'all Friday!

Old 06-25-2017, 02:08 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,778 times
i can only add to the good list above
mote marine
bradenton marauder minor league team games-terrific cozy ballpark
big cat habitat
several walking trails in manatee county, especially robinson preserve
the red barn on weekends-good for bargains and just plain shopping. I understand there is a plant stand with very reasonable prices.
boat trip on the bay out of the yatch pier downtown. they have lunch and dinner cruises. a bit pricey but fun nonetheless
a bit of a ride, but Bok tower is wonderful. google it

Old 06-25-2017, 04:10 PM

287 posts, read 299,926 times
You can't miss the washer women at the Midieval fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area