Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:40 PM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times

Advertisements

mba,
You can get into nearly any gated community Sunday's from 1-4PM if there's an open house in that community. Use a real estate search web site and refine your search to open houses. Be sure to check the date of the open house, because some advertise 2 weeks in advance. Print out the 1st page only with the address and pic of the front of the home, and present that to guard gate with a drivers license, and you're in.

Drive around to look for fencing in backyards, or dogs out back (invisible fences). If not, just leave. Nothing says you MUST go to the open house.

We avoided golf course communities (even though I'm a golfer) because golf, as a participant sport, is in decline, and if the golf course goes under, its not good for the surrounding homeowners. This is playing out all over the US, and yes, even here in Florida. You do NOT wanted be become caught up in all of that.

If a golf course community is a "must-have", look at University Park neighborhood (has tennis courts too if I recall). I'm not certain about the fence/dog rules, but I can't imagine they'd prohibit invisible fences. May not allow large dogs, or more than X # of dogs. I'm not a pet person, so am not atuned to such matters. Technically, its in Managtee County/Bradenton, but literally right across the street is Sarasota.

Just a good place to start and they have open houses most Sunday's since its a large community. There's kids in there too, not just reirees. I think it feeds in to Riverview, but double check.

Not sure if Sarasota is a must-have too, if not check out Lakewood Ranch (. Lots of kids out there and there are some good schools.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 01-22-2018 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mba View Post
We are visiting this weekend with a similar question. We aren’t firm about Sarasota yet (job), but if it becomes a reality we might need to move fast so we want to be prepared. We would prefer Riverview HS. We are not tied to gated communities, but like the idea of the associated amenities. Husband likes to golf - kids play tennis - we all like the beach. Price around $500-$750 - around 3000 sq ft. We have 3 cars right now so if parking in the driveway is an issue, we’d need a 3 car garage. We have a dog, so being able to have a fence is ideal. We plan to check out some open houses this weekend while in town for a first “check it out” trip so neighborhood suggestions are welcome!! We don’t have a lot of gated communities where we are right now - how do you attend open houses in one? How do you get access to get in?

Within the Riverview school district, some neighborhoods I would suggest to check out would include:

Arbor Lakes on Palmer Ranch -- new construction, builder still has homes for sale, many of the floor plans offer 3000+ sq ft and some 3 car garages. Great amenities, including clubhouse, tennis, playground, etc. (Note: If you plan to work with an agent later on, be sure to tell the sales reps at the model homes you don't want to register at this time, you will be working with a buyer's agent. Otherwise, your agent might not get paid a commission.)

Turtle Rock -- a somewhat older (2000's built) community in Palmer Ranch. TR offers many of the same amenities as Arbor Lakes.

Deer Creek -- lacks the amenities but is very close to a popular YMCA. Beautiful tree lined streets, lots of larger homes, some with 3 car garages. (Note: Be sure to ask if the home has been replumbed, many of the homes there had issues with pin hole leaks.)

Country Club of Sarasota -- 1980's built homes, many backing up to the TPC golf club, large sized lots (by Sarasota standards). To get the amenities you have to join the optional sports club, golf membership is also optional.

All are gated communities. Arbor Lakes is easiest to access as Taylor Morrison still has model homes open during daytime hours. The others you can probably access on the weekend via open houses.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:00 PM
mba

22 posts, read 30,190 times
Thank you all for the info! Very good suggestions in there. Are there any neighborhoods outside of gated that should be considered? Gated (for us) isn’t a MUST if we still have access to tennis or golf clubs without having to live in a particular community. Here, we have swim/tennis clubs that are not neighborhood-exclusive that we joined. Same for golf (not always combined with swim or tennis, but some are). If we have access to those things outside of gates, that would be fine. We just want a safe neighborhood where kids can ride bikes to a park or friend’s house with little worry - good schools - the usual family concerns.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mba View Post
Thank you all for the info! Very good suggestions in there. Are there any neighborhoods outside of gated that should be considered? Gated (for us) isn’t a MUST if we still have access to tennis or golf clubs without having to live in a particular community. Here, we have swim/tennis clubs that are not neighborhood-exclusive that we joined. Same for golf (not always combined with swim or tennis, but some are). If we have access to those things outside of gates, that would be fine. We just want a safe neighborhood where kids can ride bikes to a park or friend’s house with little worry - good schools - the usual family concerns.

