Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 PM

913 posts, read 2,357,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And liberals have become so liberal that they hate anyone who doesn't agree with them. They perpetrate acts of violence against those they don't agree with. They shut down events in the name of free speech, all in the name of "accepting those who are different."

Politics is lunacy. I am apolitical. But to pretend conservatives are horrific and pandering to fundamentals (??) and liberals are angelic and want the best for everyone (they don't, only other liberals who agree with them) is at best naive and at worst appallingly hypocritical. Anti-science and anti-reason? Plenty of that in the liberal camp. Starting with the choose your own sex nonsense.
I'm not sure how you concluded this from the above posts. As I said, I have friends that are both conservative and liberal, and most certainly do not hate anyone. In fact, I know of no one that hates anyone else, conservative or liberal. I also have never acted in a violent manner to anyone, nor do I know anyone that has done so. And I never said conservatives are horrific or liberals are angelic. You make accusations and assumptions that contradict my personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,902,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I'm not sure how you concluded this from the above posts. As I said, I have friends that are both conservative and liberal, and most certainly do not hate anyone. In fact, I know of no one that hates anyone else, conservative or liberal. I also have never acted in a violent manner to anyone, nor do I know anyone that has done so. And I never said conservatives are horrific or liberals are angelic. You make accusations and assumptions that contradict my personal experience.
I was referring to a comment that liberals would never be anti-reason or anti-science. There are plenty of examples that they are.

As far as violence is concerned, these are generalities of course, taken from examples of news stories and video footage of recent events, where liberals in fact have been extremely violent, beating people up in the street, chasing people with bats, holding people hostage, and I saw one video where a girl set another girl's hair ON FIRE at a protest.

If you check youtube, you can see these examples for yourself. They exist, and there are many of them. Tolerant people do not beat up others for differing viewpoints. Tolerant and accepting people do not swarm and shut down events in the name of free speech. This has happened numerous times in the past 6-8 months.

I have no idea who YOU are or what YOU do. You should not take offense, unless you are acting in this manner, which you say you are not. And if violence offends you, you should be offended at the acts of other liberals.

Political affiliation does not make violence acceptable.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:53 AM

Just in case anyone was wondering what happened to Prof Weinsten at Evergreen College, the lawsuit was settled by the college for $500K. FYI, this professor is a liberal at a liberal college, who became the scapegoat because he felt that ordering a certain race to leave campus was ... racist. Protesters disagreed, mayhem, violence, threats, hostages ensued. Makes your head spin. No students were charged with any crimes.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/36839/

"Weinstein was cornered in May in a campus building and blocked from leaving by rowdy student protesters furious he did not support the Day of Absence, videos of the incident show. Nor does it mention how Evergreen’s then-chief of police subsequently told Weinstein his safety on campus could not be guaranteed, and that it appeared student agitators were looking for him, forcing Weinstein to hold his class in a park.

According to the tort claim, at a campus meeting to address the racial unrest, Weinstein was also scared for his personal safety, that the meeting “became heated and threatening at times. There was only one exit, and it was completely blocked by protesters.” Campus officials had also instructed university police to attend the meeting unarmed, according to the claim.

“Meanwhile, protest organizers announced that chairs and food in the room were for ‘people of color only.’ When they noticed there were sufficient chairs, organizers announced that white people had to sit in the back of the
room. Administrators, including President Bridges, did nothing to prevent this,” the claim added."

IMO: The college settled because they would have been crucified in court since the students were filming and posting everything on youtube. Can't argue with video of what you did.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:25 PM

19 posts, read 33,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This Liberal lives in MA - pays the high taxes (happily) and also owns property in Florida - where he also pays nice taxes (property) as well as insurance (helping subsidize those rich people on barrier islands), etc.

Since "we liberals" have the scratch, we can move wherever we want. We can even own multiple houses. We can also feel at home if we like.
BTW, MA. falls right in the middle in terms of total state taxation (same as MS, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc.) - and for that price we have like 98% covered by health care and much more. It's a pretty good deal and one reason I'd never move to Florida. They (the medical and elderly predatory industry there) will KILL you AND charge you a lot for doing so.
No way in this lifetime I would put myself in the hands of those money grubbers down there. That would be a death sentence.
Florida is somewhat OK to visit for the winter, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too dang hot...the savings on taxes ain't worth living indoors.

