Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is the proximity of TB to satisfaction with this area?
Essential 2 9.52%
Important 4 19.05%
Added Bonus 4 19.05%
Not Important 11 52.38%
Negative 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 01:56 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times

Advertisements

City Data is hardly a complete sample size, but I was at least curious on what some people thought, as follows.

5 Essential: I wouldn’t choose to live in a place that wasn’t somewhat close to a major city’s amenities.
4 Important: Proximity to TB is a major benefit of area. Regularly take advantage of amenities up there.
3 Added Bonus: Not essential to be near a bigger city/metro, but nice to have the option.
2 Not Important: Rarely if ever up there, limited interest in activities/stuff that might be there.
1 Negative: TB is too close for my taste, in fact this area is getting too busy/big city for me.

Add your thoughts as they are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 10:08 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I wasn't really clear on what you were asking because you said "SRQ" (I thought you were talking about the airport) and "Tampa Bay" (I thought you were talking about proximity to the actual "bay" LOL).

Now that I see your explanation, I would say it's "essential", but mostly from a healthcare perspective. I came from a major city up north with many top-notch teaching hospitals, and even from the suburbs we regularly took advantage of these facilities for complex medication situations or for second opinions. Therefore, in my retirement in FL, I still want to be as close to a major city as possible. Hence, I would not want to live in a rural area like The Villages.

Other than that, I find most of the amenities I enjoy (shows, restaurants, shopping) available in Sarasota. I rarely go to Tampa for anything other than the airport.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 AM

21 posts, read 36,659 times
Yes I thnk it's very important and perhaps essential in a few ways. Anyone who asserts it's not at all important to them must already live in an ALF, nursing home, or perhaps live in a survivalist camp off the grid.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I put not important. If it wasn't for TPA, I would never need to go to Tampa for anything....or want to, for that matter.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
A few runs to TPA to pick up friends/fam flying in/flying out, maybe one trip per winter season to see stuff in St Pete, but otherwise I wouldn't care...
GL, mD

Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
3 - not a huge deal but like having the airport for more non-stop destinations, and will go up there for sporting events (Lightning hockey), and cigars (Ybor City).

Looking for a cheap ride to the TPA airport right now as a matter of fact Saturday morning. Geez, everyone wants $100. Seems to much for 1 hour 15 minutes each way and gas at $2.29/gallon.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Thank you to all for your thoughts.

I personally voted 5, with two primary reasons: TPA, and Sports (SRQ is arguably the largest metro area without any college or pro teams in it, aside from Grand Rapids, MI), though, in thinking about it, I might revert that to a 4. The Schrodinger's Cat type thinking of Tampa being entirely removed from the map, would logically mean that the SRQ area would automatically then be host to some of those things TPA now provides/hosts. I think beach43ofus hits it most directly for me, though perhaps with more enthusiasm overall. I think by it's very nature, a major city might tend to offer more things (not even just sports), but just the unique mix of vibrancy, walkability, etc. Ybor is a priority for me, but not as much for the cigars or even the nightlife, but because of the unique cultural history it has, and the fact that it provides a more traditionally urban/Euro feel (during the day) than most places in the region (DTSP does this also, though not quite as character filled, it is perhaps more inviting and more ostensibly walkable/arty). Sports and Airport are again probably the two biggest gets for me though.

Interesting to hear the diversity of opinion, and I really do appreciate hearing it. I would tend to agree that Sarasota-Bradenton area can match on many things, including shopping, food (perhaps more high end places/good seafood here than in many parts of TB), and especially culture (Sarasota and Saint Petersburg have among the best cultural scenes in the Sun Belt, especially given their size, where Tampa, theatre/events aside, isn't quite as strong in that regard). As far as food, the one thing I would say about Tampa and Saint Petersburg is that in many cases you seem to get more for what you pay, and also, by it's very nature (size), there are more places/concepts to try, plus, a wider range of international/ethnic options (simply a reflection of increased diversity). That being said, most any ethnic food option can even be found in SRQ. Interesting perspective re: healthcare.

Hope you are able to find a better deal than that, beach43ofus! Goodness, for that, I think you could rent a car (a higher end one, even), for a couple hours each time and do significantly better. Have you checked Uber? I just did check, and it shows the low end for a ride from Bradenton is 50$. Must be that Uber is not as active in this area as it is in other cities, I found way better deals than that when we were vacationing in Greater SF. I definitely wish there was more of a regional transit option. I think even a 15-20$ daily RT bus service to say, TPA and DT up there between the ones up here would work and would be relatively popular. https://www.waze.com/carpool/ This app may be useful for you though I'm not certain how many people use it. I'm positive you aren't the only person heading to the airport, especially this Saturday. Good luck with your search. Personally, other than the fact that I'm busy Saturday, a Cigar City brew/Cuban from Aguila, and I'd call it even lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area