U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,093 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We are a family that is looking to relocate to the south to escape our brutal winters. We've been researching for a little bit now and the Sarasota, FL area looks pretty perfect for our needs and wants. However, we're a bit concerned about red tide. (Hurricanes don't seem to phase us too badly, go figure haha. )

I understand Florida makes a lot of its money from tourism and for this reason doesn't want to scare people away talking about red tide. The info I keep seeing is super general info like the fact that red tide has happened for hundreds of years and its natural. While that's all good and well I would love some more concrete info about red tide.

1.) In general, is it a yearly phenomenon these days?

2.) In general, does it mean months of stinky beaches or weeks?

3.) Is the trend getting worse? I'm meaning does it seem like red tide is getting more frequent / longer lasting than it did in the past?

4.) We think we'd like the west coast of Florida vs the east coast because of the gulf's calmer waters. In your opinion is red tide of the west coast a big enough deterrent to stick to the east coast? (I keep seeing the official line is that red tide can affect the east coast of Florida but it seems the west coast gets it much worse.)

5.) For people living in red tide prone areas, how has it affected your life and what do you do when there is a red tide?

Thank you to anyone that can help us with info about red tide!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 AM

5,648 posts, read 9,874,194 times
Unless you live right on the beach, I doubt it will concern you much unless you are not on the beach but very close and you are particularly susceptible to pollutants for health reasons. I don't know why you think that the info you've read is somehow filtered for P/R reasons but it's not. It comes around from time to time and, during that time, you might decide to skip a visit to the beach. It really is that simple. I experience far more distress when I am walking or driving downwind from a sewage lift station than I do from red tide.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:02 AM

390 posts, read 540,046 times
From my experience, red tide varies from year to year. Sometimes worse other times not. Red tide usually happens somewhere on the west coast every year. Sometimes the red tide counts are high, at some beaches, at other times its low. If I am affected by red tide my throat gets irritated and I cough. There are sites you can look at before you go to the beach to see if any or none is present. Is it a big deal? For me, its not.

If you decide to move here, I would advise you buy a house with a pool or live where a pool is available so when you can't swim in the Gulf, at your local beaches, you have an alternative.

Last edited by Florida or Bust....; 09-24-2017 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Unless you live right on the beach, I doubt it will concern you much unless you are not on the beach but very close and you are particularly susceptible to pollutants for health reasons. I don't know why you think that the info you've read is somehow filtered for P/R reasons but it's not. It comes around from time to time and, during that time, you might decide to skip a visit to the beach. It really is that simple. I experience far more distress when I am walking or driving downwind from a sewage lift station than I do from red tide.
I guess I am being a bit cynical. I just figured there has to be more specific info on when it occurs and how long it sticks around. Looks like it really is unpredictable though. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
From my experience, red tide varies from year to year. Sometimes worse other times not. Red tide usually happens somewhere on the west coast every year. Sometimes the red tide counts are high, at some beaches, at other times its low. If I am affected by red tide my throat gets irritated and I cough. There are sites you can look at before you go to the beach to see if any or none is present. Is it a big deal? For me, its not.

If you decide to move here, I would advise you buy a house with a pool or live where a pool is available so when you can't swim in the Gulf, at your local beaches, you have an alternative.
Thanks for the info and tips!

Old 09-24-2017, 01:29 PM

66 posts, read 49,186 times
Florida Healthy Beaches Program | Florida Department of Health

Old 09-27-2017, 10:47 AM

57 posts, read 65,002 times
Default Red Tide

You are very astute to realize that cash from tourism is king in Florida--- so they don't want anyone
to know about the Red Tide issue if they can help it.

As a travel agent for 47 years, I cannot, in good conscience ever book anyone on the West Coast of Florida without warning them that may not be able to use the beach. Our first beach visit,
after we moved to Sarasota 4 years ago, was during Red Tide. Ugh...
Coming from the Northeast, we thought it meant lots of red seaweed in the water like at home.
NO! It means you start coughing-- even the dog was coughing, there are dead fish on the shore and around you in the water (literally in a circle around me--- before we saw them and ran from the beach)
and if you have asthma, it will not help your breathing issues. Also, because of the dead sea creatures, there are more sand fleas feasting on the material.

Evidently it's been around for decades, and they've been able to keep it one big secret---as I've
NEVER seen one word about it in any of the travel trade papers or magazines I've subscribed to for years. The East Coast can get it, but because of those nice flat, warm gulf waters, the tide is more
prevalent here. It can last days, weeks, or months---you never know.

