Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:15 PM

155 posts, read 1,052,845 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if this is a high crime area of Sarasota, fl near gillepsie park if anyone knows it is greatly appreciated as i may be working in this area, thank you very much for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 23,519 times
anything north of fruitville road (which that is) is a highER crime area. gillespie park is funny. some run down places next to homes priced in the half millions. it's been a rejuvenation project for some time. it is a great location in that it's right in downtown sarasota which is a great place to be.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:03 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
Just wondering if this is a high crime area of Sarasota, fl near gillepsie park if anyone knows it is greatly appreciated as i may be working in this area, thank you very much for your response.
This area has high crime around it, but it is going to be the "next big area" of gentrification with downtown pushing it's way North...Florida is a "high crime area".... jusk kidding, but kinda not...

If you know where you will be working and can visit the area, the best method of determining things would be to take a drive around the area at 7 a.m., noon, 5 p.m. and around 10 in the evening....maybe midnight on a weekend....at those hours, you'll see all the creepy crawlers so you can make your own determination.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
This area has high crime around it, but it is going to be the "next big area" of gentrification with downtown pushing it's way North...Florida is a "high crime area".... jusk kidding, but kinda not...

If you know where you will be working and can visit the area, the best method of determining things would be to take a drive around the area at 7 a.m., noon, 5 p.m. and around 10 in the evening....maybe midnight on a weekend....at those hours, you'll see all the creepy crawlers so you can make your own determination.

From what I've been told from someone still living in Gillespie Park, it still has problems with crime. It's a funny thing about Sarasota - it's a beautiful and very pricey town, but it has some areas near town which have become much more expensive yet still have a lot of problems. We lived in Laurel Park, and the last time we visited (last year) we drove past our old home and there was a HUGE WALL built around it.

Anyway, as "Ladywithafan" stated above you need to check out the area for yourself. I think it's going to be awhile before that area truly gentrifies, since we are in a down market and that is sort of the "forgotten stepchild" part of town.

JMO

Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 AM

148 posts, read 604,690 times
Default what a shame about crime issues

My sister and I were in Sarasota just yesterday and she wanted to see her old house she rented when she lived in Sarasota yesterday.

It turned out to be in the Gillespie area and I saw a neat craftsman style bungalow that was for sale. It was built in 1994, but looked authentic like it was built in the old days. My sister commented that next door the car in the driveway had that 'mob car' look and some of the streets looked 'iffy'. She also said it should be an area that would be a good investment (gentrification deal) because it is so close to downtown. But it is always these social crime issues driving people to these gated subdivisions, etc.

I have a question, actually 2---

Are Southgate and Gulfgate safe (and likely to be for a good while)?

Are these 2 areas out of flood/evacuation zones?

I'd love to own a home on one hand, but with all the extra issues we are facing in Florida, and to get what I want in an area, I may feel better renting an apartment (if didn't have a big dog, would feel more relaxed with just an apt.).

Just a side note, I visited Mt. Dora last week and it looked like the whole town was up for sale! (Maybe a little hyperbole, but not totally). Could say it is an opportunity, but then again, what the heck is going on that everyone is pulling out? (property taxes, homeowners insurance issues...mass psychology fear or it really is a reality check that most people can't afford the extra carrying costs of homes in Florida).

Well, sorry for venting (sure!.

Any insight on the 2 questions about Southgate/Gulfgate appreciated!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
My sister and I were in Sarasota just yesterday and she wanted to see her old house she rented when she lived in Sarasota yesterday.

It turned out to be in the Gillespie area and I saw a neat craftsman style bungalow that was for sale. It was built in 1994, but looked authentic like it was built in the old days. My sister commented that next door the car in the driveway had that 'mob car' look and some of the streets looked 'iffy'. She also said it should be an area that would be a good investment (gentrification deal) because it is so close to downtown. But it is always these social crime issues driving people to these gated subdivisions, etc.

I'd love to own a home on one hand, but with all the extra issues we are facing in Florida, and to get what I want in an area, I may feel better renting an apartment (if didn't have a big dog, would feel more relaxed with just an apt.).

Just a side note, I visited Mt. Dora last week and it looked like the whole town was up for sale! (Maybe a little hyperbole, but not totally). Could say it is an opportunity, but then again, what the heck is going on that everyone is pulling out? (property taxes, homeowners insurance issues...mass psychology fear or it really is a reality check that most people can't afford the extra carrying costs of homes in Florida).

Well, sorry for venting (sure!.

Any insight on the 2 questions about Southgate/Gulfgate appreciated!
Hi Rox -

It is my opinion that Southgate and Gulfgate are good, solid safe areas and will remain so. I recently recommend them in another post to someone. Definitely stay out of the downtown 'hoods - too many transients.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:58 AM

Default gillespie area, etc.

Thanks, gypsychic!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM

172 posts, read 472,494 times
Smile Sarasota Neighborhoods

Yes, these are 2 safe, family friendly areas. I would agree that staying south of Fruitville is a good choice. Another safe, affordable area to consider is Terrace Gardens, Ringling Park and Paver Park Estates. These have easy access to downtown( 5-10 Minute bike ride through Payne Park), and are in a safe, quiet, friendly neighborhood. Some other areas are Alta Vista and Arlington park... father south of downtown but still nice.

If you are on the mainland you will be fine. The Key dwellers have a majority of the issues with flooding and insurance.

Best!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Default helpful

Thanks, dishing the 9411, for the extra areas to know about and feedback on mainland!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:00 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I love Southside Village as well, which is close to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area