Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,559 times

Advertisements

Our family is looking to relocate to the Sarasota area and we could really use some input from those of you who live in/near and know this area very well. Can you reply on the following categories for Sarasota: 1. Quality of elementary and middle schools, 2. Safety / Crime, 3. Parks / Lakes, 4. Small town - close community feel, 5. Have a nice YMCA, Target, Publix, shopping, etc?, 6. Demographics - young families w/children?, 7. Distance to airport?

Thank you very much for your input, comments, and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
I live in Sarasota county and am a native to the area. Out of the 43 Sarasota County Schools 32 schools received an "A" rating, most of the others were "B" rated schools. My children go to Pine View School in Osprey and we love it. It was ranked the number six school in the Nation and has grades 2-12th. North Port has four elementary schools and one middle school, all are "A" rated.

For the safety crime stats you can check City-Data. I live in North Port and have three kids, we feel very safe.

Again, North Port has a small town feeling. Osprey is another good choice.
Target, Publix, etc are on just about every corner throughout Sarasota county no matter where you choose.

North Port is the youngest city in Sarasota county with an average age of 40. I believe Venice has the oldest population in the county.

Anywhere in Sarasota county is not more than 40 minutes from the Sarasota/Bradenton Airport. The closer toward Sarasota you get, the closer you are to the airport.

Hope this helps
SoFLGal

Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,827 times
Thank you SoFLGal - this is helpful!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM

69 posts, read 235,885 times
Have you checked City-Data for Sarasota and the surrounding areas (Sarasota, Venice, North Port, Englewood, Bradenton)? That gives you a lot of the statistics that you are asking about and pictures of each. Also read some of the other blogs about people moving into the area. You will see both pros and cons to most of the areas by reading those. Each one has it's own special charm. You asked about YMCA's Sarasota has 2 and Venice has a brand new addition and is across the street from one of the elementary schools and they have a great after-school program.
Best of Luck!
Kim : )

Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
PineView is a magnet school since it is for all the gifted and talented students in Sarasota Co--there is testing involved to decide if students are eligible--and yes, it is a wonderful school
Venice is wonderful town--has great downtown area on the island and plent of other retail on mainland--not as much traffic most of the time and yet is easy to get into the s part of Sarasota for the mall

Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 AM

83 posts, read 277,532 times
Hi
We are about to move next month from NY. We have been down to the area many times over the past few years. I'd suggest Lakewood Ranch - planned community - it has a number of different areas. If you go to Welcome to Lakewood Ranch you can find out all about the communities. There are major deals to be had in property there at the moment and it is totally family orientated. New YMCA, new public schools, wide choice of private schools. Airport is 10 minutes away, which is necessary for us because my husband commutes to NY. Willis Elementary school (pulbic) gets great reviews. Our son is gifted so we did a lot of research about the schools in the area. Clean, tidy, quiet, spacious communities within the "ranch" that have adventure parks, pools, nature reserves, - everything is laid out for bike riding, walking, etc.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:41 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Bound View Post
Our family is looking to relocate to the Sarasota area and we could really use some input from those of you who live in/near and know this area very well. Can you reply on the following categories for Sarasota: 1. Quality of elementary and middle schools, 2. Safety / Crime, 3. Parks / Lakes, 4. Small town - close community feel, 5. Have a nice YMCA, Target, Publix, shopping, etc?, 6. Demographics - young families w/children?, 7. Distance to airport?

Thank you very much for your input, comments, and suggestions!
Hi Flbound,
SoFLGal gave you great information.
We just bought in the Palmer Ranch area of Sarasota for the reasons listed in my post "Just bought in Sarasota, Helpful hints". I will tell you that our kids are all out of the house, so our criteria were different than yours.
One amendment to her post. Venice is not old, it is ancient. Anyone younger than 65 must be a visitor. Definitely not for school age kids.

Good luck,
smildoc1

Old 04-11-2008, 01:20 PM

321 posts, read 362,883 times
I have to agree that Lakewood Ranch should defintely be on your list of possibilites if not #1. I just visited the movie theatre in LWR a week ago and was pleasantly suprised to see all the teens and tweens as I rarely come into contact with people of the younger demographic unless visiting the mall. I myself am a big fan of planned communities. I can't speak for the cost of living in LWR as I do not personally live there, but I can say that imho it is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Bradenton/Sarasota and you'd be hardpressed to find one more convenient with all the development going on around and within the community.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 AM

16 posts, read 64,381 times
First let me preface my remark by saying that I am a Realtor, however, please don't discount my post based on that. I logged onto this group because one of my clients had told me about it and I really thought it looked like a great way to share my love of the area with people who are looking for answers. I work as a Professional Buyer's Agent, so I'm not here to try to sell you a home or an area that I have a vested interest in.

From the list of questions that you've asked it sounds very much like you would enjoy being in either the Palmer Ranch or Lakewood Ranch areas. They have a lot to offer that fits neatly into your criteria. Everything is pretty much new in the last several years, people from any large city would most likely consider the crime rates to be low or relatively non-existent - comparatively speaking. (Please note that I'm a retired police officer) The YMCA is new and is a beautiful state of the art facility, including a huge outdoor pool and a great swim team to boot.

There are also a couple of communities nearby, on the fringe of Lakewood Ranch that might be attractive, depending on what style of homes you prefer, how large you expect the yards to be, what type of ammenities you'd like in your development and of course, how much you wanted to invest in your new home. I hope that is of some help.

Last edited by helojafo; 04-12-2008 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area