It turns out though we live 12 minutes drive from Siesta Key, we never go to the beach because
they don't allow dogs on the beach like at home (there is a dog beach in Venice, which is where we experienced The Red Tide).
So, it's a nice place to live, much nicer and with lower taxes than the East Coast cities we looked at---
but if you are beach people, you have to know about this before you decide. The areas near I-75
will have less breathing issues, those neighborhoods "West of the Trail" will have more. Our best friends
live near the Sarasota Memorial and she constantly has to use an inhaler during Red Tide.
We are happy we settled just east of I-75, as we find it the most convenient location to live in the greater Sarasota area.
We can buzz up to UTC in less than 12 minutes or downtown SRQ in 15.

Mote Marine would be able to give you much more info if you call them, as they maintain the
warning system.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM

529 posts, read 920,625 times
I have a place on Siesta and have been coming to the area my entire life. There was a bad red tide in Jan 2017 where it was difficult to even breath while on the beach and that was the worst that I had seen.

1) Yes it seems that some degree of red tide occurs at some point during the year every year.
2) Totally depends on the outbreak but the noticable effects usually last week(s) to a month. Winds usually blow it out of the area after a certain period of time.
3) Red tides do seem to happen more frequently than from what I remember in the late 70's and 80's which is when I started coming down. Scientists think the blooms are being fed by nutrient runoff from fertilizers.
4)I don't think it would be enough of a deterrent and as others have said if you are away from the beach you won't even notice it. I can walk from the beach to Siesta Village about 300 yards away and the effects disappear.
5) I spend a lot more time drinking when there is red tide. Bottoms up!

Old 09-28-2017, 10:30 AM

5,648 posts, read 9,874,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandcreek View Post
You are very astute to realize that cash from tourism is king in Florida--- so they don't want anyone to know about the Red Tide issue if they can help it.

Evidently it's been around for decades, and they've been able to keep it one big secret---as I've
NEVER seen one word about it in any of the travel trade papers or magazines I've subscribed to for years.
There's a difference between paid marketing that emphasizes what it is supposed to emphasize and the type of conspiratorial effort that you are suggesting. With all due respect, your take on this is a bit dark. There's no secrecy surrounding red tide. It is covered by the media (if not over-hyped) all the time when there are breakouts and information is readily available. It is naturally occurring and suggesting that "they" try to keep it a secret is not supported by the facts.

Now, I believe that it is not mentioned in marketing materials but do you really expect travel destination marketing to reflect the negative? When was the last time you saw any marketing for any travel that brings up the potential negative aspects?

"Come to [England, France, Germany, Israel, etc.] for the sights....stay for the terror attacks!".....uh, no.
"Visit Yellowstone and take a chance on being incinerated by the super-volcano! ... haven't seen that either.

That never happens because that is not what marketing is for. On the other hand, that is exactly what a travel agent is for. Travelers turn to travel agents because they are supposed to know the scoop about the destination and they provide a wealth of info. Travel agents who rely only on marketing material for their info are not nearly as useful as those who have been there, researched the area, and really know the destinations....the good and the bad.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:54 AM

647 posts, read 533,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
There's a difference between paid marketing that emphasizes what it is supposed to emphasize and the type of conspiratorial effort that you are suggesting. With all due respect, your take on this is a bit dark. There's no secrecy surrounding red tide. It is covered by the media (if not over-hyped) all the time when there are breakouts and information is readily available. It is naturally occurring and suggesting that "they" try to keep it a secret is not supported by the facts.

Now, I believe that it is not mentioned in marketing materials but do you really expect travel destination marketing to reflect the negative? When was the last time you saw any marketing for any travel that brings up the potential negative aspects?

"Come to [England, France, Germany, Israel, etc.] for the sights....stay for the terror attacks!".....uh, no.
"Visit Yellowstone and take a chance on being incinerated by the super-volcano! ... haven't seen that either.

That never happens because that is not what marketing is for. On the other hand, that is exactly what a travel agent is for. Travelers turn to travel agents because they are supposed to know the scoop about the destination and they provide a wealth of info. Travel agents who rely only on marketing material for their info are not nearly as useful as those who have been there, researched the area, and really know the destinations....the good and the bad.
Totally agree, and a well-written perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>