Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:48 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times

Advertisements

My comments are specific to this thread and what has been happening politically during the last few years.

If you want to discuss violence as an ongoing issue, I suggest you start another thread as that is a completely different topic.

Today's violence is stemming from liberals. There is no dispute to that fact. After the election, all the protests smashing windows, blocking bridges, destroying property, setting fires, were performed by liberals. People wearing clothing with slogans supporting the president are being attacked and beat up by liberals. People who are shutting down speakers and protests -- in the name of free speech, btw -- are liberals. Heck the women's march refused to allow women's groups that supported a different viewpoint to march. Shut down free speech and instigate violence. All being done by liberals.

Those are facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 03:12 PM

And there's this.

A college student who stole a classmate’s ‘Make America Great Again’ hat and demanded its wearer be punished could face felony charges in the incident. University of California, Riverside student Edith Macias grabbed the hat off of Matthew Vitale’s head on September 27, documenting the incident in a profanity-laced video.

Initially, Vitale said he hadn’t planned to press charges against Macias, but that changed when a campus police officer told him her own bizarre video could be evidence of a felony, since it shows her taking the hat directly off of his person.

California law defines second-degree felony robbery as ‘taking of personal property in the possession of another, from his person or immediate presence, and against his will, accomplished by means of force or fear.’ Penalties range from probation to five years in prison.

‘I very strongly believe that if she had been wearing a Malcom X cap or a pro-abortion cap, and I had snatched it off her head and ran down to student life and turned her in and demanded that she be kept from wearing that hat, I very firmly believe that I would be sitting in jail right now,’ Vitale said in another interview, with the Larry Elder Show.

Following the incident, comrades of Macias posted a petition demanding that the university pay Macias' rent, grant her amnesty from legal or disciplinary action, cover her legal fees, condemn 'white supremacist violence', and support a 'sanctuary campus'.

University officials have been vague in their public statements about the incident, speaking of a need to balance respect with free speech.
###

Here's the story:
UC Riverside student who stole MAGA hat could be charged | Daily Mail Online

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=c4GqU6KzLm4

Here's the petition:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...cVLpw/viewform

She STOLE PROPERTY. Why? Because she didn't like it. And now is demanding that the university pay her rent and legal fees. You can make this stuff UP. It's lunatic liberal madness.

Last edited by newtovenice; 10-08-2017 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 10:21 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And there's this.

A college student who stole a classmate’s ‘Make America Great Again’ hat and demanded its wearer be punished could face felony charges in the incident. University of California, Riverside student Edith Macias grabbed the hat off of Matthew Vitale’s head on September 27, documenting the incident in a profanity-laced video.

Initially, Vitale said he hadn’t planned to press charges against Macias, but that changed when a campus police officer told him her own bizarre video could be evidence of a felony, since it shows her taking the hat directly off of his person.

California law defines second-degree felony robbery as ‘taking of personal property in the possession of another, from his person or immediate presence, and against his will, accomplished by means of force or fear.’ Penalties range from probation to five years in prison.

‘I very strongly believe that if she had been wearing a Malcom X cap or a pro-abortion cap, and I had snatched it off her head and ran down to student life and turned her in and demanded that she be kept from wearing that hat, I very firmly believe that I would be sitting in jail right now,’ Vitale said in another interview, with the Larry Elder Show.

Following the incident, comrades of Macias posted a petition demanding that the university pay Macias' rent, grant her amnesty from legal or disciplinary action, cover her legal fees, condemn 'white supremacist violence', and support a 'sanctuary campus'.

University officials have been vague in their public statements about the incident, speaking of a need to balance respect with free speech.
###

Here's the story:
UC Riverside student who stole MAGA hat could be charged | Daily Mail Online

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=c4GqU6KzLm4

Here's the petition:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...cVLpw/viewform

She STOLE PROPERTY. Why? Because she didn't like it. And now is demanding that the university pay her rent and legal fees. You can make this stuff UP. It's lunatic liberal madness.
For someone whose first post on this thread described themselves as apolitical all of your follow up threads have been just the opposite. Come clean. You are a conservative. It is not a sin or disease. Acting like you are not is well disineguous at best. You are loosing all credibility.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:07 AM

733 posts, read 760,367 times
Quote:
My comments are specific to this thread and what has been happening politically during the last few years.
I would follow up the above comment with this statement as well. "This specific thread" is about moving to the area, and not about politics per se nor anything related to partisan violence. Sure maybe "someone else started it," but enough already.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:41 AM

I am apolitical. I don't belong to any party.

