U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:44 AM

67 posts, read 49,449 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am planning a trip down and am looking to know what are the best gated communities with amenities for 40 something parents with younger kids in Sarasota county? I would like to research before I visit in 2 weeks to try and narrow it down m..looking for home range to be $450-650k..thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM

3,592 posts, read 5,150,707 times
It would be helpful to know how many bedrooms, baths you are looking for, as well as pool/ no pool and square footage that works best for your needs. Since you mentioned younger children, would it be safe to assume school districts are also important?

Knowing this info would make it easier to suggest specific communities to check out.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 PM

609 posts, read 404,192 times
Fortunately for you, there are probably many options. Many new communities in the Venice/North Port/"West Villages" area are under construction and would meet your criteria. Sarasota County is pretty large - do you want to narrow it down at all? And Lakewood Ranch is nice, but is in Manatee County; are you sure you don't want to consider that also?

Old 01-18-2018, 10:37 AM

67 posts, read 49,449 times
Hi all! Thank you! We definitely want to be in Sarasota county schools---we are not looking for "outskirts" of Sarasota...4+ bedrooms 2800-3200sq new construction or built after 2012zz

Old 01-18-2018, 03:47 PM

Nokomis, Venice, North Port -- all are Sarasota county school districts. However, if you mean you wish to stay within the immediate Sarasota area, your newer construction home choices are limited by the fact that few builders include floor plans of 2800+ with 4 or more bedrooms. They tend to market more towards empty nesters and baby boomers looking for an "active lifestyle," so most floor plans are 2300 sq ft or less. If you're willing to look within Lakewood Ranch and/or Parrish, Venice and/or North Port, then there are definitely more options for gated communities with larger homes.

But, for Sarasota proper, Arbor Lakes on Palmer Ranch seems to tick off all of your boxes of must haves. It's a Taylor Morrison built community and the school districts are Ashton Elementary, Sarasota Middle and Riverview High. The builder still has some new home inventory but most of the community has been built out, so resale homes.

Sandhill Preserve, located in the southern end of Palmer Ranch, meets most of your criteria. Except that the school districts are Laurel Nokomis and Venice instead of Sarasota. Much of the newest construction within Palmer Ranch is in the southern section of the master planned community, so Nokomis/ Venice school districts.

If you are willing to consider homes built in the 1990's, then I would suggest checking out Turtle Rock.
About Turtle Rock – Turtle Rock on Palmer Ranch

Old 01-19-2018, 09:25 AM

114 posts, read 149,011 times
I would definitely check out The Landings. West of trail, less than 5 miles to SK and 15 minutes to downtown , beautifully maintained, large lots and most homes 2,800sf+. Geared towards tennis player. 8 clay courts, nice fitness center and large salt water pool. There is also a large preserve area on the inter coastal with a very nice fishing gazebo. Seems more families are discovering The Landings.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 AM
mba

22 posts, read 23,186 times
We are visiting this weekend with a similar question. We aren’t firm about Sarasota yet (job), but if it becomes a reality we might need to move fast so we want to be prepared. We would prefer Riverview HS. We are not tied to gated communities, but like the idea of the associated amenities. Husband likes to golf - kids play tennis - we all like the beach. Price around $500-$750 - around 3000 sq ft. We have 3 cars right now so if parking in the driveway is an issue, we’d need a 3 car garage. We have a dog, so being able to have a fence is ideal. We plan to check out some open houses this weekend while in town for a first “check it out” trip so neighborhood suggestions are welcome!! We don’t have a lot of gated communities where we are right now - how do you attend open houses in one? How do you get access to get in?

Old 01-22-2018, 12:08 PM

10,770 posts, read 3,288,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mba View Post
We are visiting this weekend with a similar question. We aren’t firm about Sarasota yet (job), but if it becomes a reality we might need to move fast so we want to be prepared. We would prefer Riverview HS. We are not tied to gated communities, but like the idea of the associated amenities. Husband likes to golf - kids play tennis - we all like the beach. Price around $500-$750 - around 3000 sq ft. We have 3 cars right now so if parking in the driveway is an issue, we’d need a 3 car garage. We have a dog, so being able to have a fence is ideal. We plan to check out some open houses this weekend while in town for a first “check it out” trip so neighborhood suggestions are welcome!! We don’t have a lot of gated communities where we are right now - how do you attend open houses in one? How do you get access to get in?
Since you are not familiar with HOAs, you need a realtor and be VERY specific on what you are looking for.

It's a whole different ball game.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM
mba

22 posts, read 23,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Since you are not familiar with HOAs, you need a realtor and be VERY specific on what you are looking for.

It's a whole different ball game.
We certainly will use one when the time comes! Right now, I don’t know if I even like Sarasota - husband has been & does (& thinks I will) - let alone any neighborhoods - I’ve been to the other places on our “short list”, so I at least know where to start in those locations. We are in an HOA now, but it is not terribly restrictive & our neighborhood isn’t gated. When we were scoping out neighborhoods here, we were able to drive around freely in & out of neighborhoods getting a feel for them, the house types, etc. I don’t know how that works in gated areas. I’ve been reading & reading, but need to see for myself.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba View Post
We certainly will use one when the time comes! Right now, I don’t know if I even like Sarasota - husband has been & does (& thinks I will) - let alone any neighborhoods - I’ve been to the other places on our “short list”, so I at least know where to start in those locations. We are in an HOA now, but it is not terribly restrictive & our neighborhood isn’t gated. When we were scoping out neighborhoods here, we were able to drive around freely in & out of neighborhoods getting a feel for them, the house types, etc. I don’t know how that works in gated areas. I’ve been reading & reading, but need to see for myself.

In general, the newer the community, the longer the list of restrictions. Most of the newer, gated communities will restrict what you can do to the exterior of your home (need architectural committee approval for changes), parking, fencing, number of pets per household (many newer ones restrict you to 2 or 3 pets per household), etc. If the HOA provides the lawn mowing services, then it's doubtful you'll be allowed to fence your back yard at all. In communities with fencing allowed, most do not allow fencing if you back up to a lake or preserve (wooded) area and they will tell you what type of fencing you can put up if it's allowed. For these reasons, I always tell buyers to get a copy of the restrictions for the neighborhood BEFORE you write an offer on a home there.

As to gated communities, you pretty much have 2 options -- attend weekend open houses where the seller/agent make arrangements for access for buyers or have an agent take you around to the neighborhoods you are most interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area