U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 21,760 times

Advertisements

Moving from Michigan and can't decide. Love FL but keep hearing about the the negatives...leaps in taxes, insurance...

Can anybody give me a good comparison between the area and Phoenix, AZ? Been to PhX in summer and I could handle the heat, but never been to FL in summer. I've been in Mi when it's 95 with 99% humidity though!

I've moving from Oakland County, MI and it seems most people from MI move to the West Coast of Fl,///Clearwater...Naples... not sure why that is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 02:40 PM

1,939 posts, read 5,809,305 times
Honestly, Ive never been to Az so I can't really compare. We moved to Fl from Chicago to get away from the cold weather. Chicago is cold, damp and gray most of the year so we wanted to go somewhere warm, and sunny. The summers here are hot, but coming from Chicago, our summers were comparable, just much shorter. If you can handle a summer in MI you'll be fine here, they just last longer..Az has been known to get a bit chilly in the evening as well as in the winter months. If your moving to get away from the cold, FL is the place! We havent worn pants in a year! We also find that we are really welcome here as Northerners : ) Most of the people we run into or meet have lived in the midwest, and have relocated. As far as the costs, property taxes range, but are still pretty inexpensive compared to what we are used to. Depending on where you buy, home prices are affordable also.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM

20 posts, read 51,863 times
Arizona is beautiful, but their market is like ours. We bought property in New Mexico and their taxes have quadroupled too. Keeping it relative is important though. Second homes are always hit harder in property taxes. Florida may pass an across the board tax reform that will help those who are looking for second homes. Naples, Ft. Myers average price homes is much higher than Bradenton. Bradenton property taxe milleage is less than Sarasota. Phoenix house is in a downturn as bad as ours. Be careful ! I know someone there if you would like a referral.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:27 PM

321 posts, read 332,134 times
I vote for Phoenix. While Sarasota is a BEAUTIFUL place, if you need to sustain yourself by being gainfully employed, RUN AWAY!! FAST!! While the whole country appears to be experiencing difficulty with the job market, at least Phoenix actually has professional jobs that pay a decent wage. Sarasota, on the other hand, leaves MUCH to be desired. Even the "menial" jobs are difficult to get. If you don't need a job, are atleast 55, and have plenty of money... c'mon down!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM

1,939 posts, read 5,809,305 times
I don't think thats a fair statement. Their are jobs in Florida for Professionals. The job market is on a decline all over, that includes Phoenix. I am educated and relocated and found a good paying job, as did my husband. My sister and her husband also relocated last summer and both found decent, secure jobs. I know many others that have recently found work. Im not saying the market is great, but you can't say it's worse than anywhere else. The real estate market here is crashing for sure..I also dont think its fair for you to say that you need to have plenty of money or be 55. I relocated as did my family, we are all well under 50 and are doing fine..

Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM

4,830 posts, read 12,999,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantasLittleHelper View Post
Moving from Michigan and can't decide. Love FL but keep hearing about the the negatives...leaps in taxes, insurance...

Can anybody give me a good comparison between the area and Phoenix, AZ? Been to PhX in summer and I could handle the heat, but never been to FL in summer. I've been in Mi when it's 95 with 99% humidity though!

I've moving from Oakland County, MI and it seems most people from MI move to the West Coast of Fl,///Clearwater...Naples... not sure why that is.
#1 & #2 Phoenix heat in the summer is not leak Florida heat; even Michigan heat (and I'm from Michigan) is not like Florida heat/humidity.

#3 It is expensive to live anywhere considered a tourist location. Taxes & insurance will be expensive in any coastal area & most likely on the rise for a number of areas due to hurricane paths out of Florida, accompanying tornados & flooding that goes with storms of such nature...

#4 Due to rising gas costs, you will find everything more expensive anywhere you choose to relocate.

#5 For a long time, most of the people that ended up on the West Coast of Florida came because they got on I-75 from the Midwest and never got off...that's changed to some degree now...