Well, just proves that if you give a lib a soapbox, they will jump right up on it and let the world know just who they really are; as usual it's not very pretty. With your elitist, condescending and snobbish attitude, we are only too happy to learn that you will never grace our humble state with your presence as a full time resident. Seeing that you, "as a liberal" have the "scratch" to own multiple homes and can afford to live wherever you want (real class statement there) and as well can make yourself comfortable anywhere (maybe, but you no doubt make a lot of other people very uncomfortable) please just stay where you are. Oh, and the OP guy should do the USA a favor and just stay in Europe. I was born and raised in NYC, spent my life in NY (as a conservative) in an area dealing with people like you spending time in my fair town as tourists. Believe me, people like you were not liked there and Florida certainly doesn't need or want people with your attitude here either (even as a seasonal tourist). Florida has a lot to offer and has always been very gracious and welcoming since I started spending time here 15 years ago. Folks like you however really should just stay where you are and leave the rest of us, who find life here just fine, in peace. Bringing your personal politics into every aspect of life such as discussions like this is just plain dumb. Maybe some day you might actually learn this, stop making a fool of yourself and also stop giving the rest of us from up north a bad name.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:10 AM

25,468 posts, read 12,580,588 times
Massachusetts is a path to bankruptcy due, in part, to its government provided healthcare system:

$26.73 billion in total debt.
$190.83 billion in in unfunded liabilities and other retirement benefits.
$342 in deficit per capita.

Many of the cities, states, and US territories that have been predominatly run by Democrats for years are on the same path (if they have not already filed), such as: NY, NJ, CA, IL, CT, Detroit, Stockton, Puerto Rico.

There are also a few states & cities run by Republicans that are bankrupt, or on a path to insolvency, but its a small portion as compared to the Dems, and those states/cities have much smaller economic impacts.

Democrats are more efficient at spending other peoples money than Republicans, but Republicans are closing the gap.

Only Conservatives and Liberterians really want to stop the over-spending of Democrats and Republicans, but they are too badly outnumbered in Washington DC to gain any traction. They are like the Red-hot melting brakes on a runaway freight train.

It's more fun to spend money than it is to save it. I keep reading that ~40% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, yet America is one of the richest nations. That means the wealth gap is real. I also read that tax revenues into the US Government coffers are at an all time high, but the politicians keep spending it all...and more! Seems to me we don't have a tax revenue problem, but a spending problem....by Democrats AND Republicans in; cities, counties, states, and nationally.

If we American citizens (of all political ilks) don't stop bickering with each other, and figure out how to force politicians to only spend what we pay to them in taxes, we'll all end up like the starving people of Venezuela.

For the record...I do agree with some of what Bernie Sanders' says.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
I was referring to a comment that liberals would never be anti-reason or anti-science. There are plenty of examples that they are.

As far as violence is concerned, these are generalities of course, taken from examples of news stories and video footage of recent events, where liberals in fact have been extremely violent, beating people up in the street, chasing people with bats, holding people hostage, and I saw one video where a girl set another girl's hair ON FIRE at a protest.

If you check youtube, you can see these examples for yourself. They exist, and there are many of them. Tolerant people do not beat up others for differing viewpoints. Tolerant and accepting people do not swarm and shut down events in the name of free speech. This has happened numerous times in the past 6-8 months.

I have no idea who YOU are or what YOU do. You should not take offense, unless you are acting in this manner, which you say you are not. And if violence offends you, you should be offended at the acts of other liberals.

Political affiliation does not make violence acceptable.
Why would anyone be "anti-science"? What does that mean? You don't believe in gravity? You don't believe water freezes at 32 degrees F ?

