Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 05:10 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I was in Atlanta last week. They are like Florida drivers only without the smarts.
But them dumb Southerners are packing heat, so please be careful up there. I lived there for many years, and saw the barrell of a gun a few times. My middle finger is missing and I cant figure out how to grow it back. It happened at Peachtree Street near the Varisty burger joint. Dude wasnt very smart, but he had great aim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 05:17 PM

8,009 posts, read 4,631,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
wondermint2,
Lemay Ferry Road is every bit as trecherous as 41. Just North of your area, near the Bevo Mill ("1995 Gravois the Bevo Mill is next to us") is very stresful...just ask Steve Mizerany. I know your home turf as well as you do. The South side of St. Louis no picnic. Neither is the North side..Lindbergh Blvd would be the 41 equivalent.

You must have lived there 10+ years ago. St. Louis traffic is horrendously stressful. The area you lived in was the exburbs 10+ years ago, but now, it's suburban gridlock. It abutts the river, so you have that going for you for East-West travel, but North-South travel is trying at best these days.
I moved to Sarasota in May of 2009. The first two years here I lived in the Indian Beach area which was not as bad as where I'm living now in Nokomis (right off of Hwy. 41).

In St. Louis I drove all over the city and county for fifty years. In St. Louis I have lived in the city (off of Lindell Blvd. near Euclid), in the south side on Chippewa (near Kingshighway), also on Garnier (near Morganford & Chippewa). I also lived in Lemay on Avenue F (close to Hwy 55), and University City (near Delmar & Jackson Ave). I also had friends in Olivette, Maryland Heights, and Chesterfield (in the county) so drove there quite a bit. I rarely ever experienced tailgaters and cars trying to squeeze in front me when there isn't space. To be honest I can't even recall it ever happening.

And I'm not a "slow-poke" driver - but when the road is congested with traffic I can't go any faster and that's when I usually get aggressive individuals (primarily on Hwy 41 in Sarasota County) tailgating me which is very frustrating.

Last edited by wondermint2; 12-16-2017 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 05:49 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
No doubt, 41 does have its share of aggressive drivers. We could use more police presence along 41, especially Southside. The speed limit along 41 in South County needs to be reduced from 50-55, to 45 like points North. The aggressive drivers know where the speed limit increases, and its like they are seeing a giant checkered flag at Daytona. We need a few unmarked police cars to cruise that zone from The Oaks/Vamo Southbound towards Osprey/Nokomis/Laurel to the Venice split. I'll bet they find Meth in some of those offenders' cars too.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 PM

8,009 posts, read 4,631,899 times
On a related note Florida is ranked the fifth most expensive state for car insurance (40% above the national average):

https://www.insure.com/press-room/20...-by-state.html

Old 12-21-2017, 08:41 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Rt 41 is a tough road to drive but Rt 436 on the East Coast of Florida make 41 a picnic to drive! I lived in Altamonte Springs for 4 1/2 months and had to get out of there because of the rat race! It was miserable. I was miserable. Rt 4? Unbelievable. Took me 2 hours one time to go three exits. Rt 75 stinks too. Took me 2 1/2 hours to go ONE exit! I choose 41 and back roads to get around.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:21 PM

85 posts, read 85,350 times
I'm thinking many of the complaints about Sarasota traffic may be from folks that never had to commute on a daily basis in the Washington DC/Baltimore/Philly corridor. I'm just smiling while reading how bad 41 is.
Swap with me

Old 12-22-2017, 08:24 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
....obviously, nobody has driven in Omaha, NE lately. This place is just nuts....

Old 12-22-2017, 03:37 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Publix parking lots take the prize. I don't know how there aren't daily accidents.

All the nonsnowbirds, keeping our eyes OPEN at all times, prevent it.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
....obviously, nobody has driven in Omaha, NE lately. This place is just nuts....
I used to, back in 1970.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer47 View Post
I have seen both terrible young and older drivers. Their is enough blame to go around. This just happened recently-An unlicensed teenager was arrested Tuesday on charges of hit-and-run and driving under the influence after he crashed into a Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office vehicle on Interstate 75 and ran away, the Sheriff’s Office says. The post by Florida or bust is quite accurate in my view. Drivers who don't signal, tailgate, drive slowly in the outside lane, pull out in front of others, speed are just a few of many incidents I see everyday. Road rage by these idiots is also common. I found it interesting that seven out of the ten worse states for drivers are considered Southern states.
Try jogging in a place like that. I have. It sucks. A lot of drivers don't give the right-of-way to pedestrians at designated crosswalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area