Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 AM

175 posts, read 635,306 times

Advertisements

So I see 117 views and no responses so figured I'd title it differently hoping for responses.

I posted this several months ago in the Tampa forum and have since made 3 visits to the area. Since our visits and researching a ton, I'm leaning towards an office in DT St Petersburg though Tampa is still on the table. My question to the folks on this forum is am I missing an area such as Bradenton or Sarasota? I don't want an hour commute each way and ideally would like to live within a short drive of the office. For a home we have a budget of $325k or less - would like to have a pool but not 100% deal breaker. We have a 2 year old son so good school district is important and we want to live among other young families. I figured I'd throw this out to a new audience to see if there's different feedback. Lastly, would living in Sarasota area or Bradenton make for a terrible commute to DT St Petersburg crossing the Skyway daily? Thanks in advance everyone! Any feedback is appreciated. Coming down again end of January and hope to see some new areas that we may have missed.

My company is likely going to relocate my family to Tampa in the near future to open up what will be our 20th office in the US. The nature of our work is Inside Sales with our people spending 2-5 hours/day on the phones. We sell transportation services (Full Truckload, Temperature Control, Flatbed, and Intermodal (Rail).

My question to this forum is if you had the opportunity to start a new sales office for your company, where in the Tampa area would you put it? I was in Tampa last week for the first time and really enjoyed it. I feel the TPA airport area could be a good spot as well as downtown. Looking for input on these areas and any other suggestions.

I'm currently in downtown Chicago and 100% of the people in my office take public transportation. I know it will be exact opposite in Tampa so maybe being downtown really doesn't matter like it does in Chicago. Again, your input is valued!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 11:49 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,667,874 times
I live and work in and around Lakewood Ranch but for a long time I lived in Braden Woods (next to LWR) and worked on Central Ave. and 54th in St. Petersburg. It took me about 35-40 minutes each trip. Other than the occasional bad weather or blocked road, I enjoyed the commute and the bridge didn't bother me at all. I would have preferred to work closer to home, though. Lakewood Ranch has A-rated schools so that could work for you but you'll need to decide for yourself what is most important to you. As for your office location, if being close to Tampa airport is important, I think it makes the most sense to have the office on that side of the bay and located along a less congested roadway that provides access. Traffic is bad everywhere, really, but there must be places that provide access to the airport with less time stuck in traffic jams.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:50 AM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times
Coming from Sarasota, Bradenton area the only problem I've had is when they close the Skyway because of heavy wind or fog. Then it's a real PITA as I have to keep going north on 75 to I4 to 275 and head back south.

I've not found any other way to get across the bay to St Pete if skyway is closed. Doesn't happen often but is a PITA when it does.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:09 PM

44 posts, read 51,289 times
Did the commute from SRQ/near the Fruitville/Mcintosh area every day to DT St Pete at the Wachovia Building for years.
I found it no problem at all really...but I'm a "driving fool" and have lived in cities with far worse traffic such as ATL, Dallas, Houston etc. I just figured out what's the best time to leave SRQ which was exactly 640a (7 was too late), and I left my office from 2nd in ST Pete exactly at 435p and the drive was a breeze back over the skyway...the absolute latest to leave DT SP In the car and out of DT was 440-445....things change so you will have to experiment for yourself, but you'll be able to figure out the timing for yourself. Fridays' were a different story entirely..most times at left the office in DT SP on Fridays well before 3p anywy...lol

Old 12-17-2016, 01:05 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,829,694 times
It's really not a bad commute from here. My husband actually commutes to downtown Tampa from the SRQ area (our neighborhood) every day. St. Pete commute is a breeze compared to that, except if Skyway is closed; which isn't that often. When we drive to St. Pete it's only about 35-40 minutes depending on destination and what route we take.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:23 PM

175 posts, read 635,306 times
Thank you all for the responses - I'm looking forward to checking out the Bradenton area in January when we visit.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,353,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorch101 View Post
if you had the opportunity to start a new sales office for your company, where in the Tampa area would you put it?
New Tampa, which is a bit north of the I-75/I-4 interchange. If you put the office in downtown Tampa, a lot of your workers will likely end up living in the New Tampa area and they'll have to commute into downtown.

Might as well have the office close to the places to live. There are some nice office parks in New Tampa and nice subdivisions and also nice condos and nice apartment complexes. It's a growing area.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 8,085 times
I am looking at a position in the YBOR City area, and would contemplate commuting from Sarasota, potentially the Meadows area.

MapQuest puts it at 57.5 miles/53 min. Is that realistic?

Does traffic move continuously on Rt. 75 & 618 or are they subject to standstills/delays?
Is there a best time to leave in the AM? 7:00 am? 6:30 AM?
Is the return commute miserable at 5:00, 5:30 & 6:00 pm?

I am used to PA/NJ/NY big city traffic where standstills or delays are typical. And have commuted 90 minutes each way for a year or two in the past, although wouldn't recommend that in the long term for anyone.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:56 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,840,903 times
Sarasota county schools are far superior to Manatee county schools. Given a choice, it's a no brainer.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzyJim View Post
I am looking at a position in the YBOR City area, and would contemplate commuting from Sarasota, potentially the Meadows area.

MapQuest puts it at 57.5 miles/53 min. Is that realistic?

Does traffic move continuously on Rt. 75 & 618 or are they subject to standstills/delays?
Is there a best time to leave in the AM? 7:00 am? 6:30 AM?
Is the return commute miserable at 5:00, 5:30 & 6:00 pm?

I am used to PA/NJ/NY big city traffic where standstills or delays are typical. And have commuted 90 minutes each way for a year or two in the past, although wouldn't recommend that in the long term for anyone.
We live just north of the airport, and my husband commutes to downtown Tampa every day. For a long commute, it is not bad, traffic is rarely at a standstill, it seems to move smoothly from this direction. He has been doing this commute for years. There is no "best time", rush hour starts early (he leaves around 6:30 a.m., and leaves work around 5:00. It will probably take longer than 53 minutes, depending on start/end points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area