#6 Employability is rough everywhere, more so in Florida because of the northern migration south...if you are a professional, with the degrees, badges & certificates, you will only have an easier time relocating if your company relocates you personally...coming to any part of Florida with no clue of the way the job situation stands is ridiculous; do your homework....

#7 You don't have to be 55, retired or a millionaire to enjoy Sarasota...you just need to know how to play the game of life...we have more young people than you realize....

Do more homework. Phoenix is a HUGE city with urban sprawl. Downtown Sarasota is walkable or bikeable...Sarasota is also just more than downtown...but certainly not comparable employment wise to Phoenix...Phoenix also has dust storms...and I've hear from family members who reside in Tucson that living in AZ isn't all that they thought it was cracked up to be...hence, I've remained in FL instead of moving west....

...and the biggie? There are no beaches in AZ; there are however, beautiful mountain ranges, canyons, access to the four corners region up north...etc...

Old 03-26-2008, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 38,442 times
I have been contemplating moving to Fla. myself. I have a friend there. She has made me a generous offer of allowing me to stay with her until I can get established there. She is in Palm Bay. In turning my attention to the Fla area and checking out commute times, job availability/pay scales weather etc. Staying in Arizona seems like a safer bet to me. Although a lot of conditions are mutually the same, the biggest concern for myself is the shortage of jobs and the low pay. Arizona seems to have more of an abundance of jobs, and the cool thing is that when it starts to get really hot most people actually move away from the valley, back to where the came from - decreasing competition! The jobs pay relatively well, I am a single mother and have done better here financially since moving here. As far as dust storms those are likely to happen generally about 1 month out of the year and it is just dust. We never sustain any real costly damage from those storms. Phoenix is spread out, I have lived here over 5 years and have managed to position my housing within 10 minutes access of 3 of the major highways/interstates to be able to get anywhere in the valley quite easily. We don't have oceans here, but we are only 6 hours from San Diego and the Ca coastline, not convenient, but there nonetheless. We do have a couple of manmade lakes available if you get really desperate for water/activities. I absolutely love Fla but "just-visiting" seems like the better deal.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:34 PM

177 posts, read 220,452 times
Nice post LadyWaFan.
I was reading Skyscaper City last night.I think even though times are tough all over,Sarsota is going to be Huge someday in the scale of being a very with it town.Very rich and expensive and good economics.Real Estate will escalate again.I am a bit disapointed that the boom stopped a lot of plans. Money would have been very much around.
Not sure it would have been good for the ecology and normal Sarasota way would certainly change..
I see good and bad in that. Arizona r Florida?.It depends what you want from life and your circumstance.If your single?Why not try both.
Hope it all works out for you.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
I used to live in Palm Springs Ca. It is very similiar to the weather in Phoenix. I now live in Sarasota. As far as weather goes, the best way to compare it is to look at heat indexes. When it is dry like it is in Phoenix, the heat index is actually lower that the air temp. Another difference is the length of time that that the temperature is very hot. Afternoon storms in the summer have a cooling effect as does the sea breeze. Also the closer to the water, the better the summer days. Here are 2 links to compare Average]Average Weather for Sarasota, FL - Temperature and Precipitation Weather for Sarasota, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Average]Average Weather for Phoenix, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation Weather for Phoenix, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

I have been in both climates and am here in Sarasota. On the hottest days of the year here, you can go out in a boat or swim at the beach.

I guess you cant post links on here. Well if you remove the National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report and enter the city name on top then click averages. I do not want to put up with 110 degree summer days when the winter highs are in the 60's with lows in the low 40's. Sarasota is 70's in January with low 50's at night.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,256 times
Sarasota is a beautiful area. We've been debating between it and the lovely Hill Country west of Austin and San Antonio which has farms, vineyards and ranches. The unemployment rate is very low in Arizona and Texas. Sarasota has the beaches, a trendy area around St Armands and a downtown that is being revitalized. Property taxes are high though. Even as a New Yorker, I am surprised. However, if you're going to be working, Florida has no income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area