U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 08:40 PM

12 posts, read 6,855 times

Advertisements

How do the teaching job prospects look in Sarasota for next school year 2018-2019? I may be moving to Sarasota soon. Is there usually an abundance of teaching opportunities or do they tend to be scarce? I'm currently teaching 3rd grade in Pinellas County. I would actually prefer to move into teaching physical education for this next school year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,127 times
perhaps a better chance in Manatee County's system because of massive residential growth

Old 12-28-2017, 10:36 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,086,402 times
The open jobs for external applicants aren't usually posted until June or July. Most are open to internal applicants first, and then they open up whats left. Go to the Sarasota County School District web site and get your paperwork submitted ahead of time. Then you are ready when openings do occur and you can apply.

Web site: Sarasota County Schools - Human Resources

Old 12-31-2017, 11:20 AM

25 posts, read 13,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skolarkev View Post
How do the teaching job prospects look in Sarasota for next school year 2018-2019? I may be moving to Sarasota soon. Is there usually an abundance of teaching opportunities or do they tend to be scarce? I'm currently teaching 3rd grade in Pinellas County. I would actually prefer to move into teaching physical education for this next school year.
Stay in Pinellas. There are about >15 applicants for every elementary position, and that's not including current subs and transferees. I think there was a moratorium on hiring, but it may have been lifted by now.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:03 PM

32,134 posts, read 50,381,282 times
It is difficult to get a contract job in Sarasota
There are many teachers who are elegible to retire who keep hanging on
Unless you have a special skill set you are unlikely to get a job in Sarasota
Plus there are already teachers working as subs who want to go full time
They are a known quantity, have relationships with other teachers and admin from doing fill-in jobs/long-term subs...
My daughter teaches in Sarasota County elementary side and they have had a hiring freeze in the past--had to use a long-term sub (which pays less/no benefits) to fill a vacancy--
Don't know about this year...
All schools are supposed to level classes/teachers after start of school and any vacant spots will be filled with someone from an excess school being rotated to new spot in needy school before anyone is hired...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or