Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:08 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times

Advertisements

Hi Angie,

Well I guess "best schools" could be some what subjective. It looks like you would be looking at all grade levels looking at the age range of children you have. If you are talking strictly academic then I would say Pine View is the best school in the county. If you're looking at sports then PV probably would not be my choice.

Sarasota county has one of the best school systems in the state of Florida. It also has Pine View School for the Gifted, which was ranked the top school in Florida and one of the top schools in the Nation. It is a public school and the requirements are that you live in Sarasota county, have an IQ of 130 or more, pass the achievement tests required and have teacher recommendations. I have two children that attend PV and we are more than pleased with the school. It services grades 2nd-12th. Here's some more info on that subject:
Welcome to Pine View School
Pine View School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Public Elites - Newsweek.com
Pine View wraps up perfect Olympics | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
America's Best High Schools: Gold Medal List - US News and World Report

There are many other fantastic school in Sarasota county. Here's a website where you can see how the schools are rated:
School Accountability Report...
or www.GreatSchools.com

Here are the school districts by zone: http://www.sarasotacountyschools.net...lrp/zones.aspx

Alright, if I were checking out schools other than Pine View these are the schools that I would look into, in order. This is also the order they fall in if you look at the stats on the state of FL.

Southside services most of the downtown area south of Main St. North of Main would be mostly Booker school district. The Palmer Ranch area is mostly Ashton school district. There are other schools in the area but these are ones that I have either had personal experience with or I have friends that have kids in the schools.

Sarasota ranks as one of the top districts in the state by a number of measures, including test scores, graduation rates and teacher compensation.

It offers distinctive programs tailored to different student needs, including Florida's only school for the gifted, the state's largest special needs school and one of a handful of career-focused high schools.

For Elementary
Southside Elementary
Venice Elementary
Ashton Elementary
Cranberry Elementary (North Port)
Taylor Ranch (southern Sarasota county)
Lakeview Elementary
Gulf Gate Elementary
Laurel Nokomis Elementary (mid Sarasota county)
Tatum Ridge Elementary
Garden Elementary
Phillipi Shores
Fruitville Elementary
Englewood Elementary (southern Sarasota county)

For Middle
Sarasota Middle

High School
Riverview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 AM

24 posts, read 68,012 times
Default Venice

I am looking at foreclosures in the Venice area. Can anybody tell me what the best area would be? I am looking to purchase in the next six months as my company will probably shut down by then.

I was looking in Bradenton, but Venice-Sarasota seems to have better supply of homes. PS My wife and I love the beach.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI1955 View Post
I am looking at foreclosures in the Venice area. Can anybody tell me what the best area would be? I am looking to purchase in the next six months as my company will probably shut down by then.

I was looking in Bradenton, but Venice-Sarasota seems to have better supply of homes. PS My wife and I love the beach.
We'd probably need more info to give some good recommendations. Are you looking for gated/non gated? Golf, tennis, fitness room? What age home, does it matter to you? How close to the beach? What price range? What size house? Are schools a concern?

I sell many of the foreclosures in the area but I wouldn't limit it to just them. They are generally the best deals right now but I wouldn't rule out other non foreclosures.

Good luck with it

Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Default Home type

I would prefer a home with a swimming pool, under 10 years old, at least 10k lot size,10-15 mintues to beach will do. Schools are not a concern. Is Venice nicer than Bradenton?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 AM

19 posts, read 43,993 times
Default Foreclosures

I agree with SoFlGal, you should not limit yourself to foreclosures. There are some good deals and you should consider them but there are many sellers who know the market status and are prepared to sell their home at a competitive price.

Also, bank foreclosures take a great deal of patience and the ability to act quite quickly. Once a bank accepts an offer they usually want to close quite soon and will place penalties on a buyer who delays, even if it is for a reason out of his or her control.

The process can be bumpy.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I would prefer a home with a swimming pool, under 10 years old, at least 10k lot size,10-15 mintues to beach will do. Schools are not a concern. Is Venice nicer than Bradenton?

Thanks
I wouldn't say the Venice is nicer than Bradenton. Both have some very charming areas and some really dumpy areas. I was born in Bradenton but I haven't live there in years. It's changed quite a bit since I was a kid-not in a bad way, it's just a lot different. The average age in Venice is 68 but I do know quite a few younger couples that live in Venice. Many of the golfing communities have an older population in general.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 PM

386 posts, read 1,014,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I wouldn't say the Venice is nicer than Bradenton. Both have some very charming areas and some really dumpy areas. I was born in Bradenton but I haven't live there in years. It's changed quite a bit since I was a kid-not in a bad way, it's just a lot different. The average age in Venice is 68 but I do know quite a few younger couples that live in Venice. Many of the golfing communities have an older population in general.
I agree. In looking for a home/community we found Venice to have a high demographic age. As we explored the town, it was just a little too sleepy and quiet. My point of reference is South Jersey/Philly. I don't know what it is about Florida, but the "charming areas" and the "dumpy areas" and the transition from one to the other seem very stark here. I mean sometimes I'm in a nice area and within two blocks it "transitions" to a dump. Strange. Is it zoning or what?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Default ny

I grew up in Brooklyn NY and the reality is anywhere you go there has to be a point where the "good" areas meets the "bad" I would assume the line is much finer in areas that are less expensive and less populated. In Brooklyn is was $millon dollar homes (mostly mobsters) one minute, mid class the next, and poor next.
At this point, 51 years old, I am looking for a quiet middle class area with a little more space between my neighbors.

The important thing is this will not be an investment but a dwelling place to settle in. I have made my money after purchasing two new homes and moving up.

It appears North Port or Venice might be it. I will have to get there and look around.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 PM

386 posts, read 1,014,967 times
Quote:
I grew up in Brooklyn NY and the reality is anywhere you go there has to be a point where the "good" areas meets the "bad" I would assume the line is much finer in areas that are less expensive and less populated. In Brooklyn is was $millon dollar homes (mostly mobsters) one minute, mid class the next, and poor next.
At this point, 51 years old, I am looking for a quiet middle class area with a little more space between my neighbors.

The important thing is this will not be an investment but a dwelling place to settle in. I have made my money after purchasing two new homes and moving up.

It appears North Port or Venice might be it. I will have to get there and look around.

Thanks!
Yes. You're absolutely right. Definitely get into the area and look around. Live there for more than a couple of weeks. Do your research before making a decision.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:00 PM

I have been looking at the listings and would like to come down and scope the area. What is the best part of Nort Port? Can you describe the differences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area