Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 03:15 PM

25 posts, read 25,732 times

Advertisements

We are having a hard time finding a house in our price range with a pool. Just wondering people's thoughts on community pools?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Most people seem to like the idea but some find it revolting. It just depends on your point-of-view. If you have any reservations, ask the association if they test the water and how often.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I think Lido Pool is really cool!

Old 02-13-2018, 06:11 PM

85 posts, read 85,566 times
I'm by no means a germophobe, but public pools are disgusting imho. Just look around at the crowded pools and ask yourself how many of those people you think are getting out to go potty. Not to mention the people who are just downright nasty with open sores or p*** poor hygiene. No thanks!

Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM

66 posts, read 60,164 times
Pee Pools are Nasty.

How can anyone actually enter something like that??

Old 02-14-2018, 07:32 AM

733 posts, read 760,873 times
Community pool is the way to go! Now, I'd never use one of those little dipping pools people have in their backyard. Plus my coworkers are regularly talking about a leak, or a pump going out, or the electric bill to heat it, or problems with the solar panels they use to save on electricity for heating it. Plus there is the water treatment - testing, buying and adding chemicals, cleaning it, changing the filter, etc. Personally, I would never want one.

But I understand how people like them. Some love to take a daily dip. Some have kids that play in it regularly, and it's easier than taking them up to the community pool.

But for us, having a community pool is definitely the way to go. Big enough to socialize or actually swim some laps, and when we don't want to use it - no worries, no hassle! Sure, I'm still paying a little for it via HOA fees, but its worth it to us.

Just one perspective.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Along the same lines as MattMN, we added a pool to our house as an afterthought and thought we'd use it all the time since we had a young daughter at the time. We used it a lot in the beginning but, as she got older, we used it less and less. I wouldn't say something was always breaking but it did happen. Eventually, the value was more about extending the living space and having a nice outdoor area to enjoy.

Also to MattMN's point, home pools are typically not really useful for serious swimming. That's not really their purpose. Community pools, OTOH, are often large enough to swim laps and, in my experience, they tend to get very little use.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:04 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
I really dont like the idea of sharing a pool with a possibility of pee in it - adult diapers with poop in it - who the heck knows?

Having a home pool is a hassle - my husband cleans ours - but yes - it costs money to run the pump, buy chemicals, clean it, your wind and home insurance is higher.

But - I also love to jump in the pool after I am very hot - after a bike ride or mowing the lawn - I can go in anytime I want - midnight swims - and it is also nice to look at.

I notice homes without pools are hard to sell and sell for much less.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:56 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
You can get a lower priced home and put the pool in yourself.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You can get a lower priced home and put the pool in yourself.
You can, but have a pool contractor inspect the house/site for suitability before buying. Add it to the contingencies. We have newer neighbors who were told they could put in a pool by their real estate agent. The pool company came out a few months later after their purchase. They could put in a pool, but because of various restrictions, the pool would have to be so small, that neither the homeowners or the pool company would be happy. They could build it, but they didn’t advise it.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-15-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area