U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 PM
 
32,147 posts, read 50,472,687 times
Reputation: 18135

Advertisements

How bad are the piles in your neighborhood?
We were fairly lucky considering--
Had a tall Queen Palm go down parallel to house
Daughter got landscaper to cut it into moveable pieces but still have large root ball to deal with
Had other branches and stuff but not as much as some people with different type of landscaping
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2017, 10:01 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
11,222 posts, read 8,166,020 times
Reputation: 17126
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
How bad are the piles in your neighborhood?
We were fairly lucky considering--
Had a tall Queen Palm go down parallel to house
Daughter got landscaper to cut it into moveable pieces but still have large root ball to deal with
Had other branches and stuff but not as much as some people with different type of landscaping
Not too bad here, here and there are small to medium piles of vegetation. We had a big live oak tree that fell over, and a debris line (mostly sea grass, I think), along the water line on our property where the river rose (it had receded by Monday AM when we got home). The guy that takes care of our lawn and landscaping cleaned it all up- including chopping up the roots of the tree into pieces he could haul to the pile at the edge of the lawn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 AM
 
32,147 posts, read 50,472,687 times
Reputation: 18135
We have new guy doing our yard who has done our daughter's next door for several yrs now. They evaced to Acadia from Osprey area where they have family. Think that was harder hit.
Daughter texted him couple of times w/o response so she had to get someone else to cut palm trunk up. Our SIL cut fronds iff crown but his chain saw not strong enough for trunk
Still have rootball to deal with

What part of SRQ are you in?
Seen any debris trucks moving through?
Guy in our neighborhood took job w FEMA and was going off on Sarasota county for not hiring sub-contractors to clean up debris
Ignoring fact that county has contract in place w company for debris removal that pays less than they can get from counties/cities w/o preexisting contracts
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,864 posts, read 10,135,630 times
Reputation: 6624
W-M came through my 1700 home subdivision today and removed everything that was packaged and placed at the curb like a normal pick up day. Branches on yards and even at curb not bundled are still there. The whole block across the street [about 20 homes] had no electric for nine days. A very large Ficus tree took out the electric/Comcast/phone lines and landed on the house. Dispute between tree removal/fpl/Comcast/frontier as to who did what first. Tree was trimmed and huge limbs/branches are on the front lawn. I'm thinking they will be there for awhile.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 06:30 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
11,222 posts, read 8,166,020 times
Reputation: 17126
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have new guy doing our yard who has done our daughter's next door for several yrs now. They evaced to Acadia from Osprey area where they have family. Think that was harder hit.
Daughter texted him couple of times w/o response so she had to get someone else to cut palm trunk up. Our SIL cut fronds iff crown but his chain saw not strong enough for trunk
Still have rootball to deal with

What part of SRQ are you in?
Seen any debris trucks moving through?
Guy in our neighborhood took job w FEMA and was going off on Sarasota county for not hiring sub-contractors to clean up debris
Ignoring fact that county has contract in place w company for debris removal that pays less than they can get from counties/cities w/o preexisting contracts
We're in the northern end of Charlotte County, about a half mile south of the DeSoto County line, off US17. Although I was reassured by Charlotte County waste management folks that contractors (paid for by FEMA) would be collecting those piles of hurricane-related debris, I haven't seen hide nor hair of any trucks or other vehicles out here doing that. I figure it might take a while, they think we live in the outer rings of Saturn here.

I think it took about six weeks or more to get the debris cleared off the edges of the street we lived on in Miami-that was a lot more and included damaged items (furniture, electronics, wet, soggy and moldy books, papers, insulation, you name it) in addition to the vegetation debris. It was like looking at Mt. Trashmore all up and down the streets, and the Army Corps of Engineers drove bulldozers tp pick the stuff up. They took several of the still standing street signs along with the trash.

This stuff is small potatoes compared to that. I figure they will get around to picking this little pile of debris sooner or later.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 11:39 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
11,222 posts, read 8,166,020 times
Reputation: 17126
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
W-M came through my 1700 home subdivision today and removed everything that was packaged and placed at the curb like a normal pick up day. Branches on yards and even at curb not bundled are still there. The whole block across the street [about 20 homes] had no electric for nine days. A very large Ficus tree took out the electric/Comcast/phone lines and landed on the house. Dispute between tree removal/fpl/Comcast/frontier as to who did what first. Tree was trimmed and huge limbs/branches are on the front lawn. I'm thinking they will be there for awhile.
I was hearing that at least here in Charlotte County they have not yet been able to find enough debris removal folks willing to take on the contract work of removing Irma-related debris, or something like that. So they don't know when it can be removed at this point. It might be the same way in Sarasota County.

