U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM

470 posts, read 950,672 times

Advertisements

We have been looking down in Cape Coral and are now up here in Sarasota to look for a new home.

We need around 2000 square feet, 3/2, and a pool in a screened lanai for under $350K.

Will we be able to find that in Sarasota, in a nice neighborhood, in a safe area?

Are there areas in Sarasota we should avoid?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 08:27 PM

70 posts, read 77,159 times
I sent you a message!

Old 01-21-2018, 09:55 PM

3,580 posts, read 5,139,354 times
Some of the people answering questions on this forum are, like myself, real estate agents. A good real estate agent is very familiar with the neighborhoods where he/she works. But because the Fair Housing Act, agents can't legally share all of that information with you.

City-Data actually provides crime stats data, which can help you in your search. Here are some other possible options to try:

Welcome to Sarasota County Sheriff's, FL

http://www.sarasotapd.org/

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/fl/sarasotacounty

As to your other criteria, yes there are a number of neighborhoods that meet your basic info. However, it would be helpful to have a little more info, such as:
Are you open to older homes? As in 1980's or 90's built? Or strictly looking for newer homes?
Do you want a deed restricted neighborhood or one without deed restrictions?
What other aspects are you looking for in a neighborhood?
What are your hobbies/interests that may influence where you'd like to live?
Do you want a fenced back yard? (Not all neighborhoods allow them.)
Do you have pets?
Will you want to park cars in your drive or on the street overnight? (Some neighborhoods have parking restrictions.)

The more info, the easier to suggest neighborhoods that may check most if not all of your boxes.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:34 AM

I’m really surprised that the only two responses here are from realtors. When I posted in the Ft. Myers forum, I had responses from people who actually live there. Maybe Sarasoteons (?) aren’t on this forum?

Old 01-22-2018, 08:46 AM

38 posts, read 34,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
I’m really surprised that the only two responses here are from realtors. When I posted in the Ft. Myers forum, I had responses from people who actually live there. Maybe Sarasoteons (?) aren’t on this forum?

I have got a ton of good information using zillow. What I do is find a city that fits my criteria, then I use zillow to see if my house expectations are realistic. If I find something that fits my criteria, then I come here and ask about neighborhoods. I agree that responses from locals is tremendously helpful. Hoping someone chimes in! Realtors are also a good source of information. I wouldn't necessarily discount their advice either. Yes, they want a sale but they also have their reputation on the line and aren't going to send you to a horrible neighborhood.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM

20,933 posts, read 6,129,316 times
I live one mile from DT and there are some houses that closely fit that description.

If you don't care about downtown, the beach, the bay, etc - you can get a cheaper house further inland. You have to also decide on the HOA thing!

In general - if you want to be in the "real" sarasota, you want to look south of fruitville road and west of Beneva.....all the way down south from there to.......well, depends on how much driving you want to do.

We had the Police attend our last neighborhood meeting and give the stats. 18 cars were stolen in a year -17 of them had the keys in them! I came away feeling pretty good.......

Ah, I see the words "new" now. That makes it harder with the pool and screened in and a good location.

It's like real estate anywhere. There is limited space near the water. There is UNLIMITED space once you get over 2 or 3 miles in.

You have decisions to make. Traffic in Sarasota is already bad and will get MUCH worse as population is projected to at least double and no public transit is planned. Is a one hour ride to the beach OK?

The house next to us was recently flipped - everything redone. Pool - 1800 sq feet, large lot, 4 bedrooms and I think 3 or 4 baths. Pool is not enclosed. I think it went for about 330, but -- again - not new. New houses near downtown start at about 400 and no pool at that price.

Maybe a compromise......decide what parts of your life are most important. Hey, some people don't mind driving in traffic I can't do it myself - I walk or bike most places.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:27 PM

Sorry for the slow feedback! I wanted to wait until we had visited a bunch of neighborhoods.

First, I’m not sure how ... but my wording must have come across like we were looking for a ‘new’ home, which we aren’t. I know we can afford new down in Cape Coral, but in no way did I expect that up in this area!

We started in the Venice area, which we liked! We are going tomorrow to the downtown area to eat lunch and hang out and see if we like the vibe. Since we aren’t working with a realtor yet, we could only go see houses in neighborhoods that aren’t gated, and we did find a few homes we really liked, but two of the larger homes I wanted to see were in gated communities, even though the listings didn’t say it.

Then we went north and looked at houses in the Ellenton, Parish and Palmetto areas. Our favorite house was in Ellenton! Loved the neighborhood of Oakleaf Hammock. (I think this is the house where the gate was sitting open, so we went in the neighborhood real fast. )

We liked two areas in Parish ... River Woods and Ancient Oaks.

Today we stayed here in Sarasota and went to 7 homes/neighborhoods ... and really only found one neighborhood and house we liked, which was in Palmer Ranch. We’ve seen neighborhoods that are okay, but the houses are just too small ... we are already downsizing from 3600 square feet, and there is just no way we can go below 2000 sf. We e also seen houses that look nice in the pictures, but the neighborhoods are old, and not everyone is on the same page with taking care of their yards and homes.

Next up is looking at three houses in Bradenton, and then houses in the Lakewood area.

So, our journey continues, and we hope to physically go with a realtor to view homes when we come back around mid February.

I really do not mind hearing input from realtors, but I will only use a realtor that comes with a direct referral from someone that has used them.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:05 PM

2,368 posts, read 2,086,267 times
Good luck with the search! Glad to hear your down here checking out the different areas. We did the same almost 2 years ago. We live in North Port and also love Venice! If it wasn't for the great deal we got on housing in North Port we probably would live in Venice. We're happy with our choice though, great area. Others you mentioned sound great as well. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or