Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,643 times

Advertisements

I'm a gay man living on the southeast coast of Florida. I'm looking for a quieter lifestyle. I've been to Sarasota and like the well kept look of the area. I'm not a barfly, but would like to live in an area where I would feel safe and comfortable being out in the community. Would Sarasota be a good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 03:24 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD6166 View Post
I'm a gay man living on the southeast coast of Florida. I'm looking for a quieter lifestyle. I've been to Sarasota and like the well kept look of the area. I'm not a barfly, but would like to live in an area where I would feel safe and comfortable being out in the community. Would Sarasota be a good choice?
If you're a nice person, people will be nice.

If you're a jerk, people won't like you.

Nobody here cares if you're gay. Seriously. Nobody cares. People mind their own business.

If you are looking for a "lifestyle" of parades and bars and celebration of LGBT lifestyle, you won't find that here. Because no one cares if you are gay. This is not like the east coast where being gay makes you a mini celebrity or garners you attention.

People here mind their own business. What they want and what WILL get you noticed? Being a friendly neighbor.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
I would agree with the above. No one cares - more libertarian in terms of the way people think. That cuts BOTH ways - they don't care if you are....or if you aren't.

There are some small gay clubs but you'd probably have to go to St Petes or Tampa for more of a scene. But there is a heavy arts scene for such a small town.

I think the choice of a particular residence may be of some importance. For example, we do have a lot of Amish and Menonite and I don't know their views on neighbors (I assume they leave people alone too)...

What type of housing were you considering? There is a shortage of both apartments and other real estate also some large apt houses are being built (actually finished) as we speak. Look for them in the Rosemary District.

Good Luck,

Old 11-15-2017, 08:05 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Half of my family is gay and they live in Sarasota and are very happy there.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 AM

21 posts, read 36,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD6166 View Post

No one really cares about your being a homosexual. However if you're flaunting or advertising your homosexuality to everyone you meet or live next door to, they, like most people, might not really want to deal with you at all.

Being a homosexual doesn't mean you're in some sort of "protected class", or are somehow special...you're no such thing. It's got to be understood however, that some people, even here, might not or do not like homosexuals, that's life ! Most might not care one bit as well. Face it, no one is obligated to make you, a homosexual, to "feel comfortable" about anything. No one is going to throw you a block party for moving here and for being a homosexual (or anything else). In fact no one is going to celebrate you either. Sarasota and Bradenton is not San Francisco, it's a pretty normal, fairly quiet community with normal, traditional Mid-America social values and leanings.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
I think the OP has to take into account that this isn't the first or second or third time this question has been asked.

And this question is getting tired.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I think the OP has to take into account that this isn't the first or second or third time this question has been asked.

And this question is getting tired.
The answers with full "Daddy is yelling at you" explanations are even more tired.

The first answer was the right one.

Now- besides who floats your boat, there are things like hot weather, traffic, bugs, homeless and lots of other qualities - good and bad - to living in SRQ...

So I think it is safe to put aside that basic question "can I be happy there?" as a Yes....and work on "will I be happy there (neighborhood, things to do, weather, location, food, etc)....

There is quite a good food scene but not up to the NYC or even New England standards. Mostly chains.....but, we have Trader Joes, good bagels, Whole Foods and a number of other health food stores.

We have Yoders Amish Market for great produce at great prices!

Everyone has their differences in terms of food - we are veggie, so we often prefer eating "in" or going to Whole Foods for the Cafe. We do like Sweet Tomatos (salads, soup, breads, potatos, pasta all you can eat) once every 10 days or so.

There are also a number of new eateries. Now...without upsetting anyone....some eateries are pretentious. That is, you can spend a lot of money and look at painting of Italy but when the bill comes you'll see the airfare to Italy.....just joking, but you know what I mean...;

Oh, we have WaWa now....if you are from the Northeast, especially Philly area, you will celebrate.

Seriously, tho, most of the eateries look better than they taste. You'll be cruising Armands Circle and feel as if you are in the best of Europe and then stop in and eat and.....well, it won't be bad, but it usually isn't world class.

Some of this may change with the new places opening in the Westfield Mall and elsehwhere - and, hey, there is always Cheesecake Factory at the big mall (and everything else there too!).

Hope you are able to make it to SRQ...and don't worry about sexuality. Truth is, many of the retirees there have even forgotten what they liked.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:56 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I honestly have no idea why people ask this question - I have lived in Sarasota since 1981, and it has always been popular with gays. It isa laid back artsy city, no one cares. People here are mostly nice and friendly, so if you are nice and friendly you will have no problem.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,803 times
After all, you know, there is a road in Sarasota called Fruitville Road.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:25 AM

704 posts, read 771,563 times
Craigiri is totally correct about the food/restaurant scene here or anywhere close imho. It's average - maybe. It has turned out to be my biggest disappointment since we moved here. Our solution has been that we cook at home more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area