Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:22 PM

25,161 posts, read 12,317,093 times

Advertisements

Never owned, or bought, a pool before. What % of original cost can we expect 8 years from now when we sell? Will not having any pool kill our chances of selling our home? Spa?

I dont like the look of the pavers for decking. Travertine is very costly. Anyone out there have coralstone, limestone, or sandstone? Are these less costly than Travertine? How do they wear? Anything else I should be exploring? I know poured concrete cracks. I dont like the tiny pebbles or the flagstone, or slate. How to prevent weeds from growing up in between all these alternatives?

Any brand of coating we should avoid? Which is the best value of cost verus wear? I'm being told Diamond is the best.

What about pump brands or specs? Best value for longevity and power usage?

I'm buying the dark metal cage not the White, but what else do I need to know about cages?

We are going with Salt, so that's a done deal. It will be heated with a heat pump, not gas.

Anything special to know about spas?

I prefer not to look up the old threads on this because technology changes so fast. I'm spending $70,000+ so want the latest information.

Advantages/disadvantages of having the pool built same time as the home? I realize added cost to do it later, but any other considerations? Our builder will only allow "their" pool company to build it simultaneously, but I'm reading some negative stuff about them on the web. I've found another with excellent ratings on the web.

I'm looking for advice from those who have recent real life experience with all these topics, or someone who has worked in this field in the past year.

We are down to 5 days to make the final decision. That was unavoidable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 08:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,002,123 times
If you are spending $70,000 for a pool and have to use the builders pool company, there must be a HUGE present at Christmas time for them.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:49 PM

390 posts, read 603,765 times
I agree $70,000+ is definitely on the extremely high side.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,843,866 times
How are you spending $70K+ without knowing what material the decking will be? Huge range in costs from concrete to all types of pavers.

Cage should match the color of the soffits on your house.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:28 PM

25,161 posts, read 12,317,093 times
The pool I spec'd out (as a total novice) with their designer was using Travertine for the deck. Travertine drove the price way up over pavers, but I cant stand pavers. Pavers look okay in driveways, but not pool decks imho. Its a rectangular pool thats 12.5' x 28' slightly larger than usual. The under roof area of the lanai is larger than usual too which means more decking material.

I need to find another decking material to cut costs. Does anyone know about sandstone, coralstone, or limestone?

I added a shallow area large enough for 2 lounge chairs which added some cost.

Thx for tip of cage needing to match soffits.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,214,396 times
Did you get any other estimates? A pool that size should be less than $40K.

Never heard of the cage matching the soffits. All of the bronze cages i've seen were on houses with white soffits with a bronze gutter on that side. It looks fine.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,843,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Did you get any other estimates? A pool that size should be less than $40K.

Never heard of the cage matching the soffits. All of the bronze cages i've seen were on houses with white soffits with a bronze gutter on that side. It looks fine.
That's with a concrete deck. He's looking at expensive decking. Concrete can be $2/sg ft, cheap pavers start around $9/sq ft and the prices go up from there. He's paying for the deck, not the pool, which is really pricey.

Pool builders will tell you to match the cage to the soffits so you have clean color lines.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Never owned, or bought, a pool before. What % of original cost can we expect 8 years from now when we sell? Will not having any pool kill our chances of selling our home? Spa?

I dont like the look of the pavers for decking. Travertine is very costly. Anyone out there have coralstone, limestone, or sandstone? Are these less costly than Travertine? How do they wear? Anything else I should be exploring? I know poured concrete cracks. I dont like the tiny pebbles or the flagstone, or slate. How to prevent weeds from growing up in between all these alternatives?

Any brand of coating we should avoid? Which is the best value of cost verus wear? I'm being told Diamond is the best.

What about pump brands or specs? Best value for longevity and power usage?

I'm buying the dark metal cage not the White, but what else do I need to know about cages?

We are going with Salt, so that's a done deal. It will be heated with a heat pump, not gas.

Anything special to know about spas?

I prefer not to look up the old threads on this because technology changes so fast. I'm spending $70,000+ so want the latest information.

Advantages/disadvantages of having the pool built same time as the home? I realize added cost to do it later, but any other considerations? Our builder will only allow "their" pool company to build it simultaneously, but I'm reading some negative stuff about them on the web. I've found another with excellent ratings on the web.

I'm looking for advice from those who have recent real life experience with all these topics, or someone who has worked in this field in the past year.

We are down to 5 days to make the final decision. That was unavoidable.

Thanks!
Spend 70K, you might get 20K extra for the house......ask your realtor to pull comps for houses with/without pools.

Buying your pool with your builder means everything is marked up twice.....pool builder sells it to house builder and they sell it to you!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:03 AM

16 posts, read 22,033 times
Find a house already built that a builder is trying to move...new house with the pool already installed, otherwise you're going to be get hosed, but these days, a large pool with a big cage for 70 is close to being right - things have become expensive around here - all new construction now is a least 25-30% overpriced - good luck, I wouldn't touch the pricing of these houses right now.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:31 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,214,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's with a concrete deck. He's looking at expensive decking. Concrete can be $2/sg ft, cheap pavers start around $9/sq ft and the prices go up from there. He's paying for the deck, not the pool, which is really pricey.

Pool builders will tell you to match the cage to the soffits so you have clean color lines.
Concrete deck is the cheapest. Closer to $35K for a pool that size unless the surround is huge. They didn't say how big the cage is so no way to tell. Pavers will run a little more. No surface is worth $35K, somebody is getting screwed.

Putting up a white cage just because a house has white soffits is absurd, especially on a light colored house. In my experience getting estimates, no builder has made that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: