Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,955 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I are selling our house in New Hampshire and relocating to Florida. My wife and I have endured 34 new England Winters and we are DONE! I've been researching and I keep seeing Venice, Naples, and Sarasota as the 3 "top" Gulf areas. I think we both are falling in love with Siesta, Lido, and Sarasota in general. That said, I could use all the input and advice I can get.
I hope if I list our "wants" here, maybe I can get some guidance or advice on where to look for rentals? (not looking to purchase another home right now).
Must have:
- Good schools, 4yo going to PRe-K and Kindergarten and 1 yo who will be in school before we know it.
-Low crime/safe neighborhood/ community area, Budget for a rental home is around $2500/month.
- Closest proximity to the beach as possible. We are water bugs!
-Community stuff; library, kid's playgrounds, YMCA-type places for kids lessons, etc.

What neighborhoods or areas within Sarasota or Venice should we tell our rental realtors to focus on?
Any and all info is MUCH appreciated.

Pete in Bedford, NH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 09:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Sarasota - south of downtown - anywhere from Paver Park down to Gulf Gate and even below. Most of these places put you within 12 minutes or less of the beach and/or bay.

Seems a shame to waste all that money on rent...not a lot of properties for year-round rental.

Others can chime in on Venice, etc.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:21 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Yeah, how long do you want to rent? For that money you can get a decent house in those areas. Most rentals are seasonal, as these are very much retirement areas.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:53 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
There are annual rentals in that price range, your agent can help you but I would also suggest looking on the obvious rental property sites as well, as a lot of landlords post their listings directly on those sites.

Since you want to be closer to the Sarasota beaches, I would suggest trying in the Gulf Gate area (34231), such as Gulf Gate, Gulf Gate East, Gulf Gate Woods. Palmer Ranch would be another suggestion, but rents do tend to be higher there. A really nice YMCA is located by Palmer Ranch, near the mall. That area would put you fairly close to the south bridge to Siesta Key but also near Nokomis Beach, which doesn't have the white sand of Siesta Key but has good amenities and is often less crowded.

South Gate, which is located more central, would put you fairly close to the northern bridge to Siesta Key. The South Gate area (zip codes 34239 & 34231) has a number of small neighborhoods that all blend together. Arlington Park has great recreational facilities, very popular local park. Some of the neighborhood names include Hyde Park, Loma Linda, Grove Lawn, Battle & Turner, Cottages in the Pines, South Gate. Slightly east of there is Forest Lakes Country Club (not a country club community).

You might also want to consider the Osprey - Nokomis area, which is just south of Sarasota & north of Venice.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:36 PM

47 posts, read 52,380 times
Im in similar shoes with a slightly lower budget. We move down in a month from the Chicago burbs. We chose Gulf Gate do to its proximity to basically everything while still having good schools. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,955 times
This is great info and much appreciated, I'm going to be working with a real estate agent and property rental people to try to find a place in those areas. I'm getting out of a money pit right now and I just don't want to rush into a mortgage again.... so we plan to rent for a couple of years and then decide where to purchase our next house.

Does Osprey /Nokomis have a different School District than Sarasota?

Old 06-26-2017, 06:30 PM

407 posts, read 828,469 times
School districts in the state of Florida are ran by the county school board. Therefore, Sarasota county schools stretches as far north as Sarasota and as far south as North Port (Venice, Nokomis, Osprey are included). Sarasota is one of the better school districts in the state. In my opinion, if you're looking for something more family centered, I would look little more north. Venice is a huge retirement town.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 20,661 times
A good realtor should be able to help you drill down into a neighborhood that has what you're looking for.

A word of caution - the largest influx of baby boomers in the country are found from Manatee County (Parrish/Bradenton) to North Port (as per the chamber of commerce). We're looking to get out of Manatee; my husband is retired and even he feels like there are too many old people here.

If you prefer a very active, family friendly city I'd look north to Tampa Bay. The job market is great, too. Fort Desoto park/beaches, found in Pinellas county/St. Petersburg, have been ranked the best in the country.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I hate to sound like a broken record but make sure you already have a good job lined up or someone in your family does.

People from the NE that have good paying, skilled jobs making $20-$40 an hour move down here and find these same jobs only pay $8 an hour here. They run through all their savings and end up moving back way in the hole financially.

Not saying that it you but just want to put that out there.

You should live near where your work will be.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record but make sure you already have a good job lined up or someone in your family does.

People from the NE that have good paying, skilled jobs making $20-$40 an hour move down here and find these same jobs only pay $8 an hour here. They run through all their savings and end up moving back way in the hole financially.

Not saying that it you but just want to put that out there.

You should live near where your work will be.

Good luck!
^^^ Exactly and add in heat & humidity. We are having a very early hot summer right now, if you think winters are difficult, you have no idea what it feels like to be hot & "not on vacation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area