Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM

37 posts, read 44,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaru View Post
Where would you choose to live in FL, if you were 75, fit, healthy and politically (very?) liberal (and moving from Europe) ?
Gainesville would be a good fit. They'd welcome you with open arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
In Florida, I have learned to keep my political opinions close to the vest. It is a open carry State, after all, and there is always a chance someone will shoot at what they don't agree with.
Funny. What part of Gainesville do you live in?

BTW...Florida is not an "open carry" state.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I get so tired of the idea that only liberal's think they are better than everyone else. That is such bunk. Although I am an liberal, I have friends that are both liberal and conservative. By far, more of my conservative friends live in gated communities and send their kids to private schools. When I talk with them about it, essentially they feel their beliefs are better than others and don't want to associate with others that have different beliefs.

And the idea that only liberals are for bigger government is a fallacy. For example, in the past few days Gov. Scott is now requiring nursing homes and assisted living facilities to have generators and 3 days of fuel. Of course these new regulations will require more government oversight for compliance. Regardless of the tragic reason behind the new regulation, no one would accuse Rick Scott of being a liberal.

Until the past couple of decades liberals had a very strong presence in both major parties.

It was a liberal idea to end slavery.
It was a liberal idea for women's right to vote.
It was a liberal idea for the Pure Food and Drug Act.
It was a liberal idea for restrictions on child labor.
At least partial hogwash.

Look at Congressional vote tallies for the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Only a handful of Southern democrats voted for it ( Rep Claude Pepper of Florida being one). Look up names like Byrd, Wallace, Maddox, et al. Defense rests.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:35 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpestJim View Post
At least partial hogwash.

Look at Congressional vote tallies for the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Only a handful of Southern democrats voted for it ( Rep Claude Pepper of Florida being one). Look up names like Byrd, Wallace, Maddox, et al. Defense rests.
I mentioned nothing of Republicans and Democrats. There used to be a time in this country when there were liberals and conservatives in both political parties. Lincoln was a liberal Republican. Wilson was a conservative Democrat. In fact, as late as the 1960's there was a sizable liberal wing in the Republican party called the Rockefeller Republicans. It is only been in the last generation or so the Republican party has purged all liberal thought. Consequently, but not to the same extreme, the Democratic party is decidedly less conservative than before. So it is easy to confuse equating current conservatives with Republicans and current liberals with Democrats, it wasn't always this way.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Consequently, but not to the same extreme, the Democratic party is decidedly less conservative than before. So it is easy to confuse equating current conservatives with Republicans and current liberals with Democrats, it wasn't always this way.
I'd say that Republicans have become VASTLY more conservative in terms of their "talk" - certainly not in their actions. But they decided at some point to cater to the evangelicals and other fundamentalists...and also so-called "libertarians"...

Democrats - by their very nature - are "progressive" so it would be very wrong for them to become more conservative. If you read the basics of T. Roosevelt (A republican, but kicked out for being a liberal and progressive and fair minded)....and figure we are 100+ years later...it certainly doesn't seem like we are moving too fast.

"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad. "

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life"

"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."

"Our aim is not to do away with corporations; on the contrary, these big aggregations are an inevitable development of modern industrialism. ... We are not hostile to them; we are merely determined that they shall be so handled as to subserve the public good. We draw the line against misconduct, not against wealth."

----end TR Quotes......

I have met many a New England Republican. You are 100% correct - they basically disappeared from the scene once it became clear that the word "compromise" was a dirty word. Some changed to independents or democrats, most just faded away (the ones who held office).

But we still have some around.
Partisans should think about this - the #1 State in the USA (in most civilized rankings of health care, life span, education, income, etc.) is solid Blue yet we have a GOP Gov. (Charlie Baker)...who agrees with Trump on virtually nothing. We also elected Romney, Scott Brown and many many other "New England Republicans".

But there is no way we would ever touch an anti-science or anti-reason type. Won't happen.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:15 PM

27 posts, read 31,153 times
Craigirl -- I couldn't agree more. Say it like it is!

Old 09-20-2017, 05:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
And liberals have become so liberal that they hate anyone who doesn't agree with them. They perpetrate acts of violence against those they don't agree with. They shut down events in the name of free speech, all in the name of "accepting those who are different."

Politics is lunacy. I am apolitical. But to pretend conservatives are horrific and pandering to fundamentals (??) and liberals are angelic and want the best for everyone (they don't, only other liberals who agree with them) is at best naive and at worst appallingly hypocritical. Anti-science and anti-reason? Plenty of that in the liberal camp. Starting with the choose your own sex nonsense.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:50 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And liberals have become so liberal that they hate anyone who doesn't agree with them. They perpetrate acts of violence against those they don't agree with. They shut down events in the name of free speech, all in the name of "accepting those who are different."

Politics is lunacy. I am apolitical. But to pretend conservatives are horrific and pandering to fundamentals (??) and liberals are angelic and want the best for everyone (they don't, only other liberals who agree with them) is at best naive and at worst appallingly hypocritical. Anti-science and anti-reason? Plenty of that in the liberal camp. Starting with the choose your own sex nonsense.
Truth ^^^!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:30 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Truth ^^^!
What I found really stunning were the events at Evergreen College this summer.

A black trangender lead a revolt where the president of the college was taken hostage. HOSTAGE. They would not let him go to the bathroom by himself. Students occupied the administration building. They walked around campus with bats to intimidate those who did not agree with them. They threatened professors. They took a "if you are not with us you are against us" attitude.

All this is on video. Check youtube. It's all there. They videoed the whole thing.

And why did they do this? What caused this uproar?

Because a professor sent an email objecting to being told he had to leave campus because he was white.

Let that sink in.

And NOT ONE of the students were charged with a crime.

It's mind boggling.

Can you imagine if it were a bunch of skinheads, who ordered all black students off campus? And then staged a revolt, taking hostages --the PRESIDENT OF THE COLLEGE -- because a professor sent an EMAIL that he felt it was an inappropriate request to single out a certain race to leave campus???

But since liberals did it, well, it's OK, it's for tolerance and acceptance, and ... and ... free speech. And that race needs to LEAVE because diversity and stuff.

I can only shake my head. Anti-reason indeed.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This Liberal lives in MA - pays the high taxes (happily) and also owns property in Florida - where he also pays nice taxes (property) as well as insurance (helping subsidize those rich people on barrier islands), etc.

Since "we liberals" have the scratch, we can move wherever we want. We can even own multiple houses. We can also feel at home if we like.

BTW, MA. falls right in the middle in terms of total state taxation (same as MS, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc.) - and for that price we have like 98% covered by health care and much more. It's a pretty good deal and one reason I'd never move to Florida. They (the medical and elderly predatory industry there) will KILL you AND charge you a lot for doing so.

No way in this lifetime I would put myself in the hands of those money grubbers down there. That would be a death sentence.

Florida is somewhat OK to visit for the winter, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too dang hot...the savings on taxes ain't worth living indoors.

Trust me, old Bernie owns quite a few houses, most recently a $750,000 lake house. Bought off by Hillary, much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area