Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:46 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times

Advertisements

I consider myself somewhat of a Republican these days and I lived in San Francisco. It didn't bother me because politics aren't my life, therefore I don't need to talk about it to random people.

If you want to be around other Liberals, move around Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Florida in general is not a Conservative state nor a Liberal state... it's quite 50/50, which is what I like as I sometimes vote for Democrats and sometimes vote for Republicans, i just find Democrats so extreme and crazy these days, I now call myself a Republican. I do find it funny, you support Sanders, yet you want to move to Florida because there is no state income tax lol. I'd think you'd want somewhere like California where Bernie's policies are most similar.

However, Southeast Florida is the capital for liberalism in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 05:56 PM

628 posts, read 1,315,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icaru View Post
Where would you choose to live in FL, if you were 75, fit, healthy and politically (very?) liberal (and moving from Europe) ?

For various reasons, we have to return to the US and choose somewhere to put down roots in FL (like no state taxes, close to Eastern seaboard, home prices, no winter weather, etc).
Sounds like Gainesville might be the city for you. Population around 100,000. It is among if not the most liberal town in Florida. It is consistently ranked as the most educated town in the state. Housing costs are reasonable by Florida standards. The University of Florida is the premier educational institution in the state; it brings much in the way of diversity as well as the "vibe" associated with large state universities. Shands/UF hospital is among the best in the country. Miles of hiking/biking trails and natural springs. It is located 1 hour from both the Atlantic ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. Check it out.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:39 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,149 times
The West Coast of Florida is less crowded, cleaner and more beautiful than the East Coast - it is also filled with conservative Mid-Westerners - all I saw were Trump signs and bumper stickers in the last election - I think the liberals are more in the cities - try Miami

Old 09-01-2017, 10:46 AM

27 posts, read 31,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenkellywriter View Post
So you don't want to pay state taxes but you voted for Bernie Sanders? lol
Didn't vote for Bernie because a) I don't live in the US yet and b) although I agree with a lot of things he says, I didn't and still don't think he had any real chance to win the election and I don't agree with all his politics. Mine was a question intended to solicit answers where I might find more liberal minded people.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:42 PM

378 posts, read 628,803 times
In Florida, I have learned to keep my political opinions close to the vest. It is a open carry State, after all, and there is always a chance someone will shoot at what they don't agree with.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
In Florida, I have learned to keep my political opinions close to the vest. It is a open carry State, after all, and there is always a chance someone will shoot at what they don't agree with.
One thing for sure - door to door sales in Florida is a job without much of a future.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
I should mention that one saturday - I guess it was late January, we were headed DT in Sarasota for the Farmers Market and saw LOTS of people headed somewhere. We followed and it turned out if was a rally in support of the Womens March on DC the same weekend. Well over 10,000 people were there and they marched along the waterfront and over one bridge and back. Cars were honking in agreement.

No one was "protesting the protest" or driving cars into them, etc.

I have also ran into other smaller protests in SRQ (Sarasota code name - airport) - including pro-choice and MLK day stuff. All of it was the same - no counter protesters and cars honking and thumbs up.

I guess that would somewhat classify it as at least "tolerant" - and, hey, we have Trader Joes and Whole Foods...that should count for something...

So, in summary, although "native" Sarasota voted big for Trump, it's actually a purple area. The true long term natives who would be politically active would lean conservative simply because they are anti-environmental and believe in the "right" to make millions by developing every swamp....

I'm as liberal as they come (legalize it and cut the military and universal health care and reproductive rights, etc. etc.) and I feel comfortable there. Then again, I don't have bumper stickers.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
I'm in Sarasota county. I had a Bernie sticker on my car and never felt strange with it. There are quite a few closet liberals here and a decent number of out-in-the-open liberals.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:23 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Quote:
Florida is not an open carry state unless you are engaged in fishing, hunting, that sort of thing, IIRC. There is a move to make open carry legal but I haven't read anything that indicates it is likely to become law.

Last edited by bbronston; 09-02-2017 at 06:31 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 11:56 AM

461 posts, read 554,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I consider myself somewhat of a Republican these days and I lived in San Francisco. It didn't bother me because politics aren't my life, therefore I don't need to talk about it to random people.

If you want to be around other Liberals, move around Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Florida in general is not a Conservative state nor a Liberal state... it's quite 50/50, which is what I like as I sometimes vote for Democrats and sometimes vote for Republicans, i just find Democrats so extreme and crazy these days, I now call myself a Republican. I do find it funny, you support Sanders, yet you want to move to Florida because there is no state income tax lol. I'd think you'd want somewhere like California where Bernie's policies are most similar.

However, Southeast Florida is the capital for liberalism in Florida.
Ya moderate garbage.. nobody picks a side so therefore it reflects it. Nobody cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area