Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 04:42 AM

140 posts, read 186,536 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to make a list of all the old restaurants, food places and delis in this area (Sarasota/Manatee). Really, anything over 20 years old qualifies. I'm considering building a website that features only the old, classic food places. Whatever you know, please post it here so I can begin making a comprehensive list. They can be big places, like Columbia or hole-in-the-wall places. I'll go first:

-Columbia
-Hot Diggity Dog (1970) The Original Hot Diggity Dog in Sarasota Florida
-Hob Nob (1957) About
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:53 AM

47 posts, read 51,822 times
New Pass Grill comes to mind

Old 09-22-2017, 09:34 AM

37 posts, read 43,508 times
I haven't lived in Sarasota in nearly 25 years. Is Angers Garden Deli (on Lime Ave near Fruitville) still in existence? A web search brought it up. But according to Yelp, it is closed. What a shame. I lived on 6th St near Washington Blvd in the early-to-mid 1980's and used to eat at Angers a lot. That's been many years ago and the owners (two couples) were no spring chickens back then. But they certainly made wonderful sandwiches.

The Hob Nob is a classic. We used to frequent that place when I worked in one of the nearby motorcycle shops, again, mid-80's-ish up until I left Sarasota in 1993. It was cool - you could sit outside and drink pitcher-after-pitcher of beer. And that is exactly what we would do. It was owned, at that time, by a gentleman named Angelo. What a great guy. He used to come sit down at our table and drink beer with us. He would then, generally, have the waitress bring us another pitcher on the house. Fond memories.

Li'l Villa on South Trail north of Stickney Point was our favorite pizza place back during that era.

How about the Hide-A-Way on North Trail just south of 27th Street? I never hung out there. But it certainly was a unique establishment.

Then there was a place on North Washington Blvd. I can't remember the name. But it had "Mary" in the name. Oh, wait...that wasn't a restaurant.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 PM

186 posts, read 327,197 times
how about Sonny's BBQ on 41...haha... And of course Walt's Fish Market. Surely they've been around for that long.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:45 PM

25,151 posts, read 12,308,008 times
Linger Lodge was here 25 years ago when I last called this area home. It appeared as if it had been there for quite some time before that. Maybe the 1960's? It's a very unique place for sure.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:02 AM

37 posts, read 43,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
how about Sonny's BBQ on 41...haha... And of course Walt's Fish Market. Surely they've been around for that long.
Walt's has been around forever. I lived near Gillespie Park in the mid-1980's and we used to eat at Walt's (and Popeye's before that chain gained national popularity).

Sonny's. Indeed, haha. We live in North Florida where Sonny's got its start. I'll go just about anywhere for BBQ before I'll go to Sonny's. The one on Venice Bypass has been there for approx 40 years.

I assume that Oaks Barbecue is still around. They got their start in a tiny place at the southwest corner of US41 and Stickney Point. That building had originally been a Royal Castle hamburger stand (there was another one on the NE corner of 41 and Bahia Vista. That chain fell by the wayside in the early-70s.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:50 AM

25,151 posts, read 12,308,008 times
Linger Lodge's web site says founded 1968, (coming up on 50 year anniversary) and that Al Roker named it one of the top 5 weirdest restaurants in the nation. It might be closed temporarily for improvements, but I hope they dont mess up the vibe the old hunting lodge throws off. If you have ophidiophobia, don't go here. They have huge trophy sized Rattlers mounted all over the walls, and in the displays.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:57 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,678,334 times
glad to see someone is doing your homework for you.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:50 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,426,428 times
My opinion of Linger Lodge is different. While the decor is lacking (unless you are into dusty, stuffed animals), when we last visited in April with friends the food was good and prices reasonable. We all shared the sampler platter, the gator and fried green tomatoes were good. The others said the frog legs were good as well (not a frog leg fan myself). Entrees were enjoyable as well. It's one of the few places that serve alligator, which visitors from "up north" always want to try. Will be interesting to see the remodeled version of the restaurant.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,214,226 times
Because you posted it Shekie, and that name was deleted.

But you already knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: