U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:37 PM
LFG LFG started this thread

4 posts, read 16,711 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year old and a 2 month old and considering moving to Sarasota with my husband from NY. I'm so concerned about hurricanes. How often do they hit Sarasota. Also, what is the best area within walking distance to the best elementry school, shopping, and beaches, if this exist?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:52 PM

4,834 posts, read 13,012,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFG View Post
I have a 4 year old and a 2 month old and considering moving to Sarasota with my husband from NY. I'm so concerned about hurricanes. How often do they hit Sarasota. Also, what is the best area within walking distance to the best elementry school, shopping, and beaches, if this exist?
Not in the past few years...but hurricanes are not predictable, if you're from NY then you have to think about your own Noreastener's during the winter...same thing...as far as the best area? I'm not familiar with the elementary schools, I live downtown, a block to Sarasota Bay, shopping & 2 miles to the beach off Lido Key....southgate mall is a 10 min. drive...you just can't have everything in one place

Old 03-11-2008, 04:14 PM
LFG LFG started this thread

4 posts, read 16,711 times
I didn't think so... but it sounds like you got as close as you can get to everything. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 PM

7,484 posts, read 20,934,848 times
Default The Sarasota Area

There aren't any public schools within walking distance to the beaches that I am aware of. Out-Of-Door Academy, a private school on Siesta Key, is within walking distance to the beaches and small shopping centers. That's probably the closest you'll find. My children go to Pine View School and we love it! It was rated the #6 school in the US by US News. It houses grades 2nd-12th grades and is a public school. It would be while before your children would be old enough to attend. Pine View is close to shopping and not far from the beaches.

As far as the hurricanes go, I a Florida native and haven't been blown away yet You just never know though where they are going to hit. Take sensible precautions and you should be fine.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 03-11-2008 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,814,311 times
Hurricanes can hit anywhere in Florida so don't base your relocation on that. You need to be prepared no matter what with your supply bin (food, water, lights, candles). Sarasota schools aren't too close to the water, they are mostly inland. You can look into Anna Maria Island (Bradenton) depending on what your finances are (this is a wealthy area). Anna Maria Elementary is right across the street from the Gulf. Keep in mind you are going to pay more for a home near the water, and it does come with it's disadvantages: Further from schools, higher price and insurance, mandatory evacuations which can be a royal pain...

Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,041,668 times
you know what the insurance is like now? Right before we left, it had gone from around $800 to THOUSANDS of dollars. This is what you want? plus the chance of a hurricane? Sarasota is a great place to VISIT. Oh but if you do move there, you better be a Republican who goes to church every Sunday. And in season (October-April), don't expect to get anywhere quick! The traffic on 41 is MURDER!!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 AM

4,834 posts, read 13,012,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
you know what the insurance is like now? Right before we left, it had gone from around $800 to THOUSANDS of dollars. This is what you want? plus the chance of a hurricane? Sarasota is a great place to VISIT. Oh but if you do move there, you better be a Republican who goes to church every Sunday. And in season (October-April), don't expect to get anywhere quick! The traffic on 41 is MURDER!!!!!

Oh, c'mon nowIf you want to drive anywhere in Florida between November and May, you know what you're up against! Florida is a "vacation" spot and those of us that live here, are aware of it & plan our driving accordingly during season.

Also, anywhere that hurricanes have gone, once they've left the Sunshine state, well those areas are going to see a hike in insurance rates as well...for some reason, the 'canes just like to remind us they're available for experiencing, but once they've passed Florida, they tend to continue their travels to other destinations as well...

Old 03-13-2008, 03:17 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,542,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFG View Post
Is hurrican only your concern? I've been here close to 16 years, we had no direct hit, but came close a few times, with high winds, out of electricity and raining.
It's an old saying that Sarasota was blessed by Indians, and they hid in the area during any storms, don't know how much truth it holds.

As stated above, there are no schools in walking distance, well, if you used to walk in NY, i don't see a problem walking couple of miles or more, i don't know if you'd like to walk in this heat and high humidity.
You can walk to the beach if you live by the beach, no way around this one.
Same with shopping.
Most people who have no cars (a very few) ride bicycle to where they need to be, again, heat is an issue unless you love it hot.

Averall, you will need a car in Sarasota, i don't see otherway to get around. Buses are scheduled ones an hour, i don't believe they run on Sundays, i might be wrong.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:26 PM

321 posts, read 949,859 times
Exclamation There is something for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Oh but if you do move there, you better be a Republican who goes to church every Sunday.
Wow! Not true. There is such a thriving arts community, plenty of night life, avid outdoor enthusiasts...

Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 AM

799 posts, read 3,456,694 times
Oh but if you do move there, you better be a Republican who goes to church every Sunday.

You say that like it is a bad thing...This area has just been moved to the top of my relocation list...as soon as home sales pick up LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area