If you don't mind older homes, here are some other suggestions for non-gated neighborhoods:

Gulf Gate Woods (34231) is located south of Gulf Gate and close to the mall. Most of the homes were built in the 1970's. It does have deed restrictions. The homes are mainly ranch style, but they do mostly have split floor plans with the master bedroom separated from the other bedrooms. The kitchens are on the smaller side but most do have formal living/dining and a family room off of the kitchen.

Gulf Gate East is also off of Beneva. The homes were built mainly in the 1980's. Homes there sell for more than Gulf Gate or GG Woods. The lots are large, with winding streets. GG East also has deed restrictions. It's a very well maintained neighborhood. Most of the homes have vaulted ceilings in the main living area and often galley style kitchens, unless owners have updated. Some of the homes have small patio areas in front. Not your typical FL ranch style homes.

Beneva Pines (34233) and Country Place (34233) are both nice, well maintained neighborhoods off of Beneva Road with tree shaded streets. The homes tend to be larger than Gulf Gate. Some are ranch style, some are contemporary and some have somewhat of a retro 50's modern vibe with features such as atriums.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:10 PM

17 posts, read 17,242 times
We are in the same wave of transplants to Sarasota. On our last trip we fell in love with Palmer Ranch area. I wish we would have looked at Arbor Lakes. Is the fact that it runs right up against the 75 freeway in issue? Can you see the freeway from the backyards? (thats what I would think looking at Google maps). Think we might rent first to get feel of the area.
Anyways, my other 2 cents.... Laurel Nokomis school serves the lower part of Palmer Ranch. I have heard good things about this school. And its part of the Sarasota school district. I also read in the Herald-Tribune that they might be building a new school in Palmer Ranch.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,404 times
This is just a FYI regarding palmer ranch schools, specifically (Sandhill Preserve). I have a home in Sandhill Preserve and the schools are Sarasota Middle and Riverview high school. I know this as I had a tenant renting my home last year and her children attended the above. Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:55 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach44 View Post
We are in the same wave of transplants to Sarasota. On our last trip we fell in love with Palmer Ranch area. I wish we would have looked at Arbor Lakes. Is the fact that it runs right up against the 75 freeway in issue? Can you see the freeway from the backyards? (thats what I would think looking at Google maps). Think we might rent first to get feel of the area.
Anyways, my other 2 cents.... Laurel Nokomis school serves the lower part of Palmer Ranch. I have heard good things about this school. And its part of the Sarasota school district. I also read in the Herald-Tribune that they might be building a new school in Palmer Ranch.
I looked in there. I couldnt see I-75 at all due to tall metal fances they erected, and they have also planted a lot of trees that will improve the barrier.

I did notice the sound from I-75, and that turned me off. Depending upon humidity levels and wind direction, it would get better or worse. I went several times to check it out because I too love Palmer Ranch.

Another factor that turned me off was the mobil home park that IS highly visible from the rear portion of the neighborhood, and that's where I was going to need to be to get the lot I wanted. When I was looking, I was shocked the builder didnt do more to block the view of the mobile homes from the lots he was selling.

This is the youngest community I saw in all my house hunting. Tons of kids getting off the busses after school. Mostly young families in this neighborhood.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:06 PM

17 posts, read 17,242 times
Arbor Lakes sounds perfect for us! I have preschoolers, and a neighborhood filled with kids is perfect! But, I have to enjoy my views! Thank you Beach43ofus, sounds like we have same likes! We plan on renting until we find what we like. Hopefully not longer than 6mos. But, what if I decide I really wished I lived closer to the beach!!?
When ya' all say west of the trail, do you mean the Tamiami?

Old 03-19-2018, 06:32 AM

4 posts, read 3,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrburke16 View Post
Hi! I am planning a trip down and am looking to know what are the best gated communities with amenities for 40 something parents with younger kids in Sarasota county? I would like to research before I visit in 2 weeks to try and narrow it down m..looking for home range to be $450-650k..thanks!
Hi,
I'm wondering how you made out with your search for homes. My husband and I are looking for a single family home in SWFL. Sarasota is an area I'd like to consider. My husband is leaning toward Naples. Our price range is similar to yours. Our children are in college, so school district isn't of primary concern. I'd also like to be 15-20 from downtown Sarasota. Have you seen any communities you like? TIA.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM

32 posts, read 52,760 times
Esplanade on Palmer Ranch is a new community that you may be interested in:

https://www.taylormorrison.com/new-h...anch-community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area