We've had our regular garbage and recycle pickups since the week after Irma, but I can't see that any of the hurricane- related debris piles have gone anywhere. We also have choppings from a large live oak tree that fell, including the roots. I'm thinking that sooner or later, this pile will become the first of the large bulk pickups ( of two) that we call the county to pick up, if its not picked up by FEMA contracted folks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 02:51 AM
 
3,250 posts, read 2,178,378 times
Reputation: 12223
Claw trucks in tandem with huge waste removal trucks were in South Venice on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, clearing Alligator Road. They are concentrating on clearing the main roads first.

I watched a live stream of the department head in Sarasota County in charge of clean up. They are working from South County northward. Cleaning up closer to the main landfill to maximize time best spent and then will be working with an old landfill off of Bee Ridge as they get closer to that area. They have 11 trucks, 8 from their contractor and three from the county currently and are hoping to eventually get to 22. Their contract pays $8 a ton or ton and a half, not sure which, and counties south of us are paying $15, so that is where the subcontractors went.

Municipalities like Sarasota, Venice and North Port are doing separate clean up efforts of their own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 AM
 
32,147 posts, read 50,472,687 times
Reputation: 18135
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
W-M came through my 1700 home subdivision today and removed everything that was packaged and placed at the curb like a normal pick up day. Branches on yards and even at curb not bundled are still there. The whole block across the street [about 20 homes] had no electric for nine days. A very large Ficus tree took out the electric/Comcast/phone lines and landed on the house. Dispute between tree removal/fpl/Comcast/frontier as to who did what first. Tree was trimmed and huge limbs/branches are on the front lawn. I'm thinking they will be there for awhile.
OK
Just to be tedious--
Where you live makes a difference
City/incorporated vs unincorporated county as to how the storm debris is managed
The normal waste management --garbage, recycling, and vegetative pick up ARE all still on-going
You can call and get a special/regular waste pickup--like if you had your garage refrig go out and needed it hauled away

There there is storm debris--if you have trees down, or just lot of branches or if you have interior debris because you had a tree fall on your house and had water damage inside..
In Houston from mainly flooding there were tons of storm debris from interior flooding damage that people didn't wait for insurance contractors to remove--they started ripping out Sheetrock and trim and other things like wood flooring ASAP they could get back into their homes...
From what I have read most of our Sarasota area damage is from wind breaking vegetation vs any flooding or even having trees damage homes when they fell...

The problem is that the country -- trying to manage its budget and because it really never has been a disaster zone in decades (if ever)--had a contract in place so that it was paying $8 a yard to its contractor to remove storm debris from curb.
The sub-contractors who came in from out of state to --let's say it--profit from our disaster could make more money from areas where there were NO outstanding contracts in place at lower prices--
Those areas were paying double 15-17 a yard--so of course subs went there....Free market in action
In Sarasota county, they asked for 22 grabber trucks from their contractor--and they got fewer than 10--
That is not proper response...I would imagine the contractor has other trucks that are doing work in other areas for more money---and that could get litigious if he doesn't step up...

IMO if you have the means and time--take what you can to the landfill yourself--it's open longer hours and no charge...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2017, 07:39 AM
 
32,147 posts, read 50,472,687 times
Reputation: 18135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Claw trucks in tandem with huge waste removal trucks were in South Venice on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, clearing Alligator Road. They are concentrating on clearing the main roads first.

I watched a live stream of the department head in Sarasota County in charge of clean up. They are working from South County northward. Cleaning up closer to the main landfill to maximize time best spent and then will be working with an old landfill off of Bee Ridge as they get closer to that area. They have 11 trucks, 8 from their contractor and three from the county currently and are hoping to eventually get to 22. Their contract pays $8 a ton or ton and a half, not sure which, and counties south of us are paying $15, so that is where the subcontractors went.

Municipalities like Sarasota, Venice and North Port are doing separate clean up efforts of their own.
Yes--Rich Collins, Director of Emergency Mgmt for Sarasota County--
Informative except they never get the sound loud enough or have mics for people asking questions so is very frustrating.
I reposted that FM link on NextDoor for people in my area cause some of them are FB resistant
I thought he made good points about the rock/hard place the county is in right now...
I also thought it was 8 per cubic yard vs ton--which is big difference--but you are right about the price spread in areas south...

And when I spoke with someone with the regular waste mgmt for our subdivision he said they were still picking up THEIR normal vegetation runs--they were just very backed up from being closed several days===and they would be working Saturdays and maybe Sundays to get caught up...
Now whether that was correct I don't know
People can have regular yard vegetation NOT storm debris so I don't think it is very fair to assume ALL vegetation is storm debris and ignore it for a FEMA contractor to deal with...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM
 
3,250 posts, read 2,178,378 times
Reputation: 12223
I had normal vegetation picked up last week. Recycles were three weeks behind, we weren't picked up before or after Irma and were skipped Friday, but it was picked up yesterday. They are slowly getting back on schedule. I think they are doing their best with what they have to pick up after the disruption from Irma.

The claw truck is out front right now picking up our storm debris: a large water oak that went down that we cut up and put out. It was a lot of debris and we are one house. This is in South Venice.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-26-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top