Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:04 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I value all opinions and perspectives so long as they are substantiated to some degree. I do not respect the perspective of anyone that just drops turds without ever providing details, facts, explanations.

Regarding your claim that you don't have the time to snoop around reading anyone else's posts….what a crock. There are more posts in this one thread than he has posted. It's actually a very useful forum feature. You click on a profile and select "Find all posts by…".

So why would this be a useful forum feature and not considered snooping? It allows people to weigh the credibility or perspective of someone offering advice or making a statement about a place. If you look at someone's past posts and see they are fairly even-keeled then that person's opinion should probably be given more weight than the opinion of someone who hasn't written a single positive post…in two cities. Of course, there are also those who never acknowledge a single fault with an area. That also tells you something. Clever huh? You're welcome.

Looking at all posts made by a CD member doesn't seem like a big deal to me, although I can't think I'd have the inclination to do it, especially if it's pages and pages long. What's got me scratching my head is the idea of doing paid background checks on neighbors and casual acquaintances, just because "you never know." I could see background checks if they will be handling one's finances, babysitting or other care of one's loved ones, or if they have access to one's personal property, but just because they're there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 06:27 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
blueherons - I am curious as to what field you and your husband are in to get high paying jobs here - all I can think of is the medical or legal profession

Old 08-26-2017, 08:16 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Looking at all posts made by a CD member doesn't seem like a big deal to me, although I can't think I'd have the inclination to do it, especially if it's pages and pages long. What's got me scratching my head is the idea of doing paid background checks on neighbors and casual acquaintances, just because "you never know." I could see background checks if they will be handling one's finances, babysitting or other care of one's loved ones, or if they have access to one's personal property, but just because they're there?

The only one paranoid to do background checks on people they barely know would be.............Shekie.

I'm surprised you didn't notice that droning writing style, new member status and multiple boring posts in a row.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:22 PM

44 posts, read 44,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ;49320857[B
]I value all opinions and perspectives so long as they are substantiated to some degree.[/b] I do not respect the perspective of anyone that just drops turds without ever providing details, facts, explanations.

The highlighted statement reflects a high level of ignorance. "Opinions" never need to be "substantiated" on the internet, are you crazy? Opinions need not provide "facts" either. What graduate school did you attend? "opinions" need not provide "details" either! are you nuts? This is the internet, not a thesis that requires footnotes and a bibliography. Nobody cares what you VALUE. Get it ?

Old 08-26-2017, 10:24 PM

128 posts, read 166,981 times
I liked jan's reply and especially the parts about doing background checks. That was funny but true too. My guess is that if you checked somebody like gypsy chic; her rap sheet is as long as Fruitville Road. Basically anybody that screams "troll" and "turd dumper" in every reply is up to something.

About the write up. Can I get a show of hands for people that want the OP to just type it all over again? We need a re-do. For God's sake we need a re do.

Can we get a down to earth no fluff version? Not all this champaign and caviar dreams on Longboat Key. Not that there is anything wrong with that. And no more glamorizing these cracker jack mediocre bars. The OP does not know any better yet. We just need a more realistic frame work.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 PM

128 posts, read 166,981 times
Quote:
There are a lot of people who view these forums, sometimes for years after we have moved on. Most of the people reading these posts are not even registered posters, just people who conducted a search on Google. I think it's important to challenge the people who merely dump on a place without ever providing a single example or substantiating fact. I consider it a service to the many anonymous people in Internet land who will stumble across this thread for years to come.

There is one point I apparently am not articulating myself very well on. It is not the fact that I disagree with his comments. Disagreements are common here. It is the fact he posted something provably false. He said there are no good paying jobs in Sarasota. That's not an opinion. That's not a perspective. That's a lie. It's absurd for what should be obvious reasons.
Caraway, lets try not to control other people and the content of the internet anymore, mmmkay? As for sorry. Go downtown Sarasota next to Whole Foods is a bus station where homeless folks congregate. Go spend a day with those people and that will give you a better perspective. Every thing about jobs and lies and opinions will mean nothing anymore. Not next to that bus station.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:30 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalaspa View Post
Caraway, lets try not to control other people and the content of the internet anymore, mmmkay? As for sorry. Go downtown Sarasota next to Whole Foods is a bus station where homeless folks congregate. Go spend a day with those people and that will give you a better perspective. Every thing about jobs and lies and opinions will mean nothing anymore. Not next to that bus station.
What do the homeless people have to do with this topic? You can't be that naive. Do you think the presence of homeless people proves that a city has no good paying jobs or job opportunities? Every city in the world has homeless people. Even countries with great social safety nets, free higher education, free jobs training, and great economies have homeless. Some of the most economically booming cities in the US (e.g. Seattle) have enormous homeless populations. The homeless problem is complex and without a simple answer.

Last edited by CarawayDJ; 08-27-2017 at 03:08 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan meyer View Post
The highlighted statement reflects a high level of ignorance. "Opinions" never need to be "substantiated" on the internet, are you crazy? Opinions need not provide "facts" either. What graduate school did you attend? "opinions" need not provide "details" either! are you nuts? This is the internet, not a thesis that requires footnotes and a bibliography. Nobody cares what you VALUE. Get it ?
So Mr. Background checker likes to play semantics. Kudos. Let me soothe your mind. People make assertions here. People make statements about a place that they present as factual and expect you to believe.

And then others simply drop turds...

Old 08-27-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Rest assured I don't spend time going through pages and pages of posts. Looking at a page or two is enough to get where someone is coming from….or in some cases confirm they come from another reality. I only bother doing this when people make assertions outside of the main. For example, I was curious to know if sorrysota had anything positive to say about anything anywhere. He didn't.

Yeah, conducting background checks on neighbors creeps me out a bit.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:23 AM

44 posts, read 44,756 times
Quote:
Rest assured I don't spend time going through pages and pages of posts. Looking at a page or two is enough to get where someone is coming from….or in some cases confirm they come from another reality. I only bother doing this when people make assertions outside of the main. For example, I was curious to know if sorrysota had anything positive to say about anything anywhere. He didn't.

Yeah, conducting background checks on neighbors creeps me out a bit.

Well, let me share something with you...fair enough? IF YOU HAD DONE a few background checks on some of these people, yes, neighbors, co-workers, etc then you wouldn't be "creeped out" because you would know all about the numerous, downright bogus and sometimes criminal or very very shady people of which I speak. Doing background checks for me, at this juncture in Sara-Mana is, and has been an essential resource to determine who is who and what I'm really dealing with. Believe me, I have uncovered lots and lots of dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area