One of the commenters said that (paraphrasing here) liberals are never anti-reason nor anti-science, and another poster agreed, with the implication that all conservatives ARE anti-science and anti-reason. It is a common sentiment that I have heard many many MANY times.

What I am FOR is that people see the world as it IS, not as they WISH it to be. What I have posted are examples that show, that yes, liberals can be anti-science and anti-reason. They can be unreasonable and violent. Disagree with that statement? Then you are not seeing reality. You are seeing what you WISH to see.

(Last post)

Last edited by newtovenice; 10-09-2017 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 08:58 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,082 times
Quote:
I am apolitical. I don't belong to any party.

One of the commenters said that (paraphrasing here) liberals are never anti-reason nor anti-science, and another poster agreed, with the implication that all conservatives ARE anti-science and anti-reason. It is a common sentiment that I have heard many many MANY times.

What I am FOR is that people see the world as it IS, not as they WISH it to be. What I have posted are examples that show, that yes, liberals can be anti-science and anti-reason. They can be unreasonable and violent. Disagree with that statement? Then you are not seeing reality. You are seeing what you WISH to see.

(Last post)
If you are truly apolitical you should want both kinds of people: both those who see the world as it is and those who see it as they wish to be (never mind that the world as it IS as you see it is not the world as it IS as others see it, but I digress).

Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
If you are truly apolitical you should want both kinds of people: both those who see the world as it is and those who see it as they wish to be (never mind that the world as it IS as you see it is not the world as it IS as others see it, but I digress).
Direct answer: If I wish my neighbors were a family of unicorns, it does not make it so. Truth is truth. And truth is different from change. Ignoring truth does not create change. Acknowledging truth, and changing behavior creates change. You cannot create a different world unless you are living in truth.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,082 times
Quote:
Direct answer: If I wish my neighbors were a family of unicorns, it does not make it so. Truth is truth. And truth is different from change. Ignoring truth does not create change. Acknowledging truth, and changing behavior creates change. You cannot create a different world unless you are living in truth.
Much of what you say there though isn't "truth." It's your opinion that you see as truth. Which, is not truth. We're not talking about whether the sky is blue (although, in fairness, if I believe the sky is green, then, to me, the sky is green, no matter how much you tell me otherwise).

Clearly I'm talking in generalities because in the recent posts you've been talking in generalities, although clearly you want those generalities to tie back in to your specifics. Okay, fine. You can talk until your blue in the face about violence on the left, but its sheer existence doesn't validate violence on the right. There's bad actors on both sides, and, if you were truly apolitical, you'd be calling out bad actions without even bringing politics into the mix because, quite frankly, when you have bad actions it doesn't particularly matter the reason behind them.

You claim to be this bastion of centrism, but, based on the fact that you typed "last post" yet are continuing to post, this so-called inability of people to see the left's bad actions really bothers you.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:26 PM

92 posts, read 128,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Sounds like Gainesville might be the city for you. Population around 100,000. It is among if not the most liberal town in Florida. It is consistently ranked as the most educated town in the state. Housing costs are reasonable by Florida standards. The University of Florida is the premier educational institution in the state; it brings much in the way of diversity as well as the "vibe" associated with large state universities. Shands/UF hospital is among the best in the country. Miles of hiking/biking trails and natural springs. It is located 1 hour from both the Atlantic ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. Check it out.
Gainesville for sure.

But as far as fit and athletic... It is super humid in Fl like 11 months out of the year. It is a tough place if you like to be active outside.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
Gainesville for sure.

But as far as fit and athletic... It is super humid in Fl like 11 months out of the year. It is a tough place if you like to be active outside.
It really isn't tough once you realize showers or a jump in the pool is required multiple times a day if you are active. Sweating profusely if you work or exercise outside is a given here and acclimating takes time.

11 months is an exaggeration, make it 4 months of great weather with 4 seriously hot and humid ones with the other months being a toss up each year.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-10-2017 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area