And as far as basing your beliefs "generalities" ..... "taken from examples of news stories and video footage of recent events", that COULD be a slippery slope. If you only search out news that supports your beliefs, then you will live your life in an echo chamber that only reaffirms your beliefs. I'm not saying that is you, but I do have alot of friends and relatives that this would include. It is truly a fragile belief system that cannot withstand contrary opinions and facts.

As far as tolerance, I agree. Tolerant people should not be violent towards people with differing opinions. In my personal experience, this would include many more conservatives than liberals. In fact, it would appear the recent right wing violence ( Timothy McVeigh, Dylann Roof, James Harris Jackson, James Alex Fields, Jr. and Robert Dear immediately come to mind), is far greater than left wing violence.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 AM

37 posts, read 43,912 times
Quote:
Why would anyone be "anti-science"? What does that mean? You don't believe in gravity? You don't believe water freezes at 32 degrees F ?

And as far as basing your beliefs "generalities" ..... "taken from examples of news stories and video footage of recent events", that COULD be a slippery slope. If you only search out news that supports your beliefs, then you will live your life in an echo chamber that only reaffirms your beliefs. I'm not saying that is you, but I do have alot of friends and relatives that this would include. It is truly a fragile belief system that cannot withstand contrary opinions and facts.

As far as tolerance, I agree. Tolerant people should not be violent towards people with differing opinions. In my personal experience, this would include many more conservatives than liberals. In fact, it would appear the recent right wing violence ( Timothy McVeigh, Dylann Roof, James Harris Jackson, James Alex Fields, Jr. and Robert Dear immediately come to mind), is far greater than left wing violence.
Any attempt to associate Timothy McVeigh with conservatives in general and the GOP in particular in unfair, at best. He had about as much in common with the Tea Party as as Lester Maddox had with the Southern Poverty Law Center. Both democrats.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Defining one's biology (male or female, there is no other) by how one "feels" is anti-science, and perhaps the most basic form of anti-science there is. And is a 100% liberal viewpoint.

Watch any footage of any of the political protests over the last year, and you will see who is supporting, condoning, and participating in violence.

Protests are being SHUT down and speakers CANCELLED because of threats of violence ... from liberal protesters and groups. Speakers at colleges are not even permitted to speak anymore. Why? Threats of violence by liberal protestors. People area being beat up, sprayed with gas, hair set on fire. Footage of people being chased and thrown to the ground, being surrounded by liberal protesters and then kicked.

This is not a search and ye shall find scenario. It's simply what is happening.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Protests are being SHUT down and speakers CANCELLED because of threats of violence ... from liberal protesters and groups. Speakers at colleges are not even permitted to speak anymore. Why? Threats of violence by liberal protestors. People area being beat up, sprayed with gas, hair set on fire. Footage of people being chased and thrown to the ground, being surrounded by liberal protesters and then kicked.

This is not a search and ye shall find scenario. It's simply what is happening.
I don't disagree there have been threats of violence by the left wing, as well as the right wing. But that is a far cry from the actual violence of the right wing. The above people I listed did more than threaten - they killed in the name of their beliefs. The beliefs of the right wing. The thought that threats by the left wing and murder by the right wing is somehow equal is ludicrous.

I will grant you that 50 years ago there was much more left wing violence than right wing, but that day has long past. Over the past 30 years the increase in right wing violence, including murder, has increase exponentially.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpestJim View Post
Any attempt to associate Timothy McVeigh with conservatives in general and the GOP in particular in unfair, at best. He had about as much in common with the Tea Party as as Lester Maddox had with the Southern Poverty Law Center. Both democrats.
McVeigh was motivated to murder people as revenge for the federal governments handing of Waco and Ruby Ridge. He hoped to inspire a revolution against the federal government.

Remember that Ruby Ridge began when the FBI attempted to take Randal Weaver, a right wing white separatist, into custody for missing a court appearance.

McVeigh also felt the FBI siege on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco was overreach by the federal government. McVeigh was also an intense believer in gun rights and even traveled to Waco during the siege to support the Branch Davidians. While in the military McVeigh wore a "white power" shirt that he purchased at a KKK rally. He also frequently complained about taxes and federal government mismanagement and predicted a civil war. These are common right wing beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area