Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 02:49 PM

8,264 posts, read 4,666,091 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My FL driver's license expires in three months. Today I learned some interesting things when I got my renewal notice in the mail. I am allowed to just send in a check and renew by mail - and I can also do the "simple" renewal online from the GoRenew web site. However if I opt for a "simple" renewal - my new driver license will not be "Real ID" compliant. This is because my current driver license is not RealID compliant (there is no star to the right of my driver license number). This is because my current driver's license was issued in 2009 (before the RealID procedure took effect in 2010).

I'm told if I already had a RealID compliant driver license then I could get a new RealID driver license with the simple renewal (either online or by mail). If want to get a RealID driver license I must come into their office and bring the necessary documents (birth certificate, social security card, vehicle registration & utility bill).

So just to summarize the RealID driver license is not "mandatory". I'm thinking about avoiding the hassle and just renewing my driver license online (and skipping getting the RealID driver license for now). What are the main advantages of having the RealID driver license? I've been in Florida for eight years and I was never asked to show a RealID driver license to anyone for identification.

In the information packet I received today from Florida motor vehicles division - it states that "If you plan to use a Florida driver license or ID card as your official identification for domestic air travel, it must be "Real ID-compliant" by October 1, 2020. Individuals currently seeking access to military bases and most Federal facilities must present Real ID-compliant identification. A United States passport may be used in place of a RealID-compliant card for official identification."

So seems to me the RealID will be primarily used at airports. I'm not really planning on doing any air travel so I really don't see any urgency for me to take the extra trouble to get the RealID driver license. In the rare instances (within the past few years) where I showed my driver's license for ID - was when I cashed a check at my bank and when I was filling out forms at a new doctor's office. For all of them my regular driver license was just fine.

Last edited by wondermint2; 10-21-2017 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 03:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Is it that hard for you to go into the Tax Collector's office and bring the necessary documentation with you? As long as you research proper documentation ahead of time and ensure you have the proper documents, you should be able to get get in/out pretty quick and have a RealID in hand.

While you might not be planning to fly now, what if that is necessary in the future. Then you are forced to either get RealID then or deal with alternative options.

Might as well get it out of the way now, IMO, and get a RealID compliant one at renewal time. Unless the burden is too great at this time - such as physical issues, issues with transportation or you don't have the necessary documentation (sealed birth certificate, utility bill, etc) in hand.

People that have changed names seem to have additional hurdles which can make the documentation task be a hassle, because the name on the birth certificate doesn't match the current name. I think you need specific documents to show for all name changes in between.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:36 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
If you've had a name change through marriage, they require a clerk of court certified copy of your marriage certificate. Birth certificate must be original or certified copy by the county health department, not the copy your parents received from the hospital. Both my husband and myself ended up having to track down certified copies before we could obtain our RealID compliant drivers licences.

So if you do decide to go the RealID route, double check what documentation is required on their website, it may save you an extra trip.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:34 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I'm not totally sure but I think you will need a real ID drivers license to get on an airplane. People and states that have not complied will have to show a passport. No real ID, no passport = no plane ride
Be advised that all documents submitted are scanned and sent to Tallahassee. Another great central location for hackers to get our personal info.

Last edited by d4g4m; 10-21-2017 at 07:52 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I don't have a RealID and I've gotten on airplanes several times without it and without a passport. My old FL DL seems to be good enough. In fact, until I saw this thread, I never heard of it before.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
^^^^
Real ID requirement for air travel in not in effect yet. The requirement date has been extended because some states have not met requirements.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:49 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I think everyone has to eventually get the "realID." So if the OP just gets simple renewal now, he may have to go in person next time with proper documents. I am not certain of this, however this buys him quite a few years.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:29 AM

733 posts, read 760,873 times
Unless you maintain a current passport, take the time to get a RealID. If you ever need to fly in the future, you'll be glad you got it done.

It is not needed today. It will be required to fly in 2018. From DHS:
Quote:
Starting January 22, 2018, passengers who have driver’s licenses issued by a state that is not yet compliant with REAL ID and that has not received an extension will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel. Please see TSA’s website for a list of acceptable forms of identification. Passengers who have licenses issued by a state that is compliant or that has an extension to become compliant with REAL ID requirements may continue to use their licenses as usual. For a list of states already in compliance or with an extension visit DHS’s REAL ID webpage. DHS continually updates this list as more states come into compliance or obtain extensions.

Starting October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need to present a REAL ID-compliant license or another acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel. A REAL ID compliant license is one that meets, and is issued by a state that complies with, the REAL ID Act’s security standards.
Since FL is compliant and offering RealIDs, it sounds like it would be required as of 1/22/2018. However, a Washington Post article adds "Residents with older, non-compliant IDs can continue using them for domestic air travel until Oct. 1, 2020."

So maybe you're good for a few years, until 2020. But eventually you'll probably need it, so I'd just get it done and not have to worry about it.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:46 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Get whichever driver license you want, but get a passport also...
If one ever travels out of US/overseas the passport will work, the DL will not, in most cases.

I don't know anyone that doesn't have a passport.
GL, mD

Old 12-21-2017, 04:51 PM

8,264 posts, read 4,666,091 times
There is some excellent information on the Homeland Security website here:

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

From the above web link:

REAL ID does NOT apply to the following:

Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification
Voting or registering to vote
Applying for or receiving Federal benefits
Being licensed by a state to drive
Accessing Health or life preserving services (including hospitals and health clinics), law enforcement, or constitutionally protected activities (including a defendant’s access to court proceedings)
Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations

---------------------------------------------------

So this means if you are pulled over by police a regular driver's license is fine for identification. You can look on the USA map from the link I provided and see that Florida is currently a RealID compliant state. What this means is that domestic air travel from Florida will require the RealID (or US passport) by October 1, 2020. Also individuals currently seeking access to military bases and most federal facilities must have the RealID driver license (or a US passport).

--------------------------------------------------

*Just to be clear that October 1, 2020 deadline only applies to domestic air travel. If you know that you won't be doing domestic air travel or entering a federal facility - there is no law that says you must have a RealID driver license (even beyond October 1, 2020).

Last edited by wondermint2; 12-21-2017 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: