Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times

Advertisements

Sarasota’s world-class marine research institution and aquarium, Mote Marine Laboratory, plans to open a new aquarium at Nathan Benderson Park by late 2021, Mote’s president announced at a press conference Thursday.

Huge Mote aquarium proposed for Nathan Benderson Park - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 01:59 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
My first thought was it made no sense but I suppose they don't need to be right by the bay. Anyway, I'm excited to have them here and I just might eventually be a volunteer. :-)

Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
I-75 traffic count = $$$'s. End of story.

See Ruby Falls
Rock City
Georgia Peaches
Georgia Pecans
Florida's Largest Alligator
Totally Nude...need we say more
Tourist Attraction Discounts-Disney Discounts
Ron Jon Surf Shop
and now...Florida's largest aquarium/shark/manatee/sea turtle

Need we say more? This is a local politicians' dream waiting to happen. "Oh, but this one is educational, and saves the oceans"..spare me the manure, and please pass the snake oil. Do you really think we're that stupid? Why are you putting it out by the Interstate? I don't know about you all, but this makes me feel cheap, dirty, abused, and violated.

So much for Sarasota having class and being a beacon of culture for the arts. Now, we're just another roadside tourist attraction. Shame on me for thinking we were something more.

I love Mote Marine for its scientific contributions, but let's not prostitute it into being a roadside tourist attraction. If all the multi million dollar condo's/homes' property taxes are not generating enough revenues, maybe we need new leaders.

Local politicians listen up...fix the; traffic, homelessness, lack of affordable housing, pension funding, schools, beach erosion, over-spending, youth flight, nursing shortage, and crappy zoning issues before you go turning this cultural mecca into a cheap roadside attraction. I realize that's hard work, no fun, and not very glamorous, but that's the job folks.

We didn't vote for you to turn our cherished marine life science center into a Sea World do-over.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,428 times
Wow, Beach43ofus, my sentiments exactly!

We live in Palm Aire off University. The traffic has become unbearable on University. The Mall, 75, shopping centers, all the construction going on, its totally crazy that nothing is done about the roads.

They put the 'divergent diamond' on University which hasn't done a thing. The traffic gets backed up for a mile during season and rush hour.

Now they are adding Mote to the mess here.

I feel like I'm back in NYC! However, traffic and roads are handled better in NY.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:57 AM

39 posts, read 22,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Wow, Beach43ofus, my sentiments exactly!

We live in Palm Aire off University. The traffic has become unbearable on University. The Mall, 75, shopping centers, all the construction going on, its totally crazy that nothing is done about the roads.

They put the 'divergent diamond' on University which hasn't done a thing. The traffic gets backed up for a mile during season and rush hour.

Now they are adding Mote to the mess here.

I feel like I'm back in NYC! However, traffic and roads are handled better in NY.

"Nothing is done about the roads" ?? DEAD WRONG, but..Blame Sarasota County not Manatee

The "diamond" hasn't done a thing ?? DEAD WRONG, very dead wrong

"adding Mote to the mess here" ?? Blame Sarasota County not Manatee

"traffic and roads are handled better in NY" ?? DEAD wrong, laughable and hyperbolic

You live in Pam Aire and the traffic has become unbearable ?? If it's unbearable, sell you house to another newcomer, and move ! easy solution. You shouldn't be burdened. There are lots of NYers on the east coast of Florida who live in quite nice towns and cities who love it there.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:46 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I doubt it will have the traffic impact you are predicting once the initial excitement calms down. I've been to Mote several times and it has never been crowded, IMO. Also, IMO, the diverging diamond works very well although there are minor, short-term backups at some times of the day. It's certainly not comparable to NY, Atlanta, or even Tampa. That's just BS.

Maybe it will get worse but it's not a problem now. Hopefully, they will use signage to route people off 75 from Fruitville. That will take any added pressure off University.

Don't be so negative!

Old 02-10-2018, 06:47 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Note to new comers. When I-75 opened 35 years ago, you couldn't exit at what is now called University Pkwy because it was a single lane dirt road and there was no Cattlemen Rd or Honore Ave cross streets. And when County Line Rd got paved, about 4 years later, it was only one lane, no divider. Lakewood Ranch was just a dream for the developers.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:40 AM

251 posts, read 1,066,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post

Simply not true. I have lived near University and I-75 for the past five years. The diverging diamond has done wonders for traffic flow. With the exception traffic leaving Lakewood Ranch between 4:30 and 6:00pm, there's hardly ever a back up. And during those times it only takes about two light cycles to get through - a total of maybe five minutes.

Furthermore, they have extended Lorraine Road down to Fruitville, which has relieved even more traffic, and once Lakewood Ranch Blvd is completed to the south, you can expect even more relief.

Saying nothing is being done about the roads is preposterous.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:03 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
We are on University Parkway all the time with few issues. Certain times of day/certain days can be a little heavier than others, but traffic flows smoothly nearly all the time. They have improved roads immensely since we moved here years ago. Compared to other congested areas like Brandon, Tampa or Clearwater, this area is a breeze.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 AM

39 posts, read 22,906 times
[quote=Chimpie;50989543]Simply not true. I have lived near University and I-75 for the past five years. The diverging diamond has done wonders for traffic flow. With the exception traffic leaving Lakewood Ranch between 4:30 and 6:00pm, there's hardly ever a back up. And during those times it only takes about two light cycles to get through - a total of maybe five minutes.

Furthermore, they have extended Lorraine Road down to Fruitville, which has relieved even more traffic, and once Lakewood Ranch Blvd is completed to the south, you can expect even more relief.

Saying nothing is being done about the roads is preposterous.[/quote]

Correct, CORRECT. Again, the only entity that has been dragging its feet has been SARASOTA COUNTY ! witness how long it took for a simple extension of Cattlemen from, just south of Fruitville all the way through north to University! Look how long it's taking for the southbound extension of LWR blvd into Sarasota COUNTY, Look how long it's taking for the ALREADY APPROVED 30 yrs AGO widening of Honore through the Meadows southbound into Sarasota County !

Contrast how short of time relatively speaking it took for Manatee County to upgrade University, build and extend LWR BLVD north to 64, and the Honore to 63rd extension north, SR70 upgrade, and the northbound extension of Lockwood Ridge Road all the way to SR 70 and BEYOND (now called 47th) northbound, the widening of SR 64, the improvements done to access of I75/SR64, and the planning, building and completing the new 44th Ave east west corridor from LWR/Range to connect all the way west to Cortez.........and the list could go on and on
Nope, by comparison, Sarasota County Commission is resistant to lots of development, and has been so since 1979/80 when they reluctantly approved a "far east development" called the Meadows...LOL...they even scoffed at widening TUTTLE from 12th, northbound with turning lanes.
Wake up, this town's traffic handling has indeed improved. Of Course, further imrovements will be inevitable- just look at the very constant work that was done on 285 around ATL over the decades! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area