Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 03:16 PM
mba mba started this thread

22 posts, read 30,202 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Sarasota - family with 2 school-age boys. I keep reading about how bad traffic is in Sarasota - since I am usually the one running the kids to their activities - taking them to the parks & beach - etc. etc. - I am wondering how bad it really is? We will be moving from the DC metro area, so we are very used to traffic - very bad traffic. A few of the reasons for moving away is warmer weather, hope to slow down a bit, & - a big one - get away from some of the traffic!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Compared to DC, this area will be a breeze. 8 of 12 months, it seems at times we have the roads to ourselves, so when the tourists/snowbirds return (and all the added activity that surrounds them), its quite a contrast. So, we complain a lot.

There are maybe 5 roads to avoid at certains times of day, 4 months out of the year. We don't have any parkways, toll roads, or by-pass highways, so its all surface streets with lots of traffic lights, so its a slog. Your average speed will be low unless you are on I-75.

Throw into the mix, lots of elderly drivers, drivers who are unfamiliar with how to get places, and the ragers who just can't find the patience to deal with it all, and it can get dicey.

I just remind myself to be patient with others, drive more defensively, and avoid the hot spots.

After dark, the traffic thins out considerably, even during peak season.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 AM

23 posts, read 31,557 times
I have kids at two different schools (no bus to my house) and I do drop off and pick up everyday and I live on Longboat Key. The nice thing about doing the school run is that you are not driving during the high traffic times because you leave before it starts and pick up before the evening traffic starts. The traffic even at its worst does not compare to DC. It certainly can be aggravating with the elderly, tourists, and construction vehicles but that is the price you pay for living somewhere everyone wants to be. And if you live here year round most of the year traffic isn't a problem.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Both

Old 01-23-2018, 08:24 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
I lived in Sarasota after spending my entire life in NY. If you're coming from DC, you'll find the traffic in Sarasota laughable. Yes, it gets clogged up sometimes, but it's nothing like traffic in the northeast.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I was just up north for a week - in two different states. In short conversations, people told me "I'm moving to Ft. Myers area". When I mentioned we were in Sarasota, they said "the traffic there is horrible".

So it seems perception - and perception is everything - may be a little different.

Also, the population is set to at least double. Will it still be a breeze then?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM

252 posts, read 371,229 times
Traffic is relative of course. Like Visa, its everywhere you want to be. People love to blame tourism, but in SWFL its mostly population growth with tourism adding 25% in season. Anyone who's done any travelling will tell you that 'tourism' is a worldwide problem, and SWFL is actually getting off easy. All over europe its a nightmare, with zero infrastructure to handle the people/traffic. Venice Italy is unbearable. Even Toronto can be unbelievable with a 20 lane freeway servicing it. Everybody travels now, not like the old days. With the rise of Chinese tourism, numbers are out of control the world over.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Also, the population is set to at least double. Will it still be a breeze then?

It's already doubled many times, and it's only bad in a few areas 4 months each year.

It's more than doubled between 1980 and 2016.

It's grown by 50% since I last lived here, and I dont see that much change.

Even in 1990, 41 near the Hospital was a mess Dec-March, as was Fruitville, and Bee Ridge.

I will say University Pkwy and Clark have worsened due to growth in Palmer Ranch, Lakewood Ranch, and the UTC Mall. Stinckney Point Road going over to Siesta key has gotten worse.

I-75 up around 64 and 70 seems to clog up now too, but I think that is construction related.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:09 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Traffic is relative.

Quality of drivers is not. They are horrific and you really do risk an accident every time you drive here during season, between the tourists and the snowbirds. Very dangerous. It's nothing like commuter traffic where people drive aggressively. People here drive stupid. You can't defend yourself from stupid. Stupid is unpredictable.

Anyone else counting the days till season is over?

Old 01-25-2018, 11:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It's already doubled many times, and it's only bad in a few areas 4 months each year.

It's more than doubled between 1980 and 2016.

It's grown by 50% since I last lived here, and I dont see that much change.

Even in 1990, 41 near the Hospital was a mess Dec-March, as was Fruitville, and Bee Ridge.

I will say University Pkwy and Clark have worsened due to growth in Palmer Ranch, Lakewood Ranch, and the UTC Mall. Stinckney Point Road going over to Siesta key has gotten worse.

I-75 up around 64 and 70 seems to clog up now too, but I think that is construction related.
It doesn't work that way! Fruitville and many other roads are already as big as they can possibly get. So a doubling from 50K in the country to 100K in the county means 50K more on the same road.

A doubling from 200K to 400K means 800% on the same road.

Look at 41 near the center of town. They are going to put in a traffic circle to handle what will be 10-14 lanes of traffic. It won't work. I predict accidents daily.

Don't forget - we had a break from 2005 to about 2014 - the Great Recession. Population was probably lost or at least didn't grow much. Money was tight - less cars, less trips. It's only in the last 3 years that you would